• Shnubby - July 21, 2012 2:16 p.m.

This was a great article! Mario has such a great history, it's a shame he's not as big as he used to be in terms of popularity... Ps: Why is that "tehtimeisnow" person leaving stupid hate comments on every article that's Nintendo related? Haha.
  • J-Fid - July 21, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Because it secretly owns every Nintendo product ever released. It probably types its comments with a Power Glove on.
  • Shnubby - July 22, 2012 4:47 a.m.

ahahahaha! I almost forgot about the power glove!
  • Mariofreak63 - July 21, 2012 1:14 p.m.

To clarify, the first Mario game to be voiced is actually a game called Mario's Game Gallery. Mario's Game Gallery is a compilation of games published by Interplay Entertainment Corp. and developed by Presage Software, Inc. for the PC. It was released in 1995. It was later re-released as Mario's FUNdamentals, though it was published by Mindscape for the PC version and by Stepping Stone for the Macintosh version. It was also developed by Brainstorm Entertainment. It was released for the Macintosh in 1996, and for the PC in January 1997. It is the first video game to feature Mario voiced by Charles Martinet, though most attribute Super Mario 64 as being the first.
  • tehtimeisnow - July 21, 2012 12:37 p.m.

a well nown fact about mario is all the ganes hes ever been in r complete garbege this is a fact cuz mario games suck end of storey
  • Shnubby - July 21, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Seriously, learn to spell.
  • BaraChat - July 21, 2012 3:53 p.m.

Obvious troll is obvious. And is absurdly horrible at writing in proper english... On topic, I thought I would have known at least half of these, having played many, many Mario games for over 2 decades, but I only knew 7. I guess there are many things I never noticed, so thank you GR, it was actually a very entertaining piece.
  • J-Fid - July 21, 2012 4:18 p.m.

How many times do I have to tell you people to ignore this guy? Responding to him is like being one those old people falling for an obvious phone scam. Also, I'm 99% sure he (or maybe he's an it, what do I know) doesn't care what you all have to say to him. He just trolls, then waits for you guys to freak out. It's a formula so simple, only an old person could actually fall for such a scam.
  • archnite - July 21, 2012 12:12 p.m.

Henry Gilbert: Executive Editor of Nintendo and Comics strikes again. Only notable factoid I can think of is that SMB was supposed to have side scrolling shooter stages.
  • garnsr - July 21, 2012 10:58 a.m.

I'm surprised anyone didn't know that was an axe you jump on behind Bowser in the original SMB, but I know how these strange things get into your head when you're a kid, then stay there. I have a hard time remembering what names are official now, whether Toadstool and Bowser are the new versions, or the ones I grew up with. Kuribo's Shoe is still a much better name.
  • comaqi - July 21, 2012 9:48 a.m.

This was awesome!
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - July 20, 2012 9:02 p.m.

He's always been Bowser here, unless they changed the instruction manual at some point. There, he's "Bowser, King of the Koopa." Unless you simply meant that in Japan, he was Daimao Kuppa (Great Demon King Koopa).
  • TPoppaPuff - July 20, 2012 8:34 p.m.

It's King Bowser Koopa and Princess Peach Toadstool. Bowser and Peach are first names, Koopa and Toadstool are last names. The intro to Mario 64 proves this. Her letter is from Princess Toadstool and she signs it Peach.
  • PoweringUp - July 25, 2012 9:48 a.m.

She Signs it Princess Toadstool Peach. Meaning her name is Peach Toadstool. Better than her name being Peach Mario. Hopefully they don't get married, and make it even more confusing.
  • J-Fid - July 20, 2012 8:20 p.m.

I knew 13 of those, but the rest totally came as a surprise. Guess I need to waste more time doing more research.
  • LordZarlon - July 20, 2012 7:45 p.m.

Excellent work Henry! I really enjoyed this article. It was fun to read and showed us that, if we bothered to read manuals and pre-release info, we might actually know more about our favorite games than we do.
  • ObliqueZombie - July 20, 2012 6:16 p.m.

Also, can you imagine a slew of Popeeye games, and not Mario? The world would be much, much bleaker.
  • fattoler - July 21, 2012 11:57 a.m.

You misspelled 'better'. I mean if they were as good as the Mario games that is...
  • ObliqueZombie - July 25, 2012 7:33 p.m.

Super Popeye Galaxy. Enough said.
  • ObliqueZombie - July 20, 2012 6:09 p.m.

You know, I've always wondered where the hell that "It's on like Donkey Kong" came from. I'm glad to know it was the most annoying voice-over in Black Ops.
  • ZenRobot - July 20, 2012 5:55 p.m.

this is one of the best articles I've ever read on here. thank you.
  • Annihilator820 - July 20, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Luigi doing the ASL sign for "lesbian" in front of both princesses. Solid effing gold right there. One of the biggest benefits of Luigi not being in the spotlight is that they can get away with making him do strange and less than child-friendly stuff like this with most people being none the wiser.