Topics

Microsoft

• myguyfromthe80s - August 3, 2010 3:46 p.m.

@jim2wheels - You must be one of the old guard to remember my Avatar :) The last five games I purchased are: Split Second, Assassins Creed II, Just Cause II, Heavy Rain and Borderlands. All have DLC's or some form of pay extension pack. I think it's safe to say DLC are now the majority, not minority. It's getting like kids TV whereas a programme is not commissioned unless it can be marketed (hence Transformers)
  • Dredgon - August 3, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Though I can see where you are coming from, Mr. Houghton, I really do think this was a great addition to the game and the fact that it was FREE if you bought a new copy of the game makes it all the better! I would rather have companies release DLC during the break between original and sequel (or sequel and sequel) so you still get to enjoy your favorite games while waiting for a full fledged sequel. Take BioWare for example. They have been going above and beyond the call of duty to deliver great DLC for Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 while also working on the sequels to those games. This allows them to tell parts of the story not included directly in the sequels for their storytelling reasons and even though they might cost a few bucks, they are well worth it to have more story excperience well waiting for the full fledged sequel later on down the line. Alan Wake is one of my favorite games, as are DA and ME 2, and I cannot wait for The Writer for AW and Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME 2, both great additions to already great stories, and tiding me over until Alan Wake 2 and Mass Effect 3...
  • TheJuda - August 3, 2010 3:38 p.m.

Brilliant? The combat was the worst part of the full game. It was repetitive and annoying as hell and the DLC is 90% combat againt the Taken and the same old possessed items. The Signal was an hour and a half of garbage. The DLC answered ZERO questions of the full game like what happened to Rose or Mr. Scratch and only added useless new features like the words that you had to light up to get items instead of just picking them up. If I paid 560 points for this advertising campaign, (can you hear me now?) I would be livid. Definitely not going to bother with the next DLC.
  • jim2wheels - August 3, 2010 3:32 p.m.

@myguyfromthe80s First of loveing the Enter the Dragon pic, good memories! I agree with you, except they never do make it clear that you may have to purchase DLC to get the full experience intended by the development studio. If i buy a game I want to know beforehand that some of it will be held back as DLC, at the moment this is not the case. All DLC is being sold on the basis that it is additional content, when infact it is already on the disc. I would not buy the game if I knew I would need to buy the DLC (which is a false term as nothing is actually downloaded in most cases) to experience the game in full, as it was intended.
  • myguyfromthe80s - August 3, 2010 3:23 p.m.

You have to look at the business side of things. Worms was developed by one guy, now teams consisting of hundreds of people are used to create a game, but yet, I pay the same for a brand new game now as I did in 1992/3 (Mortal Kombat II). In most cases they are cheaper now as there was no pre-owned market when I was a spotty teenager. Game developers and publishers need to keep a money revenue to cover the higher costs, and if that means leaving game content out (which was clearly made with the game) to slap on a DLC for an extra fiver, then I'm happy with that as I have the CHOICE to buy it or not. The alternative is new game prices start at £60.00 instead. People who complain don't seem to remember (or aren't old enough to) when the same £40.00 bought you Sewer Shark or Superman 64
  • Ultimadrago - August 3, 2010 3:02 p.m.

I believe DLC can actually "undermine" the substance of itself at points. For example, in Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing when you purchase Metal Snoic and the stage with him it feels tacked on. The announcer doesn't comment on Metal Sonic AT ALL. He gets no memorable tunes. Is not even a computer in single matches. It is money (usually too much of it) for something that most likely doesn't get fleshed out the way it needs to.
  • jim2wheels - August 3, 2010 2:41 p.m.

The whole DLC situation stinks. The original concept was a great one, unfortunately we barely saw the benefits before developers realised how much cash they could make by selling parts of the game that are already on the disc. Games are simply costing way too much to make, until this changes I can only see things getting worse. Gamers should adopt the Apple App Store approach, prices are controlled by the consumers unwilling to be ripped of with shoddy DLC or overpriced games
  • SgtSlushy - August 3, 2010 2:32 p.m.

I like DlC