Topics

Nintendo

• Talvrae - July 21, 2014 1 p.m.

I still think that jRPG are no true RPG anyway
  • JMarsella09 - July 21, 2014 5:36 a.m.

I would argue that Persona 3 and 4 avoids most of these.
  • _LuKR_ - August 20, 2013 12:10 p.m.

When talking about the music, you could have said that the music in this game occupy more space than whole SNES games. 8 Megabits of music against 4 Megabits of Super Mario World.
  • mafyooz - August 20, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Even more irritating than than repetitive music is the recent trend for characters to say the same four or five phrases at the start and end of fights. I love Ni no Kuni, but there have been times when I've wanted to punch Oliver's teeth in for yelling "Let's do it!" every other time a battle starts
  • DesmaX - August 19, 2013 8:50 p.m.

Well, I'd say NIS is pretty good at doing these things. 1) Well, their games never really force you to get into unnecesary battles, like in Disgaea item world and ZHP/GFP dungeons (Saving some occasional guardians, of course). Sure, there will be obligatory battles, but they always throw something like puzzles to make it interessing. And, if I'm correct, The Witch and the Hundred Knights NPC/Enemies have a bar showing their emotions toward the player, that being Fear/Love/Hatred (Or something). If it goes to fear, I'll assume they'll run away from you. Can't confirm. 2) Well, Disgaea 4 has a political setting, ZHP has a Tokusatsu setting, The Witch and the Hundred Knights has that dark fairy tale thing going on... they're good at that. 3) Their games do have a lot of battle themes, and they constantly change too. One good example I can think of is ZHP extra dungeons, where the music played is determined by the equipment you're wearing. To explain it better, the music there is divided in 5 parts, and equipping a certain type of item will change one of the parts of the music (Changing the equipment in the head changes the first part of the music, for example). 4) No discussion there, their games have a great sense of humor. 5) Really no discussion there, you could say their games just starts after beating the main story (Hell, the trophy you get by beating D4 main story is called "The end of the beginning"). Oh well, I only played Mother 3, to be honest (What a great game). Guess I'll put Earthbound in my list too
  • agentkuo - August 19, 2013 6:24 p.m.

Paper Mario also used a system where weak enemies would die without you having to battle them (maybe this was a badge). I think Paper Mario is another RPG that a lot of modern RPG's could take some advise/direction from as well. On another note, Costume Quest is another RPG that is set in a modern, urban environment, with a down-to-earth plot (the trick-or-treating part, I mean). These are the RPG's that really stick with me, and mean something to me. These are the RPG's that I want to play again, and come back to. Not the Final Fantasy's or the Elder Scroll's or Disgaea's or Persona's. Because, while those RPG's have their differences, as a whole, they are largely more of the same.
  • g1rldraco7 - August 19, 2013 5:22 p.m.

I love the comparisons you've done here. Some games need to change to bring more fans, but tweaking the wrong pats can lead to losing it's edge. This has changed me my view of the genre.
  • ObliqueZombie - August 19, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Many modern RPGs do this... Problem is, not many, if any, do it all at once!
  • taokaka - August 19, 2013 5:01 p.m.

I haven't played earthbound, but I did give mother 3 a shot and got about 6-7 hours through it before never playing it again. I thought that some aspects of the game worked really well like most of what you have mentioned but some elements just held me back from thoroughly enjoying it. In regards to the points you have made I have a couple of arguments. Firstly, random encounters are a thing of the past, the only rpgs I could name while reading that slide that still uses them are the pokemon games. My other point is regarding the sense of humour, I personally think rpgs on the whole are the funniest genre out there. There are so many examples of funny rpgs I can give such as the persona series, the world ends with you, the tales of series, disgaea series, etc. Even skyrim, a game made with few intentional funny moments made me laugh a lot because of things like glitches or the stories people had to tell of their adventures.
  • pl4y4h - August 19, 2013 5:58 p.m.

My interest is piqued. What didn't you like?
  • taokaka - August 20, 2013 2:05 a.m.

It's not that I didn't like it on the whole (it's on my list of games to go back and give another shot), the reason I quit is because I have gaming ADHD and rpgs suffer greatly from it. I always get distracted by the next thing on the horizon which doesn't give me enough time to play 99% of the rpgs I start. In fact I just checked my save file after writing that paragraph and I hadn't even made it as far as I thought, I've only invested 3.5 hours which pretty much means if I try and discuss the game mechanics I'm going to be talking out of my ass seeing as just about every rpg only gets better within the first ten hours.
  • Vonter - August 19, 2013 4:07 p.m.

I think more RPGs could benefit of trying to tackle a modern setting rather than the favorites medieval and sci fi takes. Also adding humor, levity, quirkiness could be welcome. Also I don't know if Nintendo has a patent or something but turn based games that let you defend and bonify your attacks could also be nice. Immersion is also brought by giving more involvement to the player in this genre. Finally more interaction with the environment, it's incredible how so many games just put their concept art for esthetics rather as things to be interact with.
  • BladedFalcon - August 19, 2013 3:30 p.m.

The World Ends With you. Does all of this, Lucas, and arguably does them better in some respects. -Seriously, the game lets you pick your battles in an unique way that makes you WANT to fight, but never shoving encounters down your face or requiring you to grind. -Like earthbound, the setting is pretty much the modern, urban world of Tokyo, and the game does a fantastic job of playing with the setting, with the shops you buy items in being ACTUAL clothing or grocery shops and whatnot - The battle system is not only very unique, but the game has a soundtrack that varies in between battles, and changes the selection completely once a new chapter starts. -While the story does get a tad melodramatic at some points, specially at the beginning, it doesn't aim to be super grand scale, and during the entire story it always has plenty of sense of humor and silly scenes left and right, and that's to say nothing of the post ending side story... - Which leads me to my next point, the game KEEPS going even after the ending, with a very fun, bizarre side plot that has most of the characters act in an absurd parody of themselves, while also serving as a key part of the plot itself. Granted, haven't played earthbound myself, but them game might not be as unique as you make it sound.
  • shawksta - August 19, 2013 4:24 p.m.

To be fair, he's comparing it to modern RPG's these days that still continue the trend discussed. Otherwise 'The World Ends With You' is by far one of the memorable RPG's worth talking about in this generation. God Damn Square Enix, teasing people with hopes into a sequel to only end up as an Iphone port. Also that is not Lucas
  • BladedFalcon - August 19, 2013 4:27 p.m.

...Oh, you're right, it's Bob Mackey ._. Where the heck did I read it was from Lucas? that's completely my bad. And yeah, I get the point of the article, I am just pointing out that there IS a modern RPG that does pretty much all this XD
  • shawksta - August 19, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Yep, such a unique game TWEWY is
  • larkan - August 19, 2013 10:23 p.m.

Ni No Kuni does all of these too, and manages to add some heartfelt moments as well.
  • BladedFalcon - August 20, 2013 2:30 a.m.

I don't doubt that. Haven't played it yet, but I definitely will! it's already on my backlog XD
  • Zeos - August 19, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Seeing as how I've never really played this game, this article has given me the desire to finally play this game starting tonight I look forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.
  • garnsr - August 19, 2013 3:08 p.m.

Ni no Kuni does most of these things you say are good in Earthbound, with the weak enemies running away, and the sort of modern setting for parts, and the lightheartedness.