• GOD - June 22, 2013 11:04 a.m.

I felt far more mature for me, not because of the "realism" or how grounded the plot was, but rather what you explained about them not trying to be heroes, but just survivors. There was never this illusion of "let's go save the world" and instead you were simply doing what you could to stay alive. Joel needed something to fight for and Ellie was all he had left, and Ellie needed Joel to survive. The allusions to Joel's dark past as a hunter add further depth to the main theme of survive by any means necessary. It was also a surprisingly nice touch that rather than Ellie get injured first, it was Joel who was the first to need assistance and it showed how strong Ellie had become but also how far she had to go. The scenes with David (cannibal camp leader played by Nolan North) played with your head and through Ellie tested how guilty it could make you feel about all the people you've murdered. Making you realize that if you had to kill if it was them or you, you'd probably do it. Sure it was kind of a weak argument on his part with the whole cannibalism thing but you knew why he was doing it in his own deranged way. The ending seemed like the ultimate form of desperation. I think Joel realized that even if Ellie dies for a cure to be made, without her he has nothing left. His world would be over if she died, so to him her life is more important than the rest of the world. Although when you had to take her off the operating table at the end, I expected the doctor to try and attack me. He didn't. I really didn't want to have to shoot him. He wasn't trying to hurt me, and only held up that scalpel defensively. Hoping to maybe push him out of the way I tried to melee him once and watched in horror as Joel brutally slit his throat with his own scalpel followed by the nurse screaming "You monster!" That was probably the one time in the game when I thought "No... this isn't what I wanted... he wasn't supposed to die" and then I legitimately felt terrible for having killed him and awkwardly grabbed Ellie and got the eff out of there.
  • duane-cotton - August 30, 2013 3:14 a.m.

I didn't have any problem killing the doctors at the end. When I play a game where the protagonist's character is set I generally play the way I think they would behave. If i'm playing Kane and Lynch I wouldn't be saving kittens from trees if the option was available or worrying about civillians during gun battles. Joel just doesn't seem like the person that would leave people alive that could later pose as a threat, be by telling someone what direction he went in or where he was going. I couldn't see him shooting someone in the leg or knocking them out. In his rage it just seemed right to me that no one left that room alive. I think I was so angry that the armed guards put me through all that trouble that I took out my anger on the remaining people in my way and I would have killed them all even if it was optional to spare them. When I play hitman I kill all witnesses because that is what hitmen do, cover their tracks. Joel killed Marlene to ensure she didn't come after him I felt the doctors could have told Marlene or any other fireflies what direction I went if they were left alive.
  • DarthPunk - June 22, 2013 9:03 a.m.

Didn't a certain website called Gamesradar put together a Top 7 list of mature games that are actuallymature a few years ago? Your own website has already proven your argument wrong
  • meg127 - June 22, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Ummm....no. While I agree that the Last of Us is a mature game, saying it is the FIRST truly mature action game is just not true. There's Spec-Ops: The Line, Bioshock, Persona 3 (though that's an RPG), and Mass Effect. There's a lot of mature games out there. What about Assassin's Creed even? Ezio's growth from a brash womanizer to a battle hardened leader and teacher is well done. Heck, even Enslaved counts and I didn't even like that game. There's a lot of mature games out there. The Last of Us is not the first. What it is, is another great addition to a growing list of games with mature stories.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 10:44 a.m.

He's not saying there hasn't been mature games before. Or that other games don't have super mature elements to it.He's saying this this is the first one that feels wholly mature. Not just the story, but the characters, the gameplay, the setting and how that informs you of the world that used to exist before. Most games up until now felt like they had mature elements BUT were either held up by super gamey mechanics, dissonant messages, immature sexualizing or exaggerating of character archetypes. This game doesn't just have mature themes, the entirety of it is mature in it's nature, and it's story and gameplay.
  • meg127 - June 25, 2013 12:53 p.m.

I got that. And I'm disagreeing with him. I do think there are other games out there that are wholly mature.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Such as...? Because all the examples you wrote before don't really apply :P
  • meg127 - June 26, 2013 6:43 a.m.

Well let's look at The Last of Us. How is killing hundreds of people mature? Don't use the "well... in the moment" excuse. Pretty much every game has violence that seems justified in the moment.
  • BladedFalcon - June 26, 2013 8:26 a.m.

It's more like 90 people at most, since the rest are infected and not really people. BUT ANYWAY, that's easy: Survival. And it's not an "in the moment" justification. But the world has gone into such as state that everything and everyone is just fighting for their own survival. And you're just as justified for killing others to survive, just as they are for trying to kill you. Most games never go into that, this game actually SHOWS it. And see, that's the other thing, you're never meant to be a "good" guy, and actually, you aren't. You do a couple of honorable, compassionate actions towards your companion and people you care about, but otherwise everything else you is to ensure your survival, even if in the process you end up killing people that are arguably the good guys. And again, that's THE point of the game, that's why it's mature. Also, your question reveals to me that you probably haven't even played the game yet, so why not do that first?
  • meg127 - June 26, 2013 9:21 a.m.

We live in a world where killing 90 people isn't considered a lot. The Last of Us has a mature story, characters, and gameplay. It is not the end all be all most mature action game to ever exist. That's all I'm getting at. Look, you can agree with the article all you want. But I disagree.
  • BladedFalcon - June 26, 2013 9:59 a.m.

...The problem is that you're disagreeing with something you clearly haven't understood. No one said this is the end all be all of mature games. No one said it's the MOST mature game. Houghton said it is the FIRST truly mature game in the sense that the whole experience as a whole feel mature and makes sense as a whole as a mature experiences. He's not saying it's the best mature game, there are better ones. He's not saying it'0s the MOST mature. There are games that explore much more mature, deeper themes. He's saying that this is the most cohesive game in all it's elements. That's a very different thing from what you seem to think the article, or me, for that matter, were saying. Also, seriously, play the game first, then talk later, yes? It's pretty obvious that you haven't, which makes commenting in a spoiler filled article about the game kind of unwise in the first place.
  • meg127 - June 26, 2013 1:01 p.m.

I never said I didn't play it. :/ And all right all right, The Last of Us, to me, is not the first truly mature game in the sense that the whole experience as a whole feels mature and makes sense as a whole as a mature experience. There. :P
  • BladedFalcon - June 26, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Well, doesn't feel like you have, to be honest :p but alright, if you say you do, then I have no reason to doubt you nor disprove you :P And right-o, I think this discussion has reached a dead-end, so let's just leave it at agree to disagree? XD
  • meg127 - June 26, 2013 3:21 p.m.

Agree to disagree FTW! XD Yeah, I played the game at my friend's house. It was cool. :) Sorry for the confusion. I should of been more clear.
  • BladedFalcon - June 26, 2013 4:02 p.m.

No worries, glad things got cleared out now ^^
  • Firepunch - June 22, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Spec Ops: The Line, That is all *Flies away*
  • Bloodstorm - June 23, 2013 11:58 a.m.

This is more than just about story, it's about mechanics, mixing with story, mixing with the feelings you get while playing it. Spec Ops: The Line may have had a mature story line, but the mechanics felt like any other shooter, with little gravity on the actual plot. If felt like pointless shooting gallery, then some story bits, and then more pointless shooting gallery. Mechanics were also pretty bad, and I couldn't stand them enough to finish the game, despite my want to due to how many people claim it is an under-recognized game.
  • Firepunch - June 24, 2013 1 p.m.

While I do see your point; I felt that the generic, shooter gallery feel of the game was made to be like that. It was done to reinforce the message of game. The whole your a monster for enjoying this yadayada. However I have not played The Last of Us so it probably does do the combination of gameplay and story telling better than Spec Ops. Out of curiosity what mechanic was so bad that it stopped you from playing the game
  • Bloodstorm - June 24, 2013 4:30 p.m.

Cover mechanics just seemed fidgety to me, and the gun-play had no weight to it. I also hated every time I had to just sit in an area and keep fighting a bunch of dudes until something happened that opened the way for the game to progress. It was the shooting gallery type game play that ultimately did it in for me.
  • Rhymenocerous - June 22, 2013 1:56 a.m.

Yeah, The Last of Us is possibly the most truly adult (as opposed to the usual adolescent) story since Silent Hill 2. Also, in terms of pure game mechanics, the in-game inventory management is quite a ballsy move for such a big-budget AAA game these days. I applaud you Naughty Dog (and Sony for that matter).