• ultimatepunchrod - August 2, 2010 4:26 p.m.

the nub is better than the PSP's?! i should hope so since this is coming out over 5 YEARS after the PSP. gotta be honest, every single game journalist that writes anything is against the psp. and i hate that. whatever. the 3DS is probably going to be good, but to be honest i wish that the hyperbole would cease. and i sincerely doubt that the resi screens are actually in-game, they look on par with consoles, so i think thats not real. of course, i dont know that, but thats just what i think.
  • CandiedJester - August 2, 2010 4:15 p.m.

GNYAAAA I want it to release alreadyyyyyyyyyyyy!! I want one so, so, soooooooooo badly. >W<
  • HotCyder - August 2, 2010 4:09 p.m.

I'm so excited for this console. Probably not as excited as the pointer sisters, but still pretty excited.
  • Marcunio88 - August 2, 2010 3:02 p.m.

@ pollenski When your taling about resolutions your missing out a key point. The size of the 3DS screen is very important. It has an effective resolution of 400x250 as you said but because it is so small this gives a pixel density of roughly 28,000 pixels per square inch. This is about the same as a 1280x720 (720p) 32" TV. Now this is nowhere near as high as the iphone 4 screen, but to the vast majority of us who aren't pushing our faces up against the screen to see the pixels it's gonna look pretty damn good. Also from the few videos I've seen the screen looks like it's pretty high quality in regards to contrast ratio, brightness, response time etc. Taking all of this into account it may well look as good as an iphone 4 screen to an untrained eye such as Dave claims to have. Anyway good article, I just want to see some gameplay now!
  • litrock - August 2, 2010 2:47 p.m.

Even without the 3D I would get it because it's Nintendo's next handheld, and the DS has been the best dedicated games platform of this generation (not quite a PC in terms of versatility, but otherwise the clear winner in terms of amazing experiences). Want. Glad to see someone else enthusiastic about portable gaming.
  • pollenski - August 2, 2010 1:48 p.m.

BTW sorry to Dave M (wrong side of bed this morning) - I understand the title of the piece is about the tech AND Im always excited by mazza kart/mgs and res evil - but I do like to wind up fanboys :D BUT it's not really a top 6 reasons is it...it's a top 2 - well done 3D and a nice thumbstick with a maybe a 3rd and 4th hinted at - some good game developers working on it and a decent gpu inside
  • Games_Radar_DaveMeikleham - August 2, 2010 1:13 p.m.

@EgonSpengler Let's just say they moved me... TO A BIGGER HOUSE! Oh shit, I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud. :(
  • pollenski - August 2, 2010 1:12 p.m.

The caption was "Sounds like hyperbole? It ain't"....but it is. Yes Nintendo make great games (I have a DS). Yes I'm interested in seeing it. BUT...I'm interested in accurate journalism too. Of course I remember when games were fun AND they still are otherwise I wouldn't play them anymore after over 20 years you moron. From the various guises of Mario (since the NES), Sonic (since the Megadrive), Mario Kart (SNES onwards), GTA's, Cannon Fodders, Sensible Soccers, Syndicate, Virtua Cops, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Monkey Islands - I played AND enjoyed them all - hell I even remember playing on the Donkey Kong Game and Watch at school in the playground! This article doesn't mention gameplay ONCE. The closest Dave M comes is talking about the quality of the thumbstick and letting the player move the camera in MGS. Big WHOOP, camera controls. This article is ALL about the graphics and he has overvalued them from the start by saying it is as good as HD and as good as the iphone. Both factually wrong. "OMG It says Nintendo I want one" "OMG it says 3D I want one" Fan-fuckin-tard idiots
  • MikeMov89 - August 2, 2010 12:56 p.m.

I can't wait, I'm always excited for any new hardware. I just hope Nintendo surprises us all and announces in September that the 3DS will be out for Christmas, even though they most likely want to clear out the stock of the DSi in that period.
  • EgonSpengler - August 2, 2010 12:24 p.m.

Did Nintendo slip you 500 bucks to big up the 3DS? Cos it worked, you charlatan.
  • markshell - August 2, 2010 12:23 p.m.

I agree. I haven't been this excited by a game machine since I was a kid. This is first-day-purchase material for sure. And I don't get the (very) few people getting all grumpy about the 3DS saying it's overhyped. 3D, touchscreen awesomeness, regular buttons, analog stick, better graphics, supposedly improved online interactivity, new games, new partnerships and a testified overall aprovement by critics who had their hands on it. It has WIN all over it.
  • DynamicJul - August 2, 2010 12:20 p.m.

Way to bring up the excitement meter. Now I HAVE TO buy the 3DS
  • reverandglass - August 2, 2010 11:59 a.m.

for sale: 1 kidney in full working order. Forget about 3d if you're too cynical to embrace your inner child. The games on the 3ds look much more fun than anything anyone else is doing at the moment. Remember when games were fun? Not just a brown challenge of moving a crosshair from one target to the next? Personally I can't wait to have this little dream machine even if it does only have vhs quality resolutions (yawn!)
  • Cyberninja - August 2, 2010 11:45 a.m.

for people who dont want 3d they can turn it off and in theoy they could use the extra power to make xbox 360 quility grapics if running a full power needless to say this is dave ms opinion if you dont like the system dont get no need to complain.
  • pollenski - August 2, 2010 11:34 a.m.

What a pointless article! It's just you having a wank over the latest gameboy - Did you do any research or just clutch your man meat in one hand whilst staring at Jill Valentine? It has a res of 800x250 which is less than HALF the iphones 960x640...and it's using half them pixels for each eye in 3D mode which brings it down to about a QUARTER. If it's better than Blu-ray then you've obviously got some whack AV gear in your house (no matter how much it cost - you sound like someone in marketing's dream project). Blu-ray has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (about 10 times the 3ds) and done properly makes your eyes bleed - think a Sim2 projector fed from a premium player, not a crap lcd screen fed from a £90 argos job (or even a ps3 - lots of unnecessary electronics inside = more interference with the final signal). The 3ds' resolution IN 3D MODE is about the same as VHS was. IN STANDARD this is doubled, which is still less than half that of DVD. On the plus...well not negative side - I can't wait to see the 3D effect myself especially on Mario Kart and yes it is technically astounding that ALL of these tiny, tiny things have the resolution of 'full-size' products which were only made redundant about 10 years ago.
  • sl4y4 - August 2, 2010 11:19 a.m.

At the end of the day, it's a handheld capable of producing 3D graphics. whoop. whoop. yawn. I don't like this whole 3D bollocks overtaking the industry, I'll stick to my 2d consoles and handhelds thanks.
  • Tronto13 - August 2, 2010 10:57 a.m.

Ive lost faith in Nintendo handhelds since the DS's arrived, i loved the Gameboys i just wasnt sold on the touchscreen stuff. But ive got to admit the 3DS looks impressive... Now my only concern is with what price tag it'll arrive with :/
  • Felixthecat - August 2, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Agreed with everything in the article. You only have to look at the thing to start welling up with semen. In other words, I'm super hyper mega excited.
  • tichtat - August 2, 2010 10:55 a.m.

Everything embarrasses the PSP Go. Still, Greatest handheld ever.
  • Ninjadmin - August 2, 2010 10:18 a.m.

Good read. Your enthusiasm really came across in that. However, I just cant get excited about it. As impressive as the tech may be, theres something about handheld gaming I just dont like. I find myself getting really bored, really quickly. I think in the years I owned a DS ive played it for a grand total of 6 hours. 5 of those were on Ouendan & Elite Beat Agents. Handhled games just dont do it for me at all but im not entirely sure why. The price is also a big factor. im never going to spend £30 on a DS/3DS game when PS3/360 games cost the same amount & even less. Im sorry, but its just not going to happen. Give me the option of Mass Effect 2 for £15 (which I bought it for a month or 2 back) or New Super Mario on DS for £25 (ive yet to see it cheaper) & theres just absolutely no contest for me which im going to buy. Handheld games should be £15-20. Thats just me though. Millions love the DS & I predict the 3DS will break all sales records when released.