• Hellhog - March 17, 2011 12:26 a.m.

I will always stand by that Pre-Order bonuses are terrible. The only game that has made it fair is Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Just a code to input into the extras that anyone could access as it was one code for all. The problem is I can't buy a game from Best Buy, Amazon, Wal-Mart, and GameStop at the same time losing out on content. Worst of all, it has become a monetary business for gamers to sell codes at rediculous prices. Remember Transformers War for Cybertron? $100 for the Best Buy code, $50 for the Amazon code, and $30 for the GameStop code. One month later all hit XBLM for $8 together making the winners of ebay auctions look stupid. I talked a customer when working last weekend out of buying a Money Pak which she thought she needed to sell on Ebay using PayPal. She told me what was being sold (even though I didn't ask), "My son is selling game characters". My reaction "Oh that thing". The kids sister/girlfriend/random female follower laughed when I reacted to what the mom said. Either way, pre-order bonuses are a nice inncentive to pre-order, but not when every retailer has a different bonus. When that is the case, the gamer loses no matter where he/she buys from, and in order to get them pre-order from multiple places, spend money on ebay, or have a friend on the inside (so happy I had a friend to get me the GameStop content for Mass Effect 2). I wouldn't mind them if every retailer has the same bonus. I'm sick of the terrible quality machinima like commercials that gamestop has too, they are so dumb. It doesn't help when all retailers content then goes for sale later, but GameStop's never does. Oh, good article too. Almost forgot that :)
  • vanguard - March 17, 2011 12:24 a.m.

Damn Bobby Kotick, spawn of satan.
  • Yeager1122 - March 17, 2011 12:24 a.m.

Great article agree with the dlc but really only map packs annot me things like lair of the shadow broker and ballad of gay tony i love and would gladly pay for because they dont feel like they were cut out of the original game and sold later.
  • SeriousSean - March 17, 2011 12:20 a.m.

DLC: Valve = Doing it right Dragon Age 2 = **** you
  • CoryRX8 - March 17, 2011 12:18 a.m.

The only one that I disagree with is pre-order "bonuses". Not only do you get locked out of content if you don't pre-order, but since every store has a different "bonus", you get locked out of content no matter what you do! I'm just glad that just about every developer ends up releasing the pre-order content as paid DLC later on. I'm also with Daruniah about extra content... I miss old-school expansion packs, even if they were more expensive. Cheap, bite-sized, and self-contained DLC pretty much killed well thought-out full-sized expansions (MMOs, Oblivion's Shivering Isles, and Dragon Age's Awakening being notable exceptions), and we're definitely worse off for it.
  • mockraven - March 17, 2011 12:14 a.m.

I kind of lean towards the old grump in most cases. The dirty, gritty graphics get old, especially when it's just done in a lazy way. Fallout 3 was pure laziness with the use of a filter to make the already washed-out colours shades of yellow. Post-apocalypse doesn't have to be ugly, just as Enslaved proved. Motion controls, when done right are fun but when over-used or used badly are just asking for tendinitis or other injuries related to repetitive motion. Premium content that provides explicit advantages in gameplay kind of irk me, those that are purely aesthetic in form are fine. As for DLC, I don't mind that as long as it's not essential to the base game's functionality or storyline, or done in the way Bioware did the release of Dragon Age 2. You pre-order it from any store and you get the "signature" edition which has a bunch of added content for no extra charge. It was a really good way provide day-one-sales-boosting incentive. DLC in general, to me, is miniature expansion packs that just aren't big enough to get that $30-40 price tag but are enjoyable enough to still sell and extend the life of an existing game. Borderlands is a fantastic example with their DLC distribution, content, and pricing.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - March 17, 2011 12:11 a.m.

@Eliath Hopefully they will anyways. Good article, guys- by the way, the first Photoshop isn't exactly beautifully done. :P But other than that, great job.
  • Defguru7777 - March 17, 2011 12:07 a.m.

I'm only nineteen and I agree with almost everything that the elderly gamer says (except FPSes and DLC when its done right).
  • Eliath - March 16, 2011 11:57 p.m.

I agree with everything in this article. My only complaint with this article is the fact that it has eight topics instead of seven. This would have been fun to listen to on TalkRadar.
  • fetalspray - March 16, 2011 11:49 p.m.

The only two on this list that piss me off are pre-order bonuses, I dont mind it if its just a asthetic change like a gold gun or new outfit for the character but when its something like an extra mission and bonus areas that extend playtime thats just out of order. The other is young gamers online specifically when the game has an 18 certificate, it just gives the media excuses to have a pop at the games industry as they just go for the idea that it gives kids violent tendencies completely overlooking the fact that its clearly certificated therfore the parents who bought it for them are to blame.
  • irritatedming - March 16, 2011 11:38 p.m.

You're right, we should just roll over and take whatever shitty/immoral business strategy the gaming industry forces us into. Maybe Ben Griffin is used to being the bitch in a relationship, but when I see a practice that I think is bullshit, I'm gonna call it like I see it.
  • chiz - March 16, 2011 11:06 p.m.

there are a lot more things older gamers complain about like difficultly, and how new gamers complain about graphics too much but this is still a good article
  • Sensationo - March 16, 2011 11:04 p.m.

I think the only thing out of these that bugs me is the dlc map packs, granted I don't play many console shooters, but I still think it is pretty sad when a dlc package can prevent you from playing with your friends (valve spoiled me). Motion controls are fine if done right, but oh so depressing when they are poorly made. Guess my real complaint is bad voice acting, and laggers in ssf4.
  • kyle94 - March 16, 2011 10:59 p.m.

I agree with the old gamer most of the time. Too many games go with the gritty look, and are just ugly shades of gray. I don't mind that in some games (the Fallout games need it, for example), but EVERY bloody game doesn't need it. If you want the game to look gritty and realistic, go outside. Unless you live in post-apocalyptic Detroit, the world doesn't look like that. And part of me doubts that the makers of Dead to Rights Retribution were really concerned about mood when they were making everything gray, for example. And I also don't like DLC. Mostly because I'm a cheap bastard and don't like to pay for additional stuff, and it's annoying when they continue the story. Even more annoying when it's a game that makes it unsure whether or not it is important to the story.
  • Daruniah - March 16, 2011 10:56 p.m.

This article reminds me of a time when extra content for a game came in the form of an expansion pack.
  • Myko - March 16, 2011 10:54 p.m.

UHHHH MOANGASIM, and I would beat that kid upside the head if he was mine.
  • tomthespesh - March 16, 2011 10:53 p.m.

I'm only 19 yet I agree with all of these aside from the FPS one (Though I do find meself playing DOOM 1 & 2 more at the moment). But yeah things like launch day DLC does annoy me as it does seem like shameless money grabbing. I'd rather DLC not be announced for a little while after, for example I knew Reach would have DLC but I don't recall hearing about it before the game was released.
  • Kage_No_Shi - March 16, 2011 10:34 p.m.

@Redeater - I agree. Post-game releases are very nice, so long as they weren't cut from the game specifically to sell it as a separate DLC (or worse, they DO include it on the disk/DL but force you to pay to unlock it). I'm looking at you Disgaea 3! (game was riddled with 100KB unlock DLCs Disgaea 4 will likely be the same). @Arucard04 - Ditto. The so called 'open minded gamer' came off as sounding like someone who just accepts things the way they are now, and tries to justify it. I mean, some of the grumpy old gamer complaints were justified, and some of the new trends are fine. My biggest beef is partially DLC and partially pre-order incentives. I'm fine if, as I mentioned above, the game pay for DLC is actually justified (not unlocking stuff on the disk, or paying for stuff that was cut from the full game just to make it DLC). Pre-order incentives can suck. Sometimes you have to choose between two or three (sometimes four) retailers and their bonuses. I'm looking at you, Fallout New Vegas! Sure, usually the bonuses don't amount to too much, but it still means people will miss out on some stuff no matter what they choose. Pre-order bonuses in general are nice incentives to buy new games though, as opposed to used, or waiting for the price to drop down. It's just sometimes it feels like they're playing dirty pool with consumers. Eh, it's business I suppose, and business can be a bloody ugly thing...
  • red069 - March 16, 2011 10:22 p.m.

not really an old gamer.. but i hate motion controls too... and i am not a fan of DLC because it turns 60$ games into 70 or 80$ games if you buy them all.... which is a rip off..
  • Arucard04 - March 16, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Open-Minded Gamer should have been called "New gamer who takes whatever is presented to him and likes it." At least, that's how it comes off. Ideally, you'd want to be somewhere between the two.