• TheDCSniper - March 2, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Noisia are not a dubstep group.! Their music falls more into the electro house or even drum & bass category
  • Net_Bastard - March 2, 2012 12:55 p.m.

It's not Noisia. It's a remix of a Noisia song made by 16bit.
  • ST4TE - March 2, 2012 5:55 p.m.

@DCSniper 'even in the drum'n'bass category' Seriously? They ORIGINATED there. Furthermore, nowadays they are more like dub'n'bass. Most the new singles/remixes are dubstep or with dubstep influences. Proof? Try Thommy's Theme. @Net_Bastard 'It's not Noisia' nah, 16 bit made a totally new song sounding suspiciously like Machine Gun by Noisia. Remixes are mostly a collab, since there's copyrights and stuff to the original song. To both, do your homework before sounding stupid.
  • KidJustKid - March 2, 2012 2:22 p.m.

I am genuinely disappointed that you call Noisia an electro/even-DnB group. Just have a look at their Discogs page - they run 3 labels, Vision, Division and Invisible. Vision is exclusively Noisia + collabs and is all DnB. Invisible is their wider scope experimental DnB label - 4 tracks an EP, 1 Noisia collab and 3 others from up-and-coming producers. Division is their alternative label, on which most of their alternative output goes. The majority is more breaks and broken beat. That label's had 6 releases, including the album Split the Atom, which makes sense given how varied and epic and non-dancefloor fodder it is. They are now signed in the US to Mau5trap, who are by tradition a 128-140 bpm label, so I expect their next projects to have a similar range, but notwithstanding, they are at their heart, for the last decade, and always will be 3 Dutch guys who like to produce drum and bass. I know this because I am a DnB nerd, a producer myself, and have an original run copy of Hubcap/Backdraft on 12" from 2004 which is one of my prized possessions. I think one of the most tragic things in modern music is how ignorant people can be - I'm not trying to claim Noisia for my camp, I just want people to acknowledge the existence of a 'zombie back catalogue' and people's roots. I just want people to listen to good music. Sorry if I went on a rant, but srs, I've written 1000 word articles for magazines on 'genre and scene fragmentation' and why it may be good for trends and labels, but can cause some serious strife for experimenters and producers in general. I also feel I'm fairly qualified to mention dubstep in general, because I'm from the UK therefore must be completely obsessed with it and have listened to it since the heady days of 20... no, hang on, what sort of halcyon am I in? The truth is that the lulzstep that 11 year olds can flasturbate to is a fad that WILL SELL GAMES, so get used to it. It just so happens that very many people happen to like the music itself as well - you don't need to read Burial reviews on Pitchfork to also see the appeal of a raw, brutal Skream or Reso track and similarly don’t need to equate Flux Pavilion and Excision with metal or breakcore. My point is that game trailers are not games are not music tastes are not good music. Don't waste hate on bashing music which is a microcosm in and of itself - there's enough of it already and I've just spouted my fair share. PS. I actually quite liked the Far Cry 3 trailer. ^_^'' I do agree that new Terminator bass noises are needed soon though. Salad anyone?
  • Japanaman - March 2, 2012 11:23 a.m.

I'll be glad to turn thirty so I won't be into DubStep any more. Still, just like senior citizens listen to music that was popular when they were young, I bet one day, seniors will be listening to LMFAO. "Every day we're shufflin'"... Yes... Shuffling down halls with walkers due to arthritis from trying to dance to songs like Party Rock.
  • therawski - March 2, 2012 11:22 a.m.

I welcome it to re-purpose my flesh.
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - March 2, 2012 11:09 a.m.

I am so sick of dumpstep noise in every single game trailer. This industry has got to stop jumping onto every bandwagon so hard and so fast that it burns out almost instantly. Generic first person shooters every month, Facebook/iOS games being pumped out by the thousands in a modern day goldrush, television commercials showing no actual gameplay (Skyrim, Dead Island, etc) and now incessant dumpstep "music". I'm getting too old and too cranky for this shit. Anyways, thanks for bringing this annoying trend to light Mr. Houghton. Somebody give this guy a raise.
  • darron13 - March 2, 2012 10:56 a.m.

There's some good dubstep, but alot of crap. Luckily that Noisia - Machine Gun (16 Bit Remix) is one of the good ones, actually it was the dubstep song that made me realize the genre existed a few years back.
  • neilwad - March 2, 2012 10:49 a.m.

its personal taste really, Im 19 and love abit of dubstep but then i hate heavy metal. Im sure when bands like the who, T Rex and queen first came out they were hated by people who used to listen to glen miller. But its what people wanted at the time. Dubstep although i do listen to it at home is more a club type genre. If you go into a night club and it comes on the atmospheres is briliant. If so many people hated it they wouldnt keep making it!
  • DoctorCrazy - March 2, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Well said. Whether you like it or not, it is "new" music. I conpletely agree with your analogy.
  • BladedFalcon - March 2, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Fuck dubstep. That is all.
  • Odrankt - March 2, 2012 10:26 a.m.

i my self am a just turned 17 year old Dj who hates Dubstep quite alot..... and saying all people under the age of 30 like/love dubstep is a bit to far i would say its the people who want to be different and in scene like dubstep my brother loves it but the rest dont. I dont understand why Dubstep is in game trailers and wish it never did happen because well music makes a trailer aswell as whats shown but dub step dosnt work well in most of the trailers. If game companys want to make there trailers up to date with us young folk they should show explosive car chases (if any) main bad guy(s) main character and so on with some music old or new that actully works with whats being shown Thats my opion on the whole trailers with Dubstep and i know others will dis agree or say 'im wrong or stupid' but other will agree with most of what im saying (hopefully)
  • Evanesco - March 2, 2012 10:36 a.m.

You're not good with jokes are you
  • Odrankt - March 2, 2012 10:45 a.m.

what????? i wasnt making any jokes????
  • Memph - March 2, 2012 11:18 a.m.

you should have detected a slight hint of sarcasm in the article
  • MinxRiot - March 2, 2012 10:13 a.m.

I wish the dubstep craze would just die already. As I've told my dubstep liking friends, I'm sure there is good dubstep but 99% of it is trash and I'm really not willing to listen to a lot of bad music to find one good song. So yeah, please take the dubstep out of games. Thank you.
  • NanoElite666 - March 2, 2012 9:38 a.m.

Game trailers need more metal, end of story. Like that Dark Souls trailer from a while back that used that song by The Silent Comedy. Some heavy, oppressive doom metal would have fit the overall tone of Dark Souls a hell of a lot better than that song.
  • Jasman - March 2, 2012 9:09 a.m.

So..much..inappropriate...WUB!
  • DannyMB - March 2, 2012 8:57 a.m.

Great video Dave! Completely agree that its used way too much. I wish more game developers put more thought into the kind of music that goes with games. Imagine if Halo: CE had come out with a "Nu Metal" soundtrack? Instead they did a male choir and pretty much every gamer knows how the tune goes, as it was different, innovative and memorable. I'll just leave you with this thought: Star Wars nearly had a 70's disco soundtrack.
  • ObliqueZombie - March 2, 2012 8:42 a.m.

It's not that I don't like dubstep, it's the "fans" I hate. The kids who wear hats that embroider "dubstep" in the front, the ones who buy overpriced headphones to listen to the same 15 songs, and the ones who have no regard to the literal DJs who make them--it's all just "dubstep" to them. And thank you, David Houghton, for voicing the EXACT reason why I've been screaming "What?! WHY?!" at every trailer I've viewed this year. p.s.: I did think Borderland 2's trailer was befitting. It IS Borderlands, after all.