Topics

E3 Nintendo

• tehtimeisnow - June 14, 2012 11:10 p.m.

nitedno e3 was the werst thing i ever watched seruiosely i was at e3 trust me i now and cuz of that nitedno will fale so hard this year theres no way the can compete with the likes of the xobx or the iphone
  • Rub3z - June 14, 2012 10:06 p.m.

So I just started clicking through this feature, saying "meh," or "ehh," or "whatever" as I clicked past each reason until I got to ZOMG PLATINUM GAMES IS MAKING A GAME FOR WII U HOLY BRAZEN BUTTERBALLS. ... Yeah, that's pretty cool. Otherwise, I scrolled down and read Bladed Falcon's rebuttal of sorts and... dang. I totally understand where the criticism is coming from, but... I just think it's quite needless to go to such extremes sometimes. Hank was just tryin' to be positive, that's all. everything considered, I'm quite positive the U will be a jolly good time. Lots of people are going to buy it anyway. Lots of devs are starting their work on it. You build it, they will come (with the help of some advertising of course, but that's how the saying goes). At the very least, the U has piqued my interest. That's at the VERY least I'm talking about. And now there's a game from Platinum coming to it. WIN! :)
  • Fuzunga - June 14, 2012 9:59 p.m.

You neglected to mention Chasing Aurora in the download section.
  • Bionichute - June 14, 2012 9:51 p.m.

In reason 2 you misspelled "Rayman Legends" I mean you even got the picture wrong.
  • roboteye - June 14, 2012 8:47 p.m.

Grasping at straws, huh?
  • kevinw729 - June 14, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Is defending Nintendo good for a journo, good for a magazine or good for a website that wants to get their production model first? Yes I know that is cynical, but I am concerned on how damage limitation manifests itself in this sector.
  • GR HollanderCooper - June 14, 2012 8:56 p.m.

Nope. Outlets get them when they get them regardless.
  • Slider64 - June 14, 2012 5:06 p.m.

It was just a very safe and solid showing, when you compare its launch window to any console in the past its going to be very awesome. I will admit I was letdown by the lack of new exciting announcements for 2013...but for 2012 Nintendo does have a really impressive lineup (a lot of the big games at e3 2012 were for 2013 or beyond)A lot of mainstream sites, casual gamers and hardcore gamers that are not on gaming web-sites all the time seemed to enjoy Nintendo's show. A lot of us who live and breath video game news and rumors daily got overhyped, they weren't bad they were just solid, If we got a Starfox teaser then e3 2013 when the full trailer comes out all you would see is OLD INFO, BORING rants, like what happened to Pikmin 3 which got a awesome official reveal this year. E3 may not be for people like us as much as it used to, we'll find out more Wii U news in the next few months, judge the later stuff....later for now its a interesting console with a variety of potentially fun games. Relax, there is no need to get so angry, try it, buy it, or don't this year and if you like it more next year try it, buy it or don't...
  • NinSage - June 14, 2012 4:55 p.m.

Brilliant article! Thanks so much for having the guts to write it! Defending Nintendo often means suffering more than a few slings and arrows. I salute you, sirs.
  • avedon-arcade - June 14, 2012 4:30 p.m.

After playing Project P-100 and ZombiU, I've been sold on the WiiU. AND I have to say I'm more excited for Project P-100 over Revengeance. Being a standard hack n slash game with some control as to what you're slicing is fun at first but then more of the same same same as it goes on. As for P-100 I was looking forward to what you can do with the characters and how many superheroes you'll be able to amass to take down enemies. ZombiU, has brought back that thrill in survival horror with that whole "one bite you're dead" mantra. The controls and use of the Wii U controller were really intuitive and every aspect of it's use worked really well. Learning how to use the controller early on will keep you alive just a bit longer as I was quickly overrun by a horde before I could take them all out. As mediocre as Nintendo's presser was, I'm definitely looking forward to a steady flow of solid games coming our way once the Wii U is released. And it's also time for me to get a 3DS.
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2012 4:08 p.m.

I have to commend Henry for scrapping the bottom of the barrel hard enough to get whopping 11 reasons to justify Nintendo's disastrous press conference. Sadly, they are all rubbish, and easily rebbutable, allow me to demonstrate: -Nintendo Land isn't as bad as it seems Perhaps not, but it is definitely not as good or as revolutionary as Nintendo wanted to make you think it was. Showing the game for more time than any other thing in the conference, treating it better than a AAA property when it's far from being one. I don't doubt it could end up being a pretty fun distraction, and a strong hook for casuals. But it's still a pretty fucking terrible card to play as your big reveal for the show, no matter how you slice it. -Wii U is likely launching with a Mario game Yes, a console Mario game that ALREADY looks lesser and more dumbed down than it's PORTABLE counterpart for the 3DS. And this is a probable fact by just reading the previews of this site for both games. Hoo-fucking-rray. -The Wii U has some great features Nintendo didn’t talk about. Er... This only further highlights how terrible their conference was, all of them. And yes, those a nifty features, specially the backwards compatibility one. But you're also trying to put in there things that aren't really confirmed yet, like the some kind of achievement system. But most importantly, none of these features really help sell the idea that the Wii U is truly unique and a must own console. -The Wii U has more third-party support than what was at the press conference. Um... As much more as it can have that they didn't announce. You what's more noticeable? the third party games that are coming within the next year that are NOT coming to the Wii U anytime soon: Tomb Raider, Bioshock: Infinite, Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance, Lords of Shadows 2, Spliter cell: Blacklist, Hitman: Absolution, Resident Evil 6, dmc. Do I need to go on? Granted, not all of these are confirmed to NOT appear with the Wii U, and they still might. But as of now, potential Wii U owners can't count on any of those titles at all. And this IS a pretty bad thing, since so far, the Wii U has shown itself to be mostly comparable to the current consoles, but what good is that if it doesn't even have most of the catalog the other two consoles easily have? And I am not even counting on all the games that have already been released that are still not coming out for the Wii U. -Platinum Games is developing a Wii U game. That is undoubtedly cool, and easily one of the biggest missed announcements of the Nintendo E3 conference. But you know what's cooler? Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. And that's one Platinum title that so far isn't coming for the Wii U. Want another one? Anarchy Reigns. That's two platinum games that- AREN'T being developed for the Wii U. -ZombiU isn't Red Steel. By comparing it to Red Steel, you're only reminding people why this COULD be another Red Steel. And need I remind you that back before Red Steel actually came out, everyone was slack jawed and astounded by it? and how everyone swore it was more than solid and was going to be a killer app? Yeah... You still have no way of proving this won't be the case for ZombiU. Hopefully it will not, but you have no real proof to dictate otherwise. -Pikmin 3 is exactly what Pikmin fans want. Yes it is, and it also presents no reason whatsoever for anyone that is NOT a Pikmin fan to care in the slightest. Oh, and need I remind you that while good, Pikmin is nowhere near being a AAA franchise, or one of Nintendo's most beloved? -Despite how little they showed it, 3DS is looking great Yes, but E3 didn't really show any new games for 3DS at all. Every single title you listed are games we already knew about before the conference. So the E3 didn't do the 3DS any favors. -There are already promising downloadable titles planned See my response regarding third party support, only translated to downloadable titles. It's the exact same deal. -Four Mario games in six months somehow isn't overkill. Again, thank you for bringing attention to this. By mentioning, you only confirm it's an overkill, because those games do not make up for the lack of any of the other first party franchises people love. Having an extra Mario game doesn't really console anyone that wanted to see a Zelda or Metroid or Star Fox game. -Big things are planned for 2013 My God Hank, seriously??? This in no way justify how horrible this E3 was, and it only shows to point out how bare and stupid it was. Also, saying that it's because Nintendo has big things planned ahead is the exact same excuse everyone used to justify why Nintendo had such a muddled, incomplete and confusing E3 2011. Everyone, including this site, was certain that Nintendo had some really big things planned for this E3 due to the absolute silence centered around it's console... Well, look at how THAT turned out... *rolls eyes* Hats off for ending with the saddest excuse of them all...
  • J-Fid - June 14, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I take it you're still fretting...
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2012 6:17 p.m.

Fretting? what exactly am I fretting about? What exactly am i supposed to be worried about here? :P
  • J-Fid - June 14, 2012 7:17 p.m.

Gilbert and Roth were just giving some encouraging advice to keep people from being worried about Nintendo. Since you countered EVERY point they made, with such detail, that would mean you are still not convinced, meaning worried. If you were never worried, then that would make you a pessimist, and I don't see why you would care so much to write what you did if you didn't care at all about Nintendo. Thus, you must be worried, or as I said, you're fretting.
  • Moondoggie1157 - June 14, 2012 7:36 p.m.

Fid, I ain't the one to take sides, but your logic is seriously fucked... I mean really? God forbid Falcon simply disagreed with an article posted on GR, and commented about it on the public board. Falcon, you did kinda go overkill, but still in a way i agree with your points... I really do believe people are trying to hold on to the remnants of a 1994 era Nintendo, they can't admit it's dead and gone... They had no trouble tossing Sega and Sonic aside though... hmm... Anyway, I didn't expect much from Nintendo or their Wii U, so hey, in the end I'm not really effected. QUIT ARGUING though, we are all brothers and sisters here... Also, zombi? Don't be so melodramatic... Drama queen.
  • J-Fid - June 14, 2012 8:49 p.m.

I was kinda taking things literally with my comments. I was just focusing on THIS article, which wanted to cheer people up, and it seemed Falcon was not impressed. I probably did not need to point that out, but I did. Also, I've been told before that my logic can be messed up at times (and it will probably happen again), but I try my best to make sense. It makes sense to me, although that does not really matter if other people don't understand. Oh well!
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2012 9:05 p.m.

To be fair, I understood perfectly what your logic was, and it wasn't that bad an argument... Only, it didn't really apply to me at all XD There's also the fact that we evidently see things differently. You saw an article trying to cheer people up. I saw an article that was trying to excuse something that everyone generally agreed it sucked. And yeah, I know my way of seeing things is fairly cynical, but well, that's the way I am. *shrugs*
  • Moondoggie1157 - June 14, 2012 11:02 p.m.

Ah hell, I'm sure the dozen beers I drank had nothing to do with me flapping my fat mouth haha
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2012 7:37 p.m.

You actually got it right about in the middle. I'm being more pessimistic about this that I am being worried. Worrying would imply that I would mind if their console failed. Which quite frankly, i wouldn't. As I've stated in the past, I love Nintendo as game developers, and I love that they strive to innovate more than most companies. However, ever since the N64, I have never liked them as console manufacturers. And if anything, this counter-list I made points out why I don't like them as a first party company. That, and well, I am just stating the facts here. Nintendo had an incredibly floppy, depressingly conference, and almost everyone else agrees on this. And while I'm not against people trying to bring points into the defense of Nintendo, the fact that I can counter them so easily kinda shows how flimsy those points are. Specially regarding third party support, which has been Nintendo's main weakness since, again, the N64 era.
  • zombi3grim - June 14, 2012 6:32 p.m.

My god, someone get this guy a fucking hankee...heaven forbid someone try to ENJOY video games. I would HATE to be with this motherfucker in a room trying to play a game. "You see that! Such poor game design! The quasi circular laser rotation engine should use COLOR instead of solid black lines!" I mean, FUCK dude....why dont you go into the game business since you know so much about how it works and how to make it so much better. Last time I checked, Nintendo was a fucking multimillion dollar corporation and your some shmuck crying on the internet...