Topics

editorial

• shawksta - September 30, 2013 5 p.m.

Great article zach, couldnt agree more. On occasion with games i have access too and love the world they create makes me manage to go back. But otherwise i love to keep them at memories, especially when you reach or remember, THAT part that pulls you away XD
  • BladedFalcon - September 30, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Nicely written article, although this really doesn't apply to me. I mean, I DO have a ton of nostalgic memories of my life associated with specific videogames, like the time they told me I had to get a back surgery to fix my spine lest I could potentially become paralyzed from the legs. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was the game I played like hell back then, and I'll always associate anything from it with that time. However, I don't feel any need to go back and play it. I already beat it, got all I wanted from it, and moved on. I remember it fondly, but since I remember it, I feel more drawn into playing new experiences instead of going back to old ones. This is why I never, ever keep any games, and why I always sell them or trade them. I know I won't get back to them because I'd rather find new worlds to loose myself into, immerse myself in new experiences and just enjoy the thousands of other great experiences waiting out there. The only games I've ever felt drawn into playing again are the 2D Castlevania games, because I am so in love with that world and that style of gameplay... and even then, it's a fleeting feeling because say, I got Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin or bargain last November, and even though I love both games, I only played dawn of sorrow for a couple hours... and haven't been drawn to play it or PoR since. I'd rather just play new stuff. Of course, this may also explain why I've never had any lasting friendships in my life :P Sad as it might sound, most friends I've ever made usually never last me more than a year, and then I stop talking to them, not because we fought or anything... I just simply lost interest >>; Only exception to this rule is my girlfriend, and well, I guess that's just because a deeper kind of connection XD
  • shawksta - September 30, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Better than nothing am i right? And your right, some games we just dont feel going back to but we still remember them fondly
  • Sliet - September 30, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Couldn't have described it any better, all the way through I had this huge grin on my face. Thanks for this article.
  • GR_ZachBetka - September 30, 2013 9:27 p.m.

That's exactly why I wrote it Thanks for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day to read these :)
  • knightnettie - September 30, 2013 3:33 p.m.

Here-here for Tales of Symphonia. I played that game, along with Suikoden III, a lot when my brother was fighting in Iraq. I wished that I could be Lloyd or Hugo and help him out, instead of feeling helpless. (Spoiler Alert) When Lulu died at the end of Hugo's Chapter 1, I literally sobbed, hoping that my brother wouldn't meet the same fate. Those two games carried me through the hardest part of my life, and I'll never forget those memories.
  • GOD - September 30, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Original Mario Party for the N64. While trying to do better than ever at the shy guy minigame in the shop, I was using the palm of my hand to rotate the joy stick and proceeded to mistakenly rip the skin off the palm of my hand. Ouch. I'll never forget that game though and love it to death.
  • ncurry2 - September 30, 2013 2:36 p.m.

It's not super old but one that sticks out for me is Mario strikers. It always reminds me of the college dorms and being able to escape from the immense stress I on myself over performing well in school. It was a great distraction yelling obscenities and insults at some of my close friends. But hearing the random nintendo character declaring, "next level games" always takes me back to that tiny dorm room being filled with way too many people clamoring for a wave bird.
  • GR_ZachBetka - September 30, 2013 9:30 p.m.

Yes! I have those same memories but with Smash Brothers. Everyone crowded around a terrible little TV, one person has that crappy controller with the broken analog stick, everyone is yelling and having a good time. Those were the days.
  • sweetchiliheat - September 30, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is easily one of my favourite games of all time. It released during my first few weeks of university, when I was still struggling to meet people. However, fighting the first titan battle (the Ice Giant) was awesome because of the crowd of people watching in awe as I scaled and defeated the boss. Other than that, games I feel really nostalgic about are RPGs. Fire Emblem: Awakening, Mass Effect 2, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy 13, Skyrim, Persona 4 Golden, Fable 2, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Knight of the Old Republic, Dragon Age: Origins. Each of these games had a profound effect on me, each for different reasons. I'm less attached to shooters, despite the fact that they're all my friends play. I suppose Halo 3: ODST, and Reach are special because I enjoyed them to the fullest with my brothers.