• horrorfinatic - March 5, 2014 5:14 p.m.

So what I'm thinking is something like Stephen King's The Mist. With this city completely enveloped in a strange fog/mist filled with Lovecraftian creatures of all shapes or sizes. This could allow for both small scale horror, running away from the smaller ones in small spaces (think those spider-like things in Cloverfield) and on a much larger scale as well (the Cloverfield monster itself, but more of them maybe?). I feel like I need to write a video game screenplay now.
  • Cosmis - January 20, 2014 12:22 a.m.

It's not first person, obviously, but Shadow of the Colossus definitely captured that feeling when it wanted to.
  • TheTrooper424 - January 19, 2014 8:08 p.m.

Attack On Titan! : D
  • JimbobSonOfRiber - January 15, 2014 2:33 p.m.

Agreed. I grew up with near-impossible games on all the European home computers. In those, the enemies weren't giant as such, but some were essentially impassable.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - January 15, 2014 9:23 a.m.

This isn't so much horror related but I wish the metal gear series utilized the sheer presence and size of the metal gear's to invoke fear and hopelessness. Nearly all the metal gear games just have the metal gear standing still in what is essentially a find the weak spot / right moment boss battle. On another note, a game about surviving natural disasters has always appealed to me. But yeah Lucas, I couldn't agree more. The thought of giant meteors / asteroids used to (still does) scare me because of their speed and size.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 15, 2014 12:28 p.m.

Haha oh god, your mentioning meteors brought back memories of the insane Bill Nye point-and-click adventure game Stop the Rock!, where the whole freakin' world would be destroyed by a meteoroid if you couldn't solve some stupid science puzzles in time. RE: Natural disaster games, there is Disaster Report and I Am Alive, though sadly I've played neither.
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - January 15, 2014 7:55 a.m.

God this is a great idea. Just the idea of some huge arm reaching down into a building or tunnel you thought you were safe in scares the hell out of me like nothing else. God forbid a gigantic eye peers in ;c; You mentioned Evolve in the last podcast...isn't it doing something like that with a giant monster played by an actual player?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 15, 2014 12:22 p.m.

When Evolve was first announced, I was so hoping it would be this...alas, judging from concept art it looks like the player-controlled alien monster is just one or two stories tall :{
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - January 15, 2014 12:53 p.m.

Aw, lame :c Was hoping for something gargantuan. One can only hope...
  • russman - January 14, 2014 10:32 p.m.

Someone tell Rockstar to make a Giant Monster DLC for GTA V? It'll be just like like Pacific Rim/Godzilla!
  • winner2 - January 14, 2014 6:41 p.m.

Great show.
  • LordAngus1992 - January 14, 2014 6:09 p.m.

Has anyone here fought Ugh Zan III from Serious Sam: The First Encounter?
  • xdarkheartxa - January 14, 2014 7:10 p.m.

it was so much scary as it was intimidating
  • taokaka - January 14, 2014 5:37 p.m.

As soon as I saw the attack on titan picture I couldn't get this out of my mind http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/222/8/e/runningtitan_by_setonami-d6hll4q.gif needless to say the following paragraphs about unstoppable giant monsters became quite funny while thinking of him.
  • TanookiMan - January 14, 2014 4:43 p.m.

While I agree in principle, I feel like this would be a really hard premise to make a whole game out of.
  • nomis - March 5, 2014 2:21 p.m.

Yeah, I agree. It'd be really cool and terrifying but if the enemy doesn't die from an 'implausible frailty' how will the game progress? It might work if this gigantic monster is only introduced intermittently throughout the game...in addition to normally sized enemies.
  • Elgyem - January 14, 2014 4:13 p.m.

I immediately thought of attack on titan when I saw this. A horror game like this would be epic (imagine fleeing through a burning town at night while something like a titan chases you).
  • Jib-47 - January 14, 2014 3:51 p.m.

This could be really cool. Combine the free running from Mirror's Edge with the open world of Assassins Creed and the perma-death of a Rogue like and you could have an intense game. One life to escape the city, how far can you get? Which route do you take? You could even make it co-op or MMO.
  • calebgerbs - January 14, 2014 2:51 p.m.

What game is that screenshot from? The one with something that looks like Cthulu in the background? Great read by the way! Definitely agree that that is the scariest possible thing, whether it be a natural disaster or a huge fucking monster
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 14, 2014 3:39 p.m.

That's Magrunner: Dark Pulse, and by looking at the screenshot you've eliminated the need to ever play it lol. And much appreciated!