• Hypermonkey262 - October 7, 2009 11:19 a.m.

That pic of Brett just made my morning.
  • SHAD0WNINJA - October 7, 2009 10:47 a.m.

So true so true
  • TheGiaour - October 7, 2009 10:29 a.m.

I like you guys own up to being a part of the perception of gaming stereotypes (which was a really fun article by the way, I could lump each of my friends in each stereotype apart from the snot-nosed little kid type) and also saying how much fun it is. Hell, even I'll own up to that because I'll be the first in a drinking crowd to start bashing on gamer stereotypes, and then move on to bashing frat boys, preps, emos, goths, women, etc. Its all good fun. Any person who has any passion can be made fun of, from cars to sports to games. Anyone who can take the ribbing in good fun I say should always dish it out tenfold to everyone else. Spreads the love.
  • TheWebSwinger - October 7, 2009 6:52 a.m.

TECHNICALLY that's not correct.
  • matt588 - October 7, 2009 3:47 a.m.

back in 2007 when wii bashing was getting started I thought to myself "surely when people realize that there are quality games such as Zelda Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, and Okami the wii will start getting the respect it deserves" 2+ years later and I'm still wrong. PS. although it is not be the same, video games do cause violence due to very bad games, (I wanted to find a sword and start cutting people up after I played Red Steel) also for the wii lol
  • moredhel_1 - October 7, 2009 3:33 a.m.

Great article, Tyler! And THANK YOU for getting in some PvZ (a.k.a. Plants vs. Zombies). I love, love, love that game. Also, because I have two meat paws for hands and function much better on a pc, I only own a Wii for a console - thank you for again bringing up one of the few, fine examples of a great game on the system. Again, well researched, and funny!
  • ChrisAntistaSmellsLikePizza - October 7, 2009 2:47 a.m.

This was really funny, definately the starcraft thing. I had seen that shirt Brett was wearing but never noticed that it was an FMA shirt. FMA IS THE BEST THING EVER.
  • Yeager1122 - October 7, 2009 2:07 a.m.

So mamy streotypes the media is the worst with the violent videogames cause kids to kill.
  • vitoruss - October 7, 2009 1:26 a.m.

I lived in the Philippines for a year and my school's population was 55% Korean. Needless to say, there were school-sponsored Starcraft and Counterstrike tournaments all year- I kid you not. I have no idea why those Koreans like those games as much as they do.
  • richtaur - October 7, 2009 1:18 a.m.

Now to get Brett to actually play Plants VS Zombies!
  • RatPuncher - October 7, 2009 1 a.m.

Using "'Killing' characters in a video game" as a measure of aggression seems like cheating; when achieving the goal of the game requires killing NPCs, of course you're going to see a lot of digital death, so using as a measure of aggression is just futile and doesn't prove anything.
  • AlexMercer1337 - October 7, 2009 12:46 a.m.

The StarCraft one is so true, there's this Korean kid in my art class and he never stops talking about Starcraft.
  • onewingedantista - October 7, 2009 12:18 a.m.

Yes!! My parents won't let me buy M games because "all they're about is killing hookers and blowing up pedestrians!!" It makes me sick, all that misinformation. reCAPTCHA: luger financial Official Bank of Hitler?
  • AMayer - October 7, 2009 12:17 a.m.

They're so good at it that sometimes they die! I wish I was that good at video games!
  • civver - October 6, 2009 11:45 p.m.

Hey, don't blame the researchers. Blame the sensationalizing media, politicians, and other people who distort science for their own nefarious purposes.
  • GamesRadarMikelReparaz - October 6, 2009 11:06 p.m.

@DaveBoyle: Of course Tyler didn't "forget" about Jeff Gerstmann, but that's not a case of a games journalist being on the take from a game publisher. (If anything, it's the opposite.) There's also more to the story than just Jeff getting fired for one review, although so long as nobody's discussing specifics, it's impossible to know HOW much more there is. It's also not the kind of thing that happens frequently in our industry; if it did, it wouldn't have generated headlines. Feel free to lump it in with the "couple of shady cases" Tyler mentions.
  • WonsAuto - October 6, 2009 11:04 p.m.

Fun Fact! Red Sox legend Ted Williams is also, erm, "chillin'" at Alcor.
  • lava_lamp - October 6, 2009 10:32 p.m.

i want that headcrab hat :D
  • sklorbit - October 6, 2009 10:26 p.m.

ya seven is true. the ones that suck are part chinese or something
  • prahanormal - October 6, 2009 10:03 p.m.

7 is totally true. I know 3 Koreans and all of them play Starcraft.