We Recommend

• CancerMan - February 24, 2011 6:35 p.m.

f
  • NeelEvil - February 24, 2011 6:22 p.m.

@Everyone: the unskippable story conversations count as cut-scenes in my mind, & I'd like to be able to skip through them like any other conversation. Somebody already mentioned the invisible walls bit, Fallout 3 was full of them in the D.C ruins
  • d0x - February 24, 2011 5:43 p.m.

Halo has always had the worst AI drivers. They are so bad its funny. It really makes no sense because your enemies seem to be able to drive just fine but those damn marines are the worst! As for checkpoints...I hate the checkpoints that start you off before the hard encounter but minus any gear you used to get there. So I might have went into a boss fight with say 500 bullets. 10 rockets and some grenades but when I die and start at the checkpoint now all I have is 100 bullets and thats it. I should start with whatever I had before! Plus if you keep dying at the same part the game should see it and say ok he's having an issue lets reduce the hit points of the boss a little bit to help him out. Eventually you either beat the boss or never play the game again and its shame when its the later.
  • GwaR - February 24, 2011 5:38 p.m.

@ nragedTortoise1 Mandatory combat should NEVER have been in Mirror's Edge design, seeing as how the game wasn't really made for it and didn't handle it well. The sign-posting was so poor and the level design so convoluted in some areas, however, that you had no choice but to go commando on everyone just to get through. And yes, the sign-posting in Mirror's Edge was pretty poor in a lot of the levels, despite the color coding. I can't count the number of times I blind leaped off a building to my death because I thought I was going the right way. It also didn't help that the color coding only showed up when it felt like it.
  • yonderTheGreat - February 24, 2011 5:20 p.m.

@Robx: You had to try your damnedest to reach invisible walls in Oblivion, and when I talk Bethesda, I generally mean TES, not Fallout, but yeah, I'll give you that. Beerbaron disagrees with you about FNV.
  • sgloomy - February 24, 2011 5:17 p.m.

It really irritates me when i can't jump over a fence a 4 year old could when only minutes before i was climbing a freaking skyscraper, it makes no sense.
  • matt588 - February 24, 2011 4:54 p.m.

i've got 3 more for you: 1. for COD, bring back painkiller; nuketown especially has people that stand on the deck spawn killing people 2. COD/HALO, getting stuck on door frames and half foot-gutters 3. God of War 2 (p.s. how are we going to sort god from gears, they are both GOW), offering to lower the difficulty for easier combat when an environment puzzle is where you keep losing
  • QWERTYCommander - February 24, 2011 4:51 p.m.

I agree with you on the unclear signposting. I was playing De Blob and in order to find the exit to a level, I had to get up to the tallest building and rotate the camera. And even then I couldn't find it.
  • Sinosaur - February 24, 2011 4:49 p.m.

The worst invisible walls are the ones that look like you should be able to get past them, because it's really just kind of a short wall and it looks like that other wall you climbed over/jumped over and it looks like there's stuff a place to go on the other side. Those are actually pretty rare, but I know I've spent a good minute or two on occasion trying to reach some awesome place I can't! ...and then it turns out you can get back there and you just have to walk a few more feet down the hallway and you feel like an idiot.
  • garnsr - February 24, 2011 4:27 p.m.

A lot of these require trial-and-error to figure out nowadays, too. What does it mean when you lose all your lives, that the game's totally over, or you restart from a checkpoint, or go back to the hubworld? If the game autosaves, will quitting restart the level, or bring me back where it told me it saved? If an AI character dies, do I die? They rarely tell you what's going on, so all you can do is try it and see what happens, since so many games have different ways of using these systems.
  • MJSHappy - February 24, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I'm surprised he didn't mention game characters spouting the exact same stock line repeatedly.
  • ChiChiRocket - February 24, 2011 3:34 p.m.

With the advent of Minecraft, you realize you need the structure that invisible walls provide. An endless open world is too much freedom for gamers. We need invisible walls in MORE games.
  • sirdilznik - February 24, 2011 3:28 p.m.

I fully agree about the invisible walls, that drives me insane.
  • Woodsey - February 24, 2011 3:26 p.m.

My biggest beef is with boss fights. In 30 years, the only thing most people can come up with still is creating some big b*stard for the sole purpose of fighting, or having a normal villain become a big b*stard through no logic whatsoever.
  • Imthedoctor - February 24, 2011 3:23 p.m.

How would you play mario without the lives system? Those kind of need it, i mean..it's not whenever you run into a goomba you're screen will get all red and you'll have maybe 1 or 2 more shots to heal yourself :P Sorry but there's just nothing i can really see wrong with the lives system :/ or the invisible walls thing..well i can, but there's not much you can do about it, i havn't had too much of a problem with the level boundries in recent games (good ones :P I don't play alot of crap..you review them, so i can see where you're coming from)
  • Helios - February 24, 2011 3:17 p.m.

WAIT! Alyx Vance is invincible? Then why do I remember her dying in Episode 2 or something when she got blown to smithereens by one of those suicidal "Zombines?"
  • Fiirestorm21 - February 24, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Excellent, excellent piece, haha.
  • Robx - February 24, 2011 3:09 p.m.

@yonderTheGreat Actually, their top games, Oblivion and Fallout 3 have invisible walls that just show up a message like "You can't travel this way." I haven't seen that message in New Vegas, but I have found some spots which can be jumped over and have invisible walls right behind, and I don't even want to talk about the awful walls of the hills/mountains.
  • Aletheon - February 24, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Some games benefit from having the lives system. I have no problem with that most of the time.
  • Fr00b - February 24, 2011 2:24 p.m.

lol, i think i got your "Labrynth" joke