Topics

Top 7

• db1331 - May 7, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Actually, with the exception of online passes (and maybe a small portion of DLC), everyone should hate everything on this list.
  • SilentDark - May 7, 2013 5:23 a.m.

Piracy is wrong. Punishing legitimate users with draconian DRM that won't even affect the pirates is also wrong. Two wrongs do not make a right. That is all.
  • KA87 - May 7, 2013 5:10 a.m.

While your arguements are valid, DLC and DRM have the potentail to kill gaming as we know and love it and they proably will.
  • euan-davidson - May 7, 2013 2:56 a.m.

I thought that 90% piracy rate thing was BS and taken out of context. It ended up offending the legit PC gamers as a whole for the implication that they were all thieves.
  • bedelicious - May 7, 2013 12:55 a.m.

Here's an example of Multiplayer hurting the rest of the game: ME3 - where you pretty much had to play it if you wanted to get the best ending. The only choice that really mattered was whether you played multi. If you did, you could get away with almost anything, if you didn't - good luck getting satisfaction, you need to play every step by the devs' book. It ruined not only Singleplayer, but also player choice (the supposed point of the game). It was overshadowed though, by the fact that the endings sucked so much xD
  • Bloodstorm - May 7, 2013 4:29 a.m.

It had almost literally no effect on the end game to play the multiplayer. I beat it the first time with out playing multiplayer, then went and played it to get my war assets to 100% (because people claimed you got the preceded ending that way) but I did not see anything change.
  • bedelicious - May 7, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Not playing multiplayer cuts your RR in half. It clearly makes that the most important "choice" you can make to get a better ending and required for the "perfect" ending. It also makes your other choices pretty much irrelevant, because it cuts dramatically the number of assets you need to collect. A.k.a, no matter what you did throughout the game, if you played MP, you're OK. Thus forcing players into MP if they want to make the most out of SP. And making the hard work of people who played through all the games not count. Here, I googled it for you: 4,000 to 4,999 EMS: Shepard can destroy Reapers. Earth survives. If you shot The Illusive Man on time and saved Anderson, Shepard Survived. 5,000 + EMS: Shepard can destroy Reapers. Earth survives. Shepard also survives regardless if you tried to save Anderson or not. (Perfect Ending) Maybe it makes no difference to you, but to a lot of people who invested their time and effort into this game - it does.
  • FOZ - May 7, 2013 10:17 a.m.

None of the endings are any good, so it doesn't even matter. You can pick holes in Mass Effect 1's story for sure, but the story started to come apart with 2 and 3 was a disaster.
  • Bloodstorm - May 7, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Like I said, I did it both way, the ending was exactly identical.
  • Xtrabigasstaco - May 7, 2013 8:41 a.m.

I would completely disagree as I found it added a lot more value to the game but thats just my opinion.
  • avantguardian - May 7, 2013 12:07 a.m.

the week of hate spits and shits on your apologist nonsense. the week of hate would never announce 'it's not that bad'. it IS is that bad. it's the week of fucking hate.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 6, 2013 11:07 p.m.

Also I know that there's a few arguments against number two but I want to throw mine out there as well. Maybe it's because I remember back when most games were original IP's and Nintendo was the only company to continuously make sequels but I believe that the whole "Yearly Sequel" thing is just a fad of the top gaming companies, and it's because this fad of making yearly sequels to popular games is what made them the most money that they continue to keep popping them out left and right. I mean Call of Duty 3 at the time was amazing and the reason I bought a xbox 360 console, and Assassin's Creed was innovative and fun to play, and I continued to support the two when they reached their peaks as Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare and Assassin's Creed 2. But now the yearly sequels is nothing more but stagnation of creativity, and it's showing that all you need is to make the same bland thing over and over. Now Assassin's Creed is a joke and anyone who plays Call of Duty is mocked for not being a real gamer, hell the term "spunk gargle wewe" is ingenious. Regardless though it's not the fans fault that they want a new sequel every year, they have been trained and conditioned to play a game and then buy the next one and so on and so forth. I'm not calling the gaming corporation evil but they have pretty much brainwashed their fans into swallowing whatever garbage they can put together in a year with maybe one or two new ideas before giving it a subtitle like "Black Flag" and throwing it out the door. I'm not hating on these games, I think that the dev's do care somewhat, otherwise they wouldn't have listened to how much the fans liked the sailing in Assassin's Creed 3, but then to go make a new game with nothing but the sailing mechanics from Assassin's Creed 3, that's pushing it. Creativity can be difficult, now a day just about everything is a rip off of something else, and short of using a mad libs collection then sure there's bound to be some trial and error. If anything I like the fact that Ubisoft is using some of the ridiculous amounts of wealth they have accumulated on the Assassin's Creed IP to fund new and innovative games like Watchdogs, but I still don't think it's justifiable. I know that the game's industry like any other industry is a rat race etc... but if you're not effecting the industry in a positive way then isn't it better to burn out bright then to slowly fade away and poison the other companies with bad tactics that albeit make money but still deteriorate the overall quality of anything produced.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 6, 2013 10:41 p.m.

This article is just ..... wrong, I'm glad we have four pages of comments with actual good arguments of why.
  • poderx - May 6, 2013 8:26 p.m.

"Except... gamers have brought this onto themselves." .... Fine, let me remind you, music industry also said that, "music fans have brought this onto themselves", they code-protected their cds, made them hard to be heard (the most sounded case by my places was "The Eminem Show" album)... and pirates still cracked that codes, freeing the music to all the world... And how´s music industry lately?
  • winner2 - May 6, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Coop I laughed harder at your sub-title than I did at anything in the article or comments, you brazen asshole. But for the sake of hate, I will point toward yearly sequels and say FUCK NO. Also, the very last sentence of that slide makes me think you knew full well it's bullshit.
  • BaraChat - May 6, 2013 6:39 p.m.

I strongly disagree with the Yearly sequels argument. From a business standpoint it's a big A+ because they'll sell millions every single year nonetheless. I get that. I get that they have multiple teams working on them as well. But as a gamer who loves to try dozens of different games, different styles, I find it kinda sad that many younger gamers today (I know, I'm a high school teacher) won't even bother to look at a game box unless it's Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed or NHL (I live in Canada). There's the odd one who will try a Borderlands 2 or a Tomb Raider, but overall their range is limited at 10 or 12 titles, and I'm being generous. Obviously it's their choice, their money, and I won't tell anyone what to think or buy. It's their right to buy whatever the hell they want. That's how business works and there's nothing I can do about it. It simply makes me a bit sad for them. But I still maintain that it kills creativity and innovation when 3 or 4 genres or titles completely dominate a market.
  • ncurry2 - May 6, 2013 7:01 p.m.

I came down here to say I disagree with the second point but I'm glad to see that opinion has already been voiced. Thanks
  • robotrigger - May 6, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Agreed. Good to see a fellow gaming educator.
  • king-ofchennai - May 6, 2013 4:58 p.m.

"90% of gamers steal, So let''s fuck the shit up for remaining 10% paying gamers.". Yeah, that's grand!
  • snipes101 - May 6, 2013 5:37 p.m.

Well, yeah - you have to. The bad apples spoil the bunch. I wasn't allowed to chew bubble gum all through freaking high school because some idiot put bubble gum under some of the desks. While most of us knew not to do that, it only took a few bad students to screw it up for the rest of us. The same goes for here, except there are millions and millions of dollars at stake.