Funcom announces restructuring, closures
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
The Secret World studio Funcom has revealed plans to restructure its operations, resulting in office closures and job losses.
In a statement posted on its website, Funcom said it has “initiated a process of restructuring the company around its core products and technology”.
"The restructuring of the company will involve cost reductions through the closure and the consolidation of offices with the goal of creating a stronger unified organization that can take full advantage of the exciting opportunities that face the games industry as it steps into 2013 and beyond."
While Funcom is based in Norway, it also runs a Montreal studio, which will be affected by the restructuring but not closed entirely, a company spokesperson told GamesIndustry International. The news follows a round of staff cuts made last August, which were speculated to affect about half of the studio's global workforce.
“The restructured organization will continue to focus strongly on its existing, successful MMO games; Age of Conan, Anarchy Online and The Secret World,” Funcom said this week, noting that it hopes to increase profitability by “providing more organizational focus and strengthening the competence of a joint central team that will continue to operate and enhance these games”.
The new organization will also “be better equipped to realize the strategy of building smaller high quality MMO games” such as upcoming title LEGO Minifigures, it added.
Funcom dropped mandatory subscription fees for The Secret World last month, and this week it claimed that the strategy has proven “successful”, resulting in increased activity levels of over 400 per cent and a 30 per cent rise in monthly sales.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
Company CEO Ole Schreiner said of the restructuring announcement: "We are building the basis of a very sustainable business. With a restructured organisation, we will have a joint team of the best-of-the-best working together to expand our existing online worlds and to create new, exciting and memorable online experiences."


