Topics

Nintendo

• snipes101 - May 5, 2011 9:27 p.m.

I'm gonna but this no doubt, but I really wish nintendo would come up with some new original IP's. They've seemingly been using the same ones since the dawn of time.
  • Zeb364 - May 5, 2011 9:09 p.m.

I just don't care. I wish I did but I just don't. I've just been jerked around too much by Nintendo in the past (and not just this generation). The same can be said of Sony and while I still own consoles from both (a Gamecube and PS3) I'm just not loyal to them the way I am to Microsoft. Hell, I don't even like Sony but that's been true since the original Playstation and has nothing to with their consoles (which are great). I just hate how they comport themselves as a company.
  • BladedFalcon - May 5, 2011 8:58 p.m.

Meh, Nintendo can be as "hardcore" as they want, ( think that term is pretentious bullshit anyway.) but unless they bring third party support like the other consoles, I'm not interested. For the last three generations, Nintendo has remained afloat mainly thanks to their same franchises and first party games. And frankly, I don't see how that would change.
  • AlpineGuy - May 5, 2011 8:31 p.m.

GamesRadar, sometimes the Photoshops you do are good enough leads for your articles. I'll read ANYTHING with Reggie Fils-Aime armed with a grenade and machine gun on the front. And yes, I'm excited all over again for the return or real Nintendo!
  • ericeman - May 5, 2011 8:24 p.m.

CoryM115: the problem as I see it is that the console *is* perceived that way-- and Nintendo is mostly to blame. There are some first rate titles for the Wii but Nintendo didn't work to hard to market the console to anyone other than your mom. If there's one thing that needs to be done its that they need to establish a hardcore user base from the start-- prove their commitment to every sort of gamer. I'm not even specifically referring to online multiplayer first person shooters: put out more Donkey Kong Country Returns and market them to more than just the casual.
  • CoryM1134 - May 5, 2011 7:25 p.m.

I think this is the right step. If nothing else, releasing a truly current gen console will make people take Nintendo more seriously. I know I'm probably wrong, but to me, the Wii just feels like a console for children. Children and "Wii Bowling Party!!!!!" morons. What they really need to do is come up with some new IPs. I love Mario, and I love DKC, but all they are really doing are taking my nostalgia dollars as I played these games when I was a kid. I'm not saying Nintendo needs to go all dark and grainy, but it would be nice if they would give me a few games that aren't based on an adorable cartoon. I know there's Metroid and Zelda, and I love them both, but Nintendo can't keep re-releasing the same franchises forever and expect it to work. I don't need another Mario Kart. I've had like four of them. Same with Smash Brothers. It's just that if Nintendo can be as creative as they are with hardware, why can't they expand their ideas with the software as well? That's the reason we were given a "new way" to play a barely updated version of Mario Kart with the Wii instead of an imaginative new experience as a whole. That's good. I love Nintendo; they've been entertaining me for over two decades, and I want them to stick around. I know they're good enough to do what I want them to, I just want to see it actually happen.
  • Crabhand - May 5, 2011 7:06 p.m.

It just occurred to me, "with their heads scratching" makes no god damn sense. It ought to be "scratching their heads."
  • Crabhand - May 5, 2011 7:04 p.m.

I can only hope Nintendo learned it's lesson about it's crippling online "infrastructure" (a generous term). I'm also curious if there will be a way to transfer virtual console purchases to the new system a la DSi to 3DS. I have a feeling Nintendo's press conference at E3 will either herald a new renaissance of Nintendo gaming or leave people with their heads scratching. Should be fun to watch.
  • Thequestion 121 - May 5, 2011 6:56 p.m.

Yes! I'm even more excited about E3 and what Nintendo will reveal to the core fanbase.
  • ericeman - May 5, 2011 6:54 p.m.

I disagree with motion being a gimmick when it was the center of some of the consoles best games- it's just the easiest target when asking why the Wii failed to attract a hardcore market. If third parties had experimented with developing unique motion-based first person shooters (hardcore bait!) we might be seeing a different opinion. The Wii's biggest failure was in the way it was perceived. Not that middling graphics and terrible online support helped their image any but what I mean is that it could have supported more fun shooters and action titles if people were willing to give it that chance. It's a chicken/egg scenario that most likely ends with graphics/online but with those in place motion would make for some bankable experiences.
  • Spybreak8 - May 5, 2011 6:50 p.m.

Nintendo has a lot of room to work before I say welcome back. True they've had their "hardcore" games but they've still tacked on motion controls that interrupted the pureness, if you know what I mean, of the experience. Like the Kinect, wtf we've finally found the best controller ever - the 360 controller, why abandon it with motion controls and touch screens?! Really if this new system has touch controls on the controllers as the internet rumors are saying I'll be more indifferent about the system.
  • Fiirestorm21 - May 5, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Not a bad analysis. Definitely all our interests are piqued.
  • Japanaman - May 5, 2011 6:25 p.m.

Every Nintendo console has had a gimmick: NES: ROB the Robot, Lightgun, Power Pad, Power Glove SNES: Sprite Rotation, Rendered Graphics N64: Indestructible Cartridges GCN: Small DVDs for small hands, Easy Portability Wii: Can play games casually or hardcore like with the same controller which is pretty much utter nonsense as you need so many accessories to pay most games properly (Gun, Zapper Gun, steering wheel, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro)
  • Larinah - May 5, 2011 6:21 p.m.

"and the distinct third leg of a new hardware tripod, standing alongside the Wii and 3DS." This is what I was expecting them to do. It makes no sense for them not to go for the full amount of people with their consoles, and at the moment they only have casual and portable gamers on their side. Like you said, it makes sense. If the price is relatively low on this console too I'll be a day one buyer.
  • ericeman - May 5, 2011 6:06 p.m.

I doubt that this will be Nintendo's third "hardcore" pillar but I do hope they've learned how to hold on to third parties because lack support- that's one of the primary reasons why the Wii didn't live up to expectations. The Wii had some fantastic titles but third parties (and first parties for that matter) didn't have consistent release schedule to stand on. If the upgrade rumors are true (better graphics and true online multiplayer) maybe ports will be easier and that will just happen naturally. We'll get a healthy user base and experimentation will be more widely accepted.
  • SuperSDizz - May 5, 2011 6:02 p.m.

This is exciting. Nintendo is a big player in the industry for a reason. They obviously have the talent and business sense to make this new console work. While I doubt the rumors of it being more powerful than the 360 are true, if they can release a console that drops the motion control gimmick while offering better graphical and online support, they can totally bring back the third parties and start clawing their way up to the top. This new console may most likely release before the successors to the 360 and PS3, so if they get this right they could see major financial success, and maybe gamers would find a reason to love nintendo again...
  • Nintygameplayerperson - May 5, 2011 5:34 p.m.

ALinkToTheZack, the reason 3rd parties had trouble catering to the "hardcore" audience on Wii is because when a hardcore game did come out, like, say, Red Steel 2, nobody bought them. These "hardcore" gamers just make themselves look like a bunch of babies, whining for these "hardcore" games to come out that they don't even buy because they're busy with some stupidly popular game that will probably get a near-identical sequel next year.
  • BurntToShreds - May 5, 2011 5:02 p.m.

I'm going to remain skeptical. One thing Nintendo needs to do is show that they care about gamers by eliminating shovelware, doing quality control and such. This might lead to third-party developers gaining a renewed interest. Online policy would need to change as well, so that Nintendo can actually become a real contender in the online scene. Getting rid of friends codes and going with a name system seems to be the most logical route of action for that. You can have the most powerful piece of console hardware on the planet. But if you make decisions that drive away your fanbase, people won't buy it.
  • aoat - May 5, 2011 4:46 p.m.

@Mooshon: Both Microsoft and Sony have said they consider their motion controllers to be effectively new console launches, so I doubt they're looking to replace them so soon. Also, Nintendo will only leave the console market when they stop making boatloads of profit — and they're really, really good at making profit. Back in the Gamecube days, Nintendo was making twice as much as Sony's game and console division, which is crazy good business considering the disparity in popularity.
  • darksongbird - May 5, 2011 4:43 p.m.

I am no expert, but I agree with quite a bit of what was said here and it excites me. Nintendo is already handing out dev kits so they can work with the system ahead of time. I think we will see a lot more variety in genres this time around and I'm happy about that!