Topics

Best of GR

• grenadeh - October 25, 2014 11:49 p.m.

Not sure author ever actually played D3. In the original release, the unicorns would murder the shit out of you in 1 hit, in all super epic gear.
  • KittyPaine - October 9, 2014 3:41 p.m.

How could you forget the original troll? Super Mario Bros. Sorry, but the princess is in another castle.
  • Patters53 - July 19, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Where the Hell is borderlands 3? That wattlegobbler headhunter pack was a HUGE troll.
  • Patters53 - July 19, 2014 1:39 p.m.

Borderlands 2 sorry, typo.
  • zachary12505 - July 3, 2014 10:23 p.m.

Everyone who says Deadpool should be on here, I would agree, but we all expect that from Deadpool. The Arkham Asylum game tricked me because I had already played City, and nothing like that happened. I seriously thought something was wrong and it tricked me into actually thinking I failed a mission and got killed. Dante has a super move where he gets grey heir in Playstation All Stars. I never played the DMC games so I don't know if that is an actual move, but if it isn't then that is more trolling
  • Daseenbean - June 28, 2014 3:39 p.m.

What about Takeshi's Challenge? The only game where the only way to get health back is after completing half of the game
  • dale-hawkeye-hawkes - June 26, 2014 6:50 a.m.

What about the Stanley Parable? The whole game was a mindgrenade...
  • godlife - June 10, 2014 12:55 a.m.

where's deadpool ?
  • Divinusmortalis - April 25, 2014 2:32 p.m.

Oh Eternal Darkness, how I loved thee. It was dark when we first put you in my friend's gamecube. He had yet to play much of it because he couldn't muster his courage to get far. There I lay on the couch watching with much intrigue, my friend a few feet from the screen. With the volume elevated, because we had trouble making out what characters were saying, we could clearly hear the knocking and beating on the door at random times, the phone rings, and everything else they threw into the ambiance. If I remember correctly, once you walked far away enough, you can no longer hear the nerve-grating sounds, lulling you into a false sense of security. Muscles relaxed, pulses slowed, we trudged forward through the mansions puzzle. I will not say which room the game makers troll you so hard, but needless to say, the horror, oh the delicious heart-wrenching horror. If you haven't played this game, I urge you to try it. By any means necessary... if what I mean is against the terms & agreement. Oh look, a dolphin!
  • ObliqueZombie - April 21, 2014 3:21 p.m.

Queue whiny DMC retro fans. Great list, by the way, Mr. Hartup. I'm not a fan of that word and it's modern usage, but I always enjoy seeing what wacky ideas game developers come up with to toy with the player. The Asylum one got me hard, because as a kid I didn't play the other games (like MGS or Eternal Darkness) that broke the fourth wall.
  • adi-alexiu - April 14, 2014 11:45 p.m.

Dude,you either can't be a gamer or you are very stupid.How can you make this list and not include Deadpool???? Are you kidding me? Whatever you do deadpool shouts at you telling you where to go what to do.
  • Snowskeeper - May 23, 2014 11:31 p.m.

That's not trolling. That's a character breaking the fourth wall.
  • kevlarthegreat - April 6, 2014 9:59 a.m.

Gta definitely belongs at the top of this list but it's the online that trolls people the worst. Almost 7 months in and still no heists in the game. Bad sport mode? That's honestly the biggest joke in gaming history. You create cars that are bulletproof so the only way to kill the driver is to basically blow up his car, but if you do you get put into a separate time out lobby where you can't play with your friends for weeks to months at a time. So naturally every troll in the game stays in their car a fights from within a bulletproof car that can go up to 300 mph. And at one point the game was so broken hat people were able to put tanks and jets in their garage making it a personal vehicle. So you basically had to just let people kill you or risk being put in time out for defending yourself against a guy in a tank.take that nonsensical blind justice system and throw in a customer service line that is literally just a recording that says they can't take your call and you have the worst online multiplayer to date. Needless to say I had the biggest smile on my face when I traded this piece of crap back in.
  • likalaruku - April 6, 2014 7:19 a.m.

That GTA5 one reminds me of the "Cecilia's Pepper Grilled Silk-Striped Marlin" quest from Mabinogi; She gives you 10,000 gold to buy a $20,000 fish & rewards you with $1,000, & even though she works at a restaurant, she expects you to cook it, so she can give it to a guy she likes. That extra $10k takes days of monster grinding.
  • zeeko23 - March 27, 2014 10 p.m.

FUCK EVERYONE IN NINJA THEORY, they are literally trolling us even in there ninja gaiden shitty game too, OMG!, this is the worst game I even seen and now they did it on DMC, fucked up company >> dmc3 fan <<
  • TWOxACROSS - June 19, 2014 12:58 p.m.

Ninja Gaiden is made by Team Ninja, a totally different developer from Japan.
  • FoxdenRacing - February 7, 2014 4:29 p.m.

I don't know how this just recently got in my FB feed [unless GR has taken a cue from Cracked by posting old articles on a regular basis], but: Borderlands 2: Pirate's Booty introduced 'cursed' items, ones with a negative flavor text...such as a weapon that made you more susceptible to certain types of damage, etc. But the worst was the grenade...giving you no indication as to its tradeoff, and in truth it had none. 'Curse of the cackling Developer', it was a grenade with a decent damage rating...that no matter how far away you threw it, no matter how far away you ran, no matter where you tried to hide...it came back and blew up the user. It was also the hardest to find, having a relatively large 'search here' radius, its hiding spot visible and accessible from only one spot on the map: a tower way, way above it.
  • Snowskeeper - May 23, 2014 11:34 p.m.

It's a little too helpful for some characters (Axton especially) to end up on this list, but yeah, that irritated me. Bad enough that I have to deal with Krieg bashing himself in the face.
  • Y2Ken - February 7, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Whenever I hear someone mention "trolling" I always just remember Andy Kelly talking about Anonymous and "teh lulz" back in the PSM3 podcast days.
  • Subgenre - February 7, 2014 3:43 p.m.

Not going to lie, Eternal Darkness' fourth-wall moments really aren't as jarring or shocking as the internet would suggest. Once you're at low sanity you know what to expect, assuming you don't just let a trapper take you to its pocket dimension so you can immediately restore your sanity.