Topics

E3 E3 2012 Ubisoft

We Recommend

• Imgema - June 5, 2012 2:36 p.m.

Are you telling me that we have to spot little details in pictures to notice the difference between this gen and the next? The difference should be obvious like night and day. This does not look like a big leap. It does, however, look too good for 360/PS3. So i bet this version was running on a powerful PC.
  • usmovers_02 - June 5, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Lol. This game absolutely COMPLETELY outstrips anything on modern consoles AND PCs w/o needing to see tiny details. There are SO many additional tiny detail on screen in addition to the big details that it's clear right off the bat the 360 and PS3 can't handle this.
  • kevinw729 - June 5, 2012 3:54 p.m.

There seems to be a bunch of fan-boys that are expecting the Next-Next-Gen to be a brilliant new graphical performance upscale - true rendering, real time lighting, model deformation, etc. The knowledge that the PS4 and XB460 will in-fact be 2013 releases that will not have major graphics updates, but be DLC heavy constantly connected hardware, is too little too late - a concern that we could be facing a damp squib next-next-gen hardware launch (with ominous shadows of the 1984 crash coming to mind). Add into the mix, the collapse in interest in 3D, and the constant rumors of a DreamCast2 and you see why some are prepared (want) to believe that this SDK over-clocked demo is a next-next-gen release... just to allay their concern on what the reality really is.
  • amagasakiseb - June 6, 2012 6:19 a.m.

I'm not sure whether or not we should expect such a big leap for the next-gen. Here's my opinion of how the generations have changed in terms of graphics at least (the most immediately visible change). PS1 -> PS2 = massive leap in graphical fidelity (compare ps1 final fantasy games with ps2 final fantasy games) PS2 -> PS3 = massive in graphical fidelity (compare killzone 1 to killzone 2). PS3 - PS? = I'm hoping it will be another massive leap but I think it will be just a big leap rather than a massive leap. Looking at this, the demo from Square Enix and the gameplay from Star Wars 1313, it looks like there will enough difference to say "yeah that's next-gen" but not a big enough gap to be saying "WOW THATS F***ING NEXT-GEN!" let's face it. Anybody can decorate a poo, but who can decorate a decorated poo? I'm sure there's a more technical way to say that but it's 10pm now and my brain isn't working at full speed!
  • kevinw729 - June 5, 2012 2:14 p.m.

This demo has gone from hero to zero in only 14-hours! Now we are all running round trying to find out the truth of what the actual PS3 and XB360 version will actually achieve. I wonder if this could be a big mistake by the publisher - showing a over-clocked PC version only to then have to admit that the final release is a tenth the performance! Make a lot in the press conference look very stupid?
  • RandyChimp - June 5, 2012 2:08 p.m.

As someone said earlier in this thread of comments, it's been confirmed as current gen, for release on Ps3, 360 and PC. Stop pushing for next gen, let's stick with our current consoles, which are still doing just fine!
  • usmovers_02 - June 5, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Just because it's been confirmed for this gen doesn't mean it's not also coming out for next gen.
  • ncurry2 - June 5, 2012 2:06 p.m.

I'm just excited to see a seemingly sandbox city that isn't New York or LA (for those of you unfamiliar with US cities, this is Chicago. The opening art fadeout is a giveaway with the Sears tower (or whatever it goes by now) and the twin parking garage/apartment buildings. Also I've walked over the bridge that they show before; one of many liftable bridges in Chicago.) But this is most certainly the PC version of the game.
  • Kurando - June 5, 2012 2:04 p.m.

An excellent analysis, I think it's next gen myself, it just looked too good.
  • M_Cloud - June 5, 2012 2:03 p.m.

Its been confirmed current gen http://www.shoptonews.net/2012/06/05/watch_dogs-confirmed-for-current-gen-new-screens/
  • TheRandomFool - June 5, 2012 1:55 p.m.

Well, if it is current, they have a damn good engine doing it, and if it isn't - PC that runs flawlessly right now should handle that just fine.
  • sgloomy - June 5, 2012 1:54 p.m.

I kinda thought the same thing. For a real time viewing, there were waaay too many elements involved, each acting perfectly. from what I understood, the way he killed the guy in the car could have happened in a different way meaning that the NPC in the car crying over the dead driver would react completely differently in a different scenario. In AC you can kill your target in different ways but the NPCs all move and act the exact same way each and every time. I was also thinking (read Hoping) that The Last Guardian was also not present because it is being developed for Next-Gen. all this could be wishing too much but it could also all be a dream rather than reality. what would be exceptional is if GTA V, Watch Dogs, The Last Gaurdian and more games are all going to be next gen, released at launch holiday 2013. not saying it will happen, but I can hope, right? either way, this game looks really amazing.
  • rufnux - June 5, 2012 1:53 p.m.

Good to see the old article setup, the new one is so.. I don't know, worse than this. It's still good tough, but this is better.
  • Zeedar - June 5, 2012 1:48 p.m.

That's exactly what I was thinking, when I first saw the game. I hope the gaming rig I'm about to buy won't go obsolete by the time this comes out...
  • Tjwoods18 - June 5, 2012 1:47 p.m.

And of course there is that whole arguement that the ps3 has yet to be pushed to its limit, but I do not feel like arguing.
  • sgloomy - June 5, 2012 1:57 p.m.

even if that is right, which i actually think it might be, Sony won't stick with the PS3 and will move on with PS4 or whatever its going to be called. They would just have to pack the same stuff in a new shiny box and call it something else to be able to compete if that is the case.
  • db1331 - June 5, 2012 1:46 p.m.

"But why would you demo it on such a souped-up PC if you're going to release a noticeably inferior console version a year down the line?" DICE did this with BF3, except they released the noticeably inferior console version on the same day as the PC version. Obviously the game wouldn't look like this on 360/PS3, but if they lowered the resolution to sub-720, removed the fancy lighting, reigned in the view distance and amount of cars and people, and then capped the whole thing at 30fps (which are all common practice on console) they could easily get it to run on current consoles. It's the same with the Star Wars 1313 game. The game they demoed can't run on current consoles, but once they gut everything out it will. I certainly wouldn't say it's "Next-gen" though. There are plenty of PC games that look as good, if not better. I'd bet your average mid-high range PC could handle it no problem. I read a lot of PC gaming sites, and I can't recall seeing anyone being blown away by the graphics. The gameplay itself is undeniably interesting though. This and The Last of Us were the only games that held my attention throughout the duration of their clips.
  • Shadow Of Death - June 5, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Glad to hear it's a PC title. I'll definitely be picking it up for PC. Hope my hardware can handle it at this level of detail XD It seems, in any case, that the PC is the lead platform? I would hope so, anyway.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 5, 2012 1:43 p.m.

-_- Don't be coy gamesradar. I DVR'ed the Ubisoft press conference and the CEO specifically stated that they have been working on the title for more than two years now. That seems like a long time to be in the hands of next generation technology. And to even add more flaws to this arguement Ubisoft was using what looked like a ps3 controller the whole time. Anyways, it ways seeing that they did not directly implicate that it was for the Wii U that means it would be developed for sony/microsoft products. Sony nor microsoft showed their next systems, so it would have been pointless to show next gen tech when the next gen tech was not even their in a first party perspective.
  • Person5 - June 5, 2012 2:06 p.m.

just to add an argument, it is possible they said they were using a PS3 but actually using a PS4, no one would notice, especially since the controller will no doubt look exactly the same