• Helios - May 5, 2011 12:43 a.m.

Final Fantasy XIII is the only Final Fantasy game I own, but it is also one of the best games I own. I can't compare it to the previous games, of course, but-- *Squints at picture* Why is that girl picking her nose?
  • koubo - May 5, 2011 12:31 a.m.

My favorite is VIII. Mostly because it was the first one I played. It introduced me to the series, and I usually end up comparing the others to how much I liked the first one I played. Which seems to be an underlying reason between a lot of people's favorite. Most people I know love the first one they played the most. Also, I liked XIII's linearity. In almost every game I have played that had an open world, I would get lost and wander for hours on end trying to figure out where to go next, only to give up and not play the game for a long, long time (if I even came back to the game at all). Yes, XIII took a long time to get anywhere, but I was glad that I never got lost once. The only one I hate is X. It wasn't too bad overall, but I hated Blitzball so very, very much that it ruined the game for me, regardless of whether or not it was optional.
  • FVDub - May 5, 2011 12:13 a.m.

XII is the worst game in the series that I have played. It's like an automated MMO with no entertainment value whatsoever. Seriously, it took like 8 hours to learn more than "attack" for combat options. The characters were weak, the plot was overdramatic nonsense and I hated the voice actors (but others seemed to love them).
  • DJQQ - May 4, 2011 11:09 p.m.

Glad to see FF5 getting some love. When I tell people it's my favorite in the series, I get nothing but blank stares. FF9 has the best cast of characters though. Great article ^^;;
  • Clovin64 - May 4, 2011 11:06 p.m.

I've completed only six of the main FF games (4, 6, 7, 10, 12 and 13) and I find it bloody difficult to put those games in order of preference. Every time I think I've decided on a favourite, I'll end up remembering another one and I'll be forced to reconsider. For the record, FF12 is very close to the top of my list. A lot of people hated the Gambit system, the MMO elements and the political storyline, but I loved it all. Vaan still sucks though.
  • yetanotherCid304 - May 4, 2011 10:58 p.m.

@yeager1122: XIII starts out slow, but once the paradigim system and customization features are introduced (a good three hours into the game!) The games true potential is shown
  • yetanotherCid304 - May 4, 2011 10:52 p.m.

oh yeah i forgot XII (maybe because it's got the weakest cast out of them all)
  • sleepyMexican45 - May 4, 2011 10:51 p.m.

Where's Crystal Chronicles? Though to be fair, there isn't really anything to write for the 'Why it's the best'...
  • Yeager1122 - May 4, 2011 10:51 p.m.

Ive only ever played the one with squall in it the first and only one i played was going to play the new one but there was so much hate on didnt want to in the end.
  • yetanotherCid304 - May 4, 2011 10:50 p.m.

My personal fave is FF9. Great story, memorable characters, and an addicting ability learning system (seriously, i found collecting abilities as addicting as collecting pokemon) Other than that, i'm fond of seven, four, ten, six, thirteen, and eight(the junction system takes some getting used to, but it's worth it in the end)
  • profile0000 - May 4, 2011 10:42 p.m.

I praise the author for a great job. An excellent read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite is between X (the first I cared to play) and XIII (which I loved). Nostalgia really wants me to say I liked X more though.
  • Fhiend - May 4, 2011 10:36 p.m.

FF6 is my all time fav. Also liked 10 and 12. FF7...no. After spending sooo much time with FF6 there was no possible way 7 could be better and it isnt. Even in '97 I thought the graphics were crap. Would really like to see a remake of FF6 using FF13 engine. Didnt like FF13 battle system. It was boring and the characters sucked. And MMOs arent real RPGs. Great article and great comments.
  • Corsair89 - May 4, 2011 10:28 p.m.

I love FF partly because of how diverse the series is. I love that they are all so different that anyone can have an opinion of them one way or the other, instead of series like LoZ where Ocarina is the obligatory "best" game in the series. For me, out of all the FFs, FFX is by far my favorite. In my opinion, FFX is so far ahead of every other FF in terms of story, gameplay, and characters that it's in a completely different league. Tons of other people think it's a piece of shit, and that's perfectly fine. The definition of what FF is, was, and should be is completely arbitrary and that's what I love about it. And this reminds me, I have to get back on schedule if I want to complete the series, in order, before FFXIII-2 comes out. Back to X-2, I guess...
  • CitizenThom - May 4, 2011 10:14 p.m.

FFVI will always be my favorite, and as far as customizeable gameplay and a large cast of interesting characters with spelled out backstories... FFVI is what I wish every RPG was. Update FFVI to current graphics and sound, and that's what I;d want to take with me to a desert island. That and a ps3, hdtv, and power supply ha ha.
  • Fransinn - May 4, 2011 10:12 p.m.

WTF is a Wii-style Baby Mode difficulty? Seriously, what 12 year-old wrote this?
  • Sassafras - May 4, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Final Fantasy XIV "Why it’s the best FF ever: …yeah, you know what? We got nothin’." "WORST FF EVER" I so saw this coming lol.
  • Letter11 - May 4, 2011 10:06 p.m.

This article was great! As far as my favorite, I can't even decide.
  • boonattack - May 4, 2011 10:05 p.m.

i thought 13 was alright. i found the story engaging enough to enjoy the linearity and once you reached the part where it opened up - it was beautiful. the last time i gawped like that at a game was leaving the sewers back in oblivion (i assume u know what i mean) however the ending was weak, something im hoping 13-2 will put right. my only wish is that the world map returns for 15. it was always so rewarding when you received the skyship and got full access and secret areas and the like. I loved it in 4, 7 and 8. I want it with todays pretty visuals. Hell Lost Odyssey did it (the final fantasy that was wrongly named.
  • n00b - May 4, 2011 10:05 p.m.

FF13 "particularly the intense, challenging battle system" intense and challenging battle system my ass. just use saz to hast and protect party, lightning to commando and vanille to heal your party or de-buff enemies then switch to all rav or com, rav, rav and then keep pressing A worked for about 50 of my 70 hours playing the game. (cuz you get those things after the 20 hour tutorial) didn't mind the tube design of the game but hated the battle system useless final attacks, useless summons, auto selection for attacks or you keep pressing attack attack attack attack attack or fire fire fire fire fire or water water water water water or firestrike firestrike firestrike firestrike firestrike cure cure cure cure cure ruin ruin ruin ruin and really thats about it //end rant
  • FauxFurry - May 4, 2011 10 p.m.

It's a bit of a shame that the non-numbered/spin-off Final Fantasy games didn't get more than a passing mention on this list. Who wouldn't have loved to have seen why Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was the greatest Final Fantasy game ever or why Final Fantasy Tactics was the worst? FF X-2's reason for being the greatest would, without a doubt, be Paine and reason why it was the worst easily would be the fact that it exists to soften the impact of its prequel's twist ending (one of the best things about that game which shouldn't be spoiled in any way,shape, or form unless one desires it to be spoiled by, say, looking it up online somewhere).