Zenless Zone Zero is an upcoming anime-inspired action RPG developed by HoYoverse, the studio known for Genshin Impact and Honkai: Star Rail. In Zenless Zone Zero, players take on the role of a Proxy who delves into alternate universes known as The Hollows. These strange realms aren’t exactly safe (no surprises there), but luckily, the Proxy will receive help from a colourful cast of characters, including the mysterious Anby and cunning Nicole. Even better, we now know that Zenless Zone Zero will be coming to PS5 later in the year following its launch on PC platforms.
From the potential Zenless Zone Zero release date to every character announced so far, here’s what we know about HoYoverse’s “ZZZ” game, and why it's one of the upcoming PC games that you'll want to keep a close eye on despite all the stunning-looking new games for 2024 we've got on our radar.
This Zenless Zone Zero hub was updated on February 7, adding new intel gleaned from recent trailers shown at The Game Awards, Sony State of Play, and more info on upcoming platforms.
Zenless Zone Zero release date
The Zenless Zone Zero release date window is expected to fall in 2024. This will be for its initial PC and mobile release, with a PS5 port currently in the works too according to developer miHoYo.
Zenless Zone Zero platforms
While miHoYo has seen massive success with Genshin Impact on PS5, PS4, and Switch, it would appear that the studio is keeping a tighter focus with its new action-RPG. The confirmed Zenless Zone Zero platforms are PC, Android, and iOS, with a PS5 port on the way as confirmed during a Sony State of Play in late January 2024.
As confirmed during the second closed beta test, Zenless Zone Zero data will be shared between all platforms, so you can continue playing on your mobile phone after you’ve logged off on your PC, and vice versa. Whether the same will go for your PS5 progress is yet to be seen, so we will be keeping an ear to the ground for more news from miHoYo.
Zenless Zone Zero story
In Zenless Zone Zero, you’ll be uncovering the mysteries behind the world known as New Eridu, the last remaining urban civilization. The rest of the world has been destroyed by a supernatural disaster known as the Hollows; gateways that seem to appear out of thin air, giving way to twisted dimensions full of ethereal monsters.
The people of New Eridu managed to survive by extracting resources from the Hollows. Since then, the Hollows have become industrialized and monetized under the city’s administration, leading to rivalry between various companies, gangs, and fanatics. However, to explore the Hollows, you need a professional guide known as a Proxy.
And guess what? You, the player, happens to be one such Proxy. You’ll be teaming up with various groups of explorers, all with their own reasons to enter the disordered dimensions. Once in there, you’ll battle monsters, help your employers to achieve their goals, and learn more about their stories.
The Zenless Zone Zero Hollows & New Eridu
One of the most important locations in Zenless Zone Zero is the big city, New Eridu. It’s described as a “colorful metropolis” that is home to disaster refugees and survivors. The city is full of gangs, Hollow Raiders, “crazies”, conspirators… And Hollows.
Yes, the Hollows are the cause of the apocalypse, but not to worry; in New Eridu, the Hollows are used for industrial purposes. Little other-dimensional money-making machines, basically. The Ether extracted from the Hollows give New Eridu its special magic. Inside these abnormal spherical dimensions, we’ll find monsters, thugs, Proxies, agencies, Hollow Raiders, and… Well, that sounds like half the city.
Zenless Zone Zero gameplay details
Combining real-time action with roguelike combat mechanics, Zenless Zone Zero gameplay is quite different from other HoYoverse titles. While following the storyline through various main- and side quests, the player needs to fight their way through mysterious realms called The Hollows. The Hollow Deep Dive system, also known as The Board, shows potential routes through The Hollows on a large tile map (see picture above). Here’s where the roguelike system comes into play; each tile you step on has a different effect - some do nothing, others contain loot, others are part of a “puzzle” that needs to be solved before you can move on, and some of them will start a battle.
Character builds and team composition play a major role in Zenless Zone Zero combat, as you’ll be fighting with a party of three playable characters who constantly swap places. Each character will be using basic attacks, special attacks (heavy attacks that become more powerful as you accumulate Energy), chain attacks (triggered upon hitting a stunned enemy with a special attack), dash attacks (dodge and attack at the same time), and extra-powerful ultimate attacks. By switching the characters in your party, you can also perform assist attacks.
Zenless Zone Zero is not an open world game, but you’ll be able to explore the New Eridu city map outside of The Hollows. While exploration is completely free, many combat activities are linked to an energy system, with energy regenerating over time. If you wish to obtain more characters and weapons, you’ll have to use the Zenless Zone Zero gacha system.
Zenless Zone Zero factions
While Hoyoverse is yet to outline the full extent of the factions in this world, they’ve revealed the first five. Here’s an overview of the Zenless Zone Zero factions that we know about so far.
- Gentle House, a.k.a. Cunning Hares: “always available for the right price”. An odd-job agency led by the pink-haired Nicole Demara. Hire them to rescue your cat or dive head-first into The Hollows – you name it.
- Belobog Heavy Industries. A faction known for their toughness, who hold a patent for "specialized heavy machinery” to be used in The Hollows. Interestingly, the big city on Jarilo-VI, a planet in Honkai: Star Rail, is also called Belobog. Who’s ready for the multiverse?
- Faction Unknown. This faction is yet to be detailed, but we do know that Soldier 11 is in their ranks.
- Victoria Housekeeping. Dressed as maids and butlers, the members of Victoria Housekeeping Co. are known for their high-quality services reminiscent of the old civilization. It’s unknown whether they’re here for actual cleaning of demon-fighting – they can probably do both.
- Section 6. The final faction is a sub-unit of the “Hollow Special Operations”, which seems to be a more official organization compared to the other Zenless Zone Zero factions.
Zenless Zone Zero characters
HoYoverse has revealed the first 15 characters starring in Zenless Zone Zero. The announced Zenless Zone Zero characters are as follows:
- Anton Ivanov (Belobog Heavy Industries)
- Ben Bigger (Belobog Heavy Industries)
- Koleda Belobog (Belobog Heavy Industries)
- Grace Howard (Belobog Heavy Industries)
- Soldier 11 (Faction Unknown)
- Anby Demara (Gentle House)
- Billy Kid (Gentle House)
- Nekomiya Mana (Gentle House)
- Nicole Demara (Gentle House)
- Von Lycaon (Victora Housekeeping)
- Corin Wickes (Victora Housekeeping)
- Ellen Joe (Victora Housekeeping)
- Alexandrina (Victora Housekeeping)
- Hoshimi Miyabi (Section 6)
- Soukaku (Section 6)
While we wait for more Zenless Zone Zero information, why not check out some of the best action games which you can play today.