• jasoncarter - November 10, 2012 11:22 p.m.

I would be more then happy with xcom, if it wasn't a bug ridden mess. Hell I'd be more then happy to do ironman in xcom overall its a fun game, but when enemies teleport in randomly right in the middle of my troops, shoot me through multiple walls, and my soldiers get stuck under floors, incorrect flanking on troops, and I suddenly get tossed an extra abduction mission even though I just finished one, there is a problem. Hard and fun is one thing, cheap glitches is another. Why does no game website talk about this kinda stuff with xcom? Just curious. Also, FTL is a damn fun game.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - November 11, 2012 11:50 a.m.

Hmmm, I played a LOT of XCOM, and I rarely encountered these types of problems. If I had, I probably wouldn't place it among the games I find challenging and fair.
  • jasoncarter - November 12, 2012 10:52 p.m.

Sadly, I've had too many to count. In fact just today on my play I had not 1 enemy squad but 2 instantly teleport right in the middle of my squad. I have it on video. This is what is stopping me from doing ironman. Sigh, I wish they would fix these issues its really a good game.
  • jasoncarter - November 12, 2012 11:39 p.m.

I uploaded it, here's the link in case anyone wants to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOGw62EJrRk&feature=youtu.be
  • rxb - November 11, 2012 8 a.m.

Good article, I do agree with you but I think sometimes games are made a bit easier just so people actually finish them.
  • Broddeb - November 11, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Respect for mentioning the Soul’s series. For me, Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls were and are a breath of fresh air in the current climate. I actually brought a PS3 just for Demon’s Souls and even though I did, I still didn’t expect the type of challenge and the punishment that awaited me. I had read that it was a difficult game in loads of reviews, but in my mind at that time “hard” meant that the enemies would have harder hit points than me and several other factors, small life bar, lack of health pick ups in an area, loads of enemies would spawn etc….. Now, I’m not sure if it is because for the past 4-5 years I have been spoon fed hand holding games or if I have been picking the wrong games but the challenge that awaited me on Demon’s Souls was such a welcome smack in the face that is something I have never forgot and it awakened a part of my gaming soul that had been dormant for years - and in a good way!!! Looking at my game collection now, all the games I have are great and are games that I will go back to and will forever keep in my collection. Yet two stand out….. They are the contorted and twisted offspring that dwells in the attic awaiting its bucket of fish heads at Xmas while the rest of the family sit down for a Christmas turkey with all the trimmings on December the 25th. They are the medieval monks that see punishment as a better way of proving ones faith rather than praying in a church; whipping their own backs to a bloody pulp instead of kneeling down to porcelain idols. I may be going a bit over board here but you hopefully get my meaning? Hopefully? A game that had such strict rules and was as unforgiving as the Soul’s series will always be something that I will go back to because they challenged me, and in this day and age that is something that stands out. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the gaming industry as much as the next gamer but I have to agree with the OP; games that punish me are the ones I love the best.
  • talleyXIV - November 11, 2012 4:15 p.m.

X-Com is so good.
  • Nocturne989 - November 12, 2012 8:34 a.m.

I love games that offer that kind of difficult yet rewarding gameplay, especially RPGS. Loved Dark Souls when I played it. Spent so much time reading opponents moves and plotting my moves to beat the bonus bosses in KH: BBS and it was so rewarding when I finally did. And SMT: Nocturne on Hard difficulty was easily the most difficult turn based rpg I've played, and I have extremely fond memories of it. Finally beating that game after 80+ hours was the culmination of an amazing experience.