• graham-fearon - December 28, 2013 10:16 a.m.

I want to see cross platform gaming within all aspects of gaming right the way through into mobile games would like to see these gaming giants come together and put an end to this so called console war I also would like to see some dev's do some collaborating and start making some substantial games we will really appreciate instead of these annual gold rushes we keep getting lets see these studios take the time out from there projects and make some real changes instead eg. The new crossover for zelda imagine an actual main story crossover with the devs at santa monica studios ,square enix and ubisoft for a tomb raider game Or EA & activision for a BF/COD crossover i think this us next gen lets move out of the box i think gaming will only move forward when the devs take a step back from just using the old formula lets see some evolution !!
  • usmovers_02 - December 28, 2013 9:13 a.m.

My god. Why is it that EVERY time someone makes a list like this loading times come up? Have people forgotten that as graphics get better file sizes skyrocket? To achieve double the graphics quality usually requires 4x the resources.
  • cosmiccatnip - December 28, 2013 10:52 a.m.

But now we have faster data transfers with hybrid HD, Bluray, higher streaming RAM, ect, load times shouldn't take more than a few seconds. (Barring online load times)
  • KnightDehumidifier - December 28, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Creativity. Remember that? When you could have creativity, and imagination, and with these two concepts you could create endless ideas. I don't know what happened to that that in this industry, where every game is a man who has a gun and shoots people in the face with said gun. It's set in an environment that is either a ravaged war zone, a post-apocalyptic landscape, or in an urban landscape. If there is fantasy, it just replaces gun with swords, and it's in a medieval or woodland environment. I'm not pushing for the "Blue Sky In Games" rhetoric, or to bring back mascot wars, but if you are given technology that goes far beyond what we have experienced, why are we still playing the same damn games from five years ago with a shinier coat of paint? You can throw words at me saying, "Quality has changed, experiences are made better, and boundaries are being pushed.", but if selling points for the future are more ways for me to shoot a man in the face in 1080P/60 FPS with all the brilliant effects and lighting and nonsense, then you have to give me something else. Maybe the video game industry has done what Hollywood has succeeded upon; running out of ideas and banking on the same old same old with new technology.
  • bruno-galassi - December 28, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Man, your comment was the most brillant video game analysis I read in years. I agree with you in part. Most of what we have now is just more and more of the same.
  • Dave2123 - April 10, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Not sure about the 1080p comment. You said most, but not 100%, are in 1080p. Yes, most, in fact all of my games, UPSCALE to 1080p, but there are only a handful that are native 1080p, which looks better by the way. We need 100% of games native 1080p not upscaled, as pretty much all of them are upscaled 1080p now. Perhaps not for PS3 as its upscaler's not quite as good but if you have a full HD television it should upscale them anyway with no problem. Also on the graphics subject, we definitely need consistently high frame rates. Also, we need devs to spend more time when they port games from xbox to PS, assuming it'll be the same next gen, otherwise the playstation's graphics will be inferior again despite having the better specs.
  • jsty3105 - March 18, 2013 6:40 a.m.

#43 - To a very large extent, the Wii U already has this in place. Michael Haveri of Frozenbyte Games - “Simply put they’ve told us that there are no basic payments for each patch (which were pretty high on most platforms) and that we can update our game almost as much as we want. For indie developers this is huge.”
  • Rub3z - March 17, 2013 2:09 a.m.

David Houghton, I have said it before and I will merrily say it once again, I love you, and I usually never, ever find it in me to disagree with you. But as for point numbers 28 and 35 (slides 29 and 36 respectively), in which you say "Using analogue sticks to play 2D platformers just isn't the same," and comment on a dearth of platformers by mentioning Braid, Limbo, and Fez; continuing by saying "Don't let Nintendo take all the credit for keeping them alive again..." Come on now, Dave. I know you're better than that. You have heard of a little game called Super Meat Boy, right? And another, not-quite-so-little game called Rayman Origins? Silly Dave. It's okay, you of all people can be excused for being forgetful. I don't hold it against you or anything. :)
  • Skullkan6 - March 10, 2013 4:03 p.m.

For #19. Arma 2 is already doing that.
  • Miruki - March 9, 2013 2:05 p.m.

Split-screen or Couch gaming for Godssake! OR have all of you forgot how fun it was to ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES WITH FRIENDS! I'm talking about actually playing with friends. Like IN PERSON. NOT A ZILLION MILES AWAY ON THE INTERNET. Which is cool, sure. But it should never come at the expense of the-old-school-2UP-gaming.
  • dcobs123 - March 10, 2013 4:08 p.m.

I'm with you, it's one the major advantages consoles have over pc's yet it's been losing support.
  • tr1ggerf1nger - March 8, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Excellent article. This is why I love gamesradar. Agree with pretty much everything here; frame rate, resolution, and dlc in particular. Thank you Houghton, let's hope the right ears are listening.
  • Greylock3491 - March 8, 2013 4:55 a.m.

Great job on the article! But I would like to suggest one more: Don't require unneeded or unrelated downloads. Here's two examples: (1) I wanted to watch Netflix on my 360 but was forced to wait 15 minutes for some unknown unrelated Xbox live update which had no visible effect on the XBOX or Netflix. While it was updating I just moved to another room and watched Netflix on my blu ray player which never requires updates to watch netflix. (2) I want to play some BF3 - you know the original levels that came out day one. BUT, to play those original levels I'm forced to download a 1.5gb update which includes the just released game modes and maps. Really? Come on guys - you have like 16gb's of updated on my hard drive now - why in the world should I need every massive patch to play the original modes? Ugh.
  • NatDaGamer - March 7, 2013 2:55 p.m.

Definitely agree with the platformers one!! They were my absolute favourite games!! I mean, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sonic Heroes.. Where are my childhood fond memories gone!? And also more futuristic cities, like the city in Sonic Heroes, or Mega Man. WE WANT THE FUTURE!!!
  • CrashmanX - March 7, 2013 2:14 p.m.

AHHH YES! GamesRadar keep putting out the good articles! I don't always agree with your reviews (To each their own) but these articles are so good! There wasn't a single point on this list I didn't agree with!
  • wadesmit - March 7, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Oh my oh my, the topic of real cheats in games has been a sour one for me since the start of the last/current gen. Whatever happened to silly-as-fuck cheats like in Medal of Honour or ones that help you finish games when you get too lazy? Bring them back, please, bring back my cheat codes. It's how I found Gamesradar, they flavoured my life as a young gamer, and I would like them back in my life soon. Please.
  • ohitsyoubob - March 7, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Forgot to add retailer exclusive preorder crap and cross platform multi player support. Diablo 3 on the PS3/4 should play with PC players. 100% agree with digital downloads being cheaper than retail versions.