Topics

Top 7

• archnite - May 6, 2013 1:12 p.m.

Wow is that use of "draconian" a reference to Mikel Reparaz? Who used the same word to describe AC's PC DRM or is that just a coincidence and I'm looking way too deep. Sweet article BTW. ...how can I get more initialisms in here?
  • BladedFalcon - May 6, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Yay! The week of hate is back! And oh Coop, I knew this article was written by you even before clicking on it. You won't ever stop white knighting tacked on multiplayer, eh? :P Anyway, I can definitely agree with the first 5 spots in that the gaming community certainly overrates in their hate of these things, and they aren't as bad as we make them out to be. With Regards of yearly sequels however... I'm sorry, but there's really no justification there other than the fact that the companies are shamelesly exploiting a market just because they can get away with it. And there's really no justification for it. Yes, all companies are in it for the money, but taking a bit more effort in properly creating the next entry of your franchise can actually give you more money in the long run. The prime example? Nintendo. For better or worse, the company has excelled in staying afloat even during hard times thanks to the strength of their franchises alone. Why? yes, they keep pumping them out, but it's almost never on a yearly basis, and they are released in a way that shows significant quality and improvement, and that's what keeps gamers coming back long after over-milked yearly franchises like Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk have been dried out and killed. As for DRM? Yes, you're right that gamers have been asking for it because yes, Piracy is unacceptable and people shouldn't do it... The problem is that DRM never actually works completely, and the people that want to pirate it, are STILL going to pirate the game anyway. I mean, I understand DRM in the instances were it works, such as in, say... consoles. You could say the way they are made automatically makes them sort of a DRM because you can't pirate games the way you can on a PC, but people playing consoles don't mind because this in no way hinders our enjoyment of the game, nor are you required to have a stable, always online connection to play. So, maybe if developers or even PC makers could find ways in making DRM unobstructive and actually USEFUL in stopping piracy, then maybe people wouldn't hate it so much.
  • Bloodstorm - May 6, 2013 2:08 p.m.

"So, maybe if developers or even PC makers could find ways in making DRM unobstructive and actually USEFUL in stopping piracy, then maybe people wouldn't hate it so much." It's called Steam, but it's the 'hard copy' mentality of many gamers is keeping retailed versions on shelves and easily pirated.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 6, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Well I mean there's just some bit of satisfaction on having a shelf with some hard cases on it, I have a shelf with my console games, but I do agree, and just about all my PC games are from steam, or other online sources, But still cases and Manuals are just something gamers cherish, cherish in a weird look at once and then never again, but still cherish, like a dragon that hordes gold. Hell some people are so anal about it they will refuse to buy a game from gamestop when it doesn't have the original case or it's missing the manual.
  • BladedFalcon - May 6, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Good point. I have never used steam though, so please excuse me if what I say right now is ignorant; (because it probably is.) But I had the idea that steam's DRM is pretty much an always online approach to the whole thing? If so, then I still don't like it, although I'd have to applaud Valve for creating a service like that and have your customers actually love and defend it.
  • Bloodstorm - May 6, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Nope, you have to be online to download the game, obviously, but then you can go offline and play to your heart content (unless a publisher has decided their DRM is better and included it int heir digital copy. Then you can't fault Steam).
  • BladedFalcon - May 6, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Ahhhh, gotcha, well, that sounds pretty reasonable then ^^
  • macrm32 - May 8, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Not to mention their insane Steam sales, where prices drop to, sometimes, 75%. I've seen 3-month old games, good games, no less, being sold at around 10-15€. Richard Stallman himself said (paraphrasing): if we are to have drm and closedness on Linux, be it Valve.
  • kingsmikefan - May 6, 2013 12:05 p.m.

The thing about the online pass argument is that the person buying the game used isn't adding to the player count; they're just replacing the person who traded the game in. I wouldn't say AC game don't suffer greatly from annualization; they get more nonsensical and less cohesive witheach iteration. And about that 90% piracy rate: has anybody besides publishers ever given state about the piracy rates? Lastly, multiplayer may not hurt the single player quality, but it costs a lot to uphold servers and implant mp mechanics. Do they equate to that much more sales?
  • avantguardian - May 6, 2013 1:24 p.m.

yeah the online pass thing bothers me. it's weird how people gloss over the fact that the person that sold the game can't play it anymore, they're just being replaced. seems to me like the pass is just a barrier, preventing people from playing, who bought the game used. do they not want these people on their servers? it's an obvious anti-used tactic, and putting that shit on a single player game (a la kingdoms of amalur) is just downright insulting to the consumer. i mean, what does it even exist for? oh right, to make money.
  • Child Of Death - May 6, 2013 12:02 p.m.

"Even Madden changes greatly from year to year, with fantastic changes that can only come through iteration." BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Oh man good one GR, that was perhaps the funniest joke I ever heard.
  • Satchurated - May 6, 2013 12:32 p.m.

So so true. Ffinng madden. Maybe if they had some competition (cough 2k cough cough) they wouldn't be so shitty.
  • garnsr - May 6, 2013 1:58 p.m.

I think Madden does change, they just have to take out systems that work well in order to add a new one, so they can claim they're doing something different. If they just put together all the best parts of Madden games they'd only need to do roster updates for less than $60. I kind of look forward my yearly Assassin's Creed. They're not as good as 2 was, but they're still enjoyable.
  • shawksta - May 6, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Reminder: Madden 13 on Wii and Wii U was Madden 12 literally renamed with.nothing else changed. I agree on assassins, especially the Multiplayer brotherhood introduced
  • StrayGator - May 6, 2013 11:49 a.m.

one thing in common to all the above is that they can be done well or done horribly. Take DRM for example, those who ban Steam for they employment of check-once-in-awhile DRM are extremely rare and are considered luddites by the majority. Meanwhile, ubisoft's 2009-2010 always-online DRM caused an industry-wide uproar. sure, some people will oppose any occurence of something against their their worldviews (aka: zealotry). meanwhile, most of us like to be respected, accept being treated fairly, and hate being pissed upon. at least that's what i'd like to think. I trust the next commenter to prove me wrong.
  • garnsr - May 6, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Why are you putting down golden showers, and the people who like them?
  • Sy87 - May 6, 2013 11:47 a.m.

The online passes I understood from the beginning. Yeah your right all the other stuff make sense. It's just what's so good about fruit ninja?
  • StrayGator - May 6, 2013 11:49 a.m.

that some people enjoy it. c'est tout.
  • Sy87 - May 6, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Yeah, I guess I just have a different mind set. I don't hate them just feel there is not much. Different tastes eh.
  • avery78 - May 6, 2013 11:47 a.m.

I don't understand why people get so upset about casual gaming. It doesn't affect you as a person. If you don't like them, don't play them. I don't play casual games but my wife does. She also plays games like COD, Bioshock, and Dead Island. People should just play what they like and quit Bitchin about the rest.