Topics

launch

• mothbanquet - November 7, 2013 7:14 a.m.

Halo and Rogue Leader were system-sellers for me. As was (the demo of) MGS2. Those were the first consoles I could buy on launch, thanks to the new-fangled thing called 'disposable income'. I didn't truly get excited for the 360 or PS4 until I saw Oblivion and though I've now abandoned the console rat-race for the PC, I must say that Killzone would just about do it for me if I hadn't. The Xbone's lineup just seems so... Someone finish that sentence for me.
  • hester2 - November 7, 2013 10:27 a.m.

...tempting for Forza alone. I'm going PS4 for launch, but I doubt an XB1 purchase is far behind it.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 10:46 a.m.

In contrast, I couldn't care any less about Forza :P
  • hester2 - November 7, 2013 10:57 a.m.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for racing games. Not quite to Justin's level, but pretty damn close.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Yep, therein lies the difference, I dislike virtually ALL racing games, and thus my lack of interest XD I will give the Xbone this though, Dead Rising 3 looks more interesting to me than any of the "big" titles Sony has lined up for the PS4. I'm not getting either console any time soon anyway, there's still way a lot more on the PS3 i have left to play, and Dark Souls 3 and Lords of Shadow 2 excite me way more than any next gen title so far.
  • hester2 - November 7, 2013 1:05 p.m.

From the sound of previews, it sounds like Killzone has really been improved upon, especially concerning the more open mission design. I'm sure my nephew is going to go apeshit over Knack, too. Overall, nothing super exciting, but how many launches really are? If I was still in college like the last launch, I'd definitely wait. This time around, though, I just decided to say "screw it" and placed the pre-order. First launch system I've ever bought.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 2:18 p.m.

Heh, see, yet again, we seem to be on opposite ends here :P Not in college anymore either, but the last 2 console generations, I bought them very close at launch... And I kinda wish I hadn't. I mean, I know the excitement, but I've also found that patience seems to reward more, since by waiting a year or two, it's clearer and easier to see which console works the best, and what will be for me.
  • hester2 - November 7, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Ha, we might disagree on pretty much everything, but at least we're civil about it. I got called an Xbox fanboy on IGN today just for saying that I'm going to change out the HDD on the PS4 when I get it. I keep forgetting that the only part of IGN where it's safe to comment is on the TV reviews. Back to what you said, the only reason I feel safe prioritizing the PS4 is because I know that I prefer the PS4's exclusive franchises, or in the case of Naughty Dog, publishers. Don't get me wrong, I recognize that Halo and Gears of War are strong franchises that make great games, I just suck SO BAD at them. This past gen I've pretty much waited for them to drop to $30-40 before picking them up because the singleplayer is pretty much all I can enjoy out of them. I'm definitely getting an XB1 at some point, if only for Forza and Titanfall. I figure it's going to be worth it for me. I'm picking up Knack as part of Targets B2G1 deal next week, so hopefully that means I can actually use my phone when my nephew comes out instead of the little SOB stealing it. I'm a sucker for Pixar, so I'm sure I'll get a kick out of it, too. I already picked up COD for PS3, so I essentially get a game for $10 when I upgrade. Shadow Fall looks like it should be a good diversion, and it may end up being the game Killzone was always hyped to be. Finally, it'll be nice to play 64v64 Battlefield with my friends instead of with strangers like I had to do with BF3 (I'm the only PC gamer in my circle. Which makes no sense to me. I know two guys who only have to drop $100 more than they're paying for a PS4 to upgrade their current PC's, and they would be set for 5 years.) To each his own, though. If it weren't for guys like me buying early, we'd have another Vita situation on our hands where no one buys the system, so no one makes games for it. Whenever you buy the system of your choice, remember to thank me for the massive library available to you. Shit. I just realized I lied earlier. I bought a Vita at launch. Totally worth it, by the way. The ability to hit Standby, walk away, and pick up where I left off enabled me to beat my very first Persona game (P3P). For reference, before I did that, I owned both P3 FES and Persona 4 on PS2. Just couldn't find the time to beat them with the save point system the consoles forced on you. Holy hell. I hope you enjoyed my book. Look for the sequel, on shelves soon.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 7:05 p.m.

Lol, no worries, I've written entire anthologies in the comments of this site myself :P And oh, don't get me wrong, i understand the appeal, and some of the games you've mentioned I'm curious to try them out myself, like knack or KZ: ShadowFall, i just don't feel in a hurry to play them just yet. Still, if you feel they'll be worth it, that's awesome! And yes, I do have to say thank you to guys like you that buy the console on day one XD Again, i've done it in the past, and while I'm not in a dire position economically, I'm also not really in one in which I can just simply dish out the money and not regret it later. Which is why I wanna wait and make a more informed decision. Either way though, I'll be looking forward to see your though on both consoles, and hopefully that you'll be satisfied with both purchases as you've been with the vita ^^
  • hester2 - November 7, 2013 7:20 p.m.

To be honest, the only reason I've got the money is because I was counting on buying tickets to see UGA at least go to the SEC Championship. Since that's not going to happen, I've got some savings to burn. For the reviews, if past experience is any indication, just look at the reviews on GR. The only other site that was more in line with my opinion on virtually every game was Gamespy once they started their PC focus, but sadly, they don't exist any more. Also, anything that Dan Stapleton writes on IGN. He's a carryover from Gamespy, and he's pretty damn trustworthy. Just don't venture into the comments. Those people are vicious.
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 8:01 p.m.

Oh I know, i visit IGN with some regularity, but I don't even have an account, some times I make the mistake of reading the comments... And regret it every single time :P
  • tomasspipass - November 7, 2013 7:03 a.m.

I would love to see a next gen Wipeout game be released on PS4. Is this a possibility? The series seems to have faded of recent so i've no idea if we will see another wipeout game again. Anyone know? Fingers crossed for an announcement at the PS4 launch :D
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 8:55 a.m.

When you say "is it a possibilty", I assume you realise that Sony Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis closed its doors fairly recently and are hoping another studio picked it up? Because I have no idea what Sony plans to do with the franchise now. Why would they close a studio with such a storied legacy that also makes one of their most iconic series? Utterly baffling. Wipeout HD still looks glorious. I think there were mumblings about it not being dead, but everything's since gone quiet. So a PS4 announcement WOULD be a nice surprise.
  • Doctalen - November 7, 2013 6:37 a.m.

Huh that's interesting, I didn't know Halo: Combat Evolved was a launch title. I knew it was a flagship game (I still have the Halo limited edition xbox ^_^) but didn't think of it as a launch title. Still when ever a new generation comes around, I end up begrudgingly waiting a couple of years to buy a console. Though this might change if Destiny weren't being released in mid 2014. Still other than that, like every other new generation nothing seems appealing to me early on.
  • Pruman - November 7, 2013 6:21 a.m.

I vividly remember going to Toys 'R Us and seeing an N64 demo kiosk with Super Mario 64 prominently placed right in the middle of the floor, right to the left of the store entrance. It had a line of kids eager to try it out, with an employee shooing them away after a few minutes. I, an eager 13-year old, told my parents to go do whatever while my little brothers and I waited. We had already been primed for this game by months of glowing 90's-era coverage in Nintendo Power and the brightly-colored N64 video tape that came in my mailbox one day, and I was going to try it come hell or high water. When my turn came up, the game blew my mind. Mario can go in any direction? You can move slower or faster depending on how much you tilt the stick? It looks prettier than most arcade games, and I'll be able to play it IN MY HOUSE?!?!!?! Insanity! We knew then that we had to have that system, and a sustained begging and negotiating campaign by the three of us, which would put Bart and Lisa Simpson to shame, made it happen. That said, although it was the most memorable, it wasn't my favorite launch game of all time. That honor goes to Rogue Leader on the GameCube. No Star Wars game since TIE Fighter had managed to so effectively capture the spirit of the franchise, and the two levels where you play as Darth Vader and try to win the Battle of Yavin for the Empire brought me right back to those days. The medal ranking system and hidden upgrades in each level also gave it a ton of replay value.
  • mothbanquet - November 7, 2013 7:24 a.m.

Thanks be to you for also remembering the pant-shittingly good Rogue Leader. Polygon-perfect battles with a Star Destroyer; what better way to launch a system?
  • hester2 - November 7, 2013 7:22 p.m.

And here I am, yet again kicking myself for missing out on the GameCube. With Rogue Squadron being one of my favorite N64 games, it hurts even worse. Thank you for that.
  • JarkayColt - November 7, 2013 5:39 a.m.

Super Mario 64 has got to be one of the absolute greatest, most groundbreaking and influential launch games of all time. And this isn't blind fanboy nostalgia or anything... I had a PlayStation and didn't even know about Mario 64 until the next generation. Even so, I can appreciate the effect it had on games at the time; I was playing stuff like Spyro the Dragon which was almost certainly playing off Mario 64's strengths and successes. Definitely a 'blueprint' game.
  • taokaka - November 7, 2013 5:36 a.m.

My favourite launch game of all time was tekken tag tournament, unfortunately neither of the upcoming consoles have anything I'm as excited for as I was for TTT. Watch dogs was looking like the launch game to have but then it got delayed so KZ is probably going to be the big ps4 game, that along with resogun and contrast, the ps plus freebies for that month look like the best ps4 launch games. Meanwhile on the XBone lococycle is the only launch game that has me interested.
  • Cyberninja - November 7, 2013 5:09 a.m.

Honestly looking back the only system that had a good launch in my opinion was Dreamcast, they had many different things for everyone and most of it was a good reason to get next gen, which is nothing I can say about anything since which mostly have had cross gen ports and only one or two killer apps
  • BladedFalcon - November 7, 2013 10:47 a.m.

The SNES says hi.
  • hester2 - November 7, 2013 7:26 p.m.

Um, PS2. It had Midnight Club, Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, SSX (!), Smuggler's Run (which still, to this day, holds up), Time Splitters, and Unreal Tournament. I also remember playing Fantavision and being blown away by how fun such a simple game was. It was like the precursor to my illicit love affair with Geometry Wars.