• TheGooseinator - March 11, 2014 3:55 p.m.

I'm flabbergasted by this sudden hate for Gone Home! The fact that Sam was able to be a teenager, that she was written to make impulsive decisions and mistakes, shows how strong of a character she is! She is faced with challenges, and she is forced to act in her own way rather than simply being forgiven, which showcases her willpower and willingness to fight for what she believes in. And although her relationship could be considered hackneyed, it wasn't defined by her sexuality, but rather by the love she felt for her significant other. It's rare that games showcase pure love the way that Gone Home did, and that's a beautiful thing.
  • Child Of Death - March 12, 2014 1:19 p.m.

The game was horribly overpriced for a hour long experience, tried to act like a horror game which it wasnt, and might as well be a book due to no gameplay mechanics whatsoever. There are a lot of things to hate about this game. Now if it was a free indie game I could see how people can appreciate it for what it is but for $20? The developers are ripping people off.
  • TheGooseinator - March 12, 2014 5:47 p.m.

The horror game influences are exactly what makes the game so great! It gears the audience up and makes them on edge, foreshadowing some sort of terrible fate. As the game goes on, however, you become more immersed in the story than anything, caring more about why your family did the things they did than where they ended up going. The game is almost a comment on the modern horror game, using established gaming conventions and expectations to deliver a bold and unique new type of gaming experience. As for the length and price, I care more about a games quality than it's running time, especially in the often brief "first person story" genre featuring games like Gone Home, Portal and Dear Esther. Plus, if price is really that big of an issue, then a sale is always imminent on Steam :)
  • mick-doyle - March 11, 2014 3:48 p.m.

You wouldn't mess without Commander Palmer from Halo 4
  • alex-roy-bristol - March 11, 2014 3:11 p.m.

No love for Heather from Silent Hill 3? :c
  • GoldenEagle1476 - March 11, 2014 3:11 p.m.

Clementine?
  • GR_AndyHartup - March 12, 2014 12:37 a.m.

Considered Clem, which is why she's on the last slide. I think she'll really develop in Walking Dead series 2, so once that is fully finished, I may update this list.
  • garnsr - March 11, 2014 1:47 p.m.

The Sunshine Orphanage is in Okinawa, not Osaka.
  • pl4y4h - March 11, 2014 1:32 p.m.

Without looking at the comments yet I'm gonna assume a topic like this is sure to spawn some crazy arguments. Alright time to look and..........yep. That is the inevitability of the internet right there
  • Vonter - March 11, 2014 2:49 p.m.

Just imagine when politic fiction or religions becomes more maturely handled and starts being more mainstream in games. YIKES, now that's a scary prospect.
  • pl4y4h - March 11, 2014 7:18 p.m.

Woah woah, it's not halloween yet! I'm not ready to be this frightened.
  • Vonter - March 11, 2014 9:19 p.m.

Hahahaha. Don't worry if it's like last year people will only complain if they see an amazon girl, or why Bayonetta is better or worse. Also curious how there hasn't been an anthropomorphic female lead. I mean if it were movies Mrs. Brisby is one of the best female leads, I mainly see a motherly figure being able to fit in the Heroe's Journey trope because instead of rescuing a prince its more relatable seeing a woman rescuing her children.
  • pl4y4h - March 11, 2014 9:51 p.m.

Now that you mention it......I'm trying to think of some and I can't grasp a single one. That should be fixed
  • gilgamesh310 - March 11, 2014 1:23 p.m.

I don't see why so many people make a bit deal out of fem shep. Loads of games for many years have given you a choice between male and female protagonist. They both often go through exact same motions in the game. Why must Shepard stand out? What makes her any different than a female character you may pick in Dark Souls? Also, where is Elizabeth? I found her to be a much better character than Alyx. There's also lots of other omissions here. Jade, Jennifer Tate and April Ryan are all much better than a lot on this list.
  • Vonter - March 11, 2014 11:19 a.m.

I think Juliet from Lollipop Chainsaw captured more the fake sex appeal aspect Bayonetta looked to do. Juliet character was a Bimbo but strangely in the game she just keep stating how capable she was at doing her thing, changing the gender role she had power over her love interest, and other tidbits like knowing several languages and being aware of her sorroundings even when being blinded by lovey dovey schticks she was capable. Bayonetta is powerful but I couldn't connect with her, she is more of an ideal than a character. I partially agree with Miss Croft, she was depicted as a more vulnerable character and her evolution was gradual... in cinematics. In gameplay on the other hand she is like any other action hero that broke what the cinematics tried to make me believe, because their is lack of consistency of her character when you play her than when you watch her doing things.
  • BladedFalcon - March 11, 2014 10:42 a.m.

" the way Samantha kicks back against society and the will of her parents is something to be admired." ...So making reckless, short sighted decisions brought out of rebellion and passion rather than true conviction, commitment or foresight is something to be admired now? Huh.
  • JusticeSoulTuna - March 11, 2014 10:52 a.m.

Apparently rebellion and a disregard for authority is a sign of a 'strong female character' lately. And am I the only one bothered by the first part of this post? How about 'here are some awesome female characters' not ' here are some female characters that aren't male fantasies'. Like wow, make it anymore obvious. I thought the whole point of this was to highlight good female characters IRRESPECTIVE of their gender. But they already made the gender of this an issue. Sheesh. I could be overreacting, but I swear everything's gotta be gender wars later
  • BladedFalcon - March 11, 2014 10:55 a.m.

It has, both that and the whole sexual orientation thing HAS to be highlighted and put in our faces at every turn because apparently, the road to equality has to be paved by calling attention to our differences, rather than to celebrate, y'know, what makes us equal.
  • JusticeSoulTuna - March 11, 2014 10:57 a.m.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. *sigh* So grows the dissonance
  • Vonter - March 11, 2014 11:43 a.m.

And still it has become easier to write about murderers, and people that put aside their values. I also think the only way most people seem to be shocked is when a woman puts aside the most emotional value she has because its a man's world and that stuff, kinda like Michelle Rodriguez character trope. Also the main women weapon of choice is a bow. Still this talks about tendencies that resonate more with male audiences, when you change the character for a woman you can't go through the same path all the way, because a woman would likely do it in another way. Also more limited since most female leads can't have a love interest.
  • GR_AndyHartup - March 11, 2014 11:13 a.m.

I take it you didn't buy into the romance in Gone Home, then? I totally did. There's little in the game to suggest that Sam and Lonnie's relationship isn't serious. I don't think that escaping from a broken home, with parents who don't acknowledge your life choices shows a lack of foresight. Seems like a perfectly valid decision to me. She clearly wasn't happy at home.