Topics

Nintendo Top 7

• CaffieKuriboh - November 12, 2012 9:38 p.m.

I guess the thing I'll remember the most about the Wii are three things: 1) The fun I had playing Brawl with my cousins, nephews, and friends on the weekend. 2) Discovering the game "No More Heroes" and completely falling in love with the series. It's still one of my favs today. XD 3) Playing Wii Bowling with my uncle, we actually got so good at the game that we would average 250-ish to 270-ish per game. It was also fun for my family to get together and enjoy a game everyone can play, even granny. All in all, the Wii may not have been the most popular system, but it sure made me smile every time I sat down (even though I been standing) to play it. Goodbye Wii, you'll always be remembered. XD
  • BladedFalcon - November 12, 2012 10:10 p.m.

"It brought new audiences to games" ...Do you really think that will be something that people will remember fondly? :P
  • ollyn - November 12, 2012 11:48 p.m.

The Wii, as a stand alone console, lacked a lot of genres I really enjoy there are no racing sims, no stealth games, no football (soccer to those in the new world) games, very few decent action titles. It had some great games but most of Nintendo's offerings were similar to that of the cube with added waggle mechanisms, in fact neither zelda (I'll lump Twilight in, although it was a cube title) this gen equalled the brilliance of wind waker and both kind of felt like retreads. Metroid Prime 3 was good but hardly a giant leap over 1 and 2. Mario Kart and Smash Bros also good but given that the wii lacked any considerable power advantage over the cube it was hard to make a case for not just booting up the versions of those games on the cube. Some of the 3rd party games were better like No More Heroes but when you draw that up against the list of top notch 3rd party on the other consoles it just looks sad (even no more heroes went to PS3 so it's not really an exclusive either). The Wii lacked a huge amount of variety (Queue fan boys rage, as they make a case for 360 and PS3s only having FPSs), it had some good Wii Ware games (lost winds) but nothing to rival Journey, Flower or Limbo. I had some fun with my Wii but mine, like many others I would guess, stopped collecting dust and was put in the closet some time ago. I'd be hard pressed to say I had more fun with the Wii than the other consoles sometimes waggle functions felt tacked on calibrating the controller was often a nuisance. For me it lacked anything truly special.
  • wheresmymonkey - November 13, 2012 2:10 a.m.

There are stealth games. The last Tenchu was a wii exclusive and a damn fine game at that. The wii version of PES was different and far more tactical than its hd cousins. Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game of all time IMO. It's what the series always strived to be and told the best story in the series since A link to the past. But if you wanted to play any of the other games in the series you could. Playing the original prime games with tarted up graphics and pointer control was brillinat made the games even better and responsive than the GC, same goes for Oikmin come to think of it. Yes the PS3 got No more heroes But the wii version of it still managed to look better and they never got the sequel. Wiiware is under appreciated in so many ways. Yeah it didn't get limbo but it did get lost winds, world of goo, tales of monkey island, nyx, swords and soldiers, alice in zombieland, and yet it moves and much more besides. More over it had dozens of quality platformers as full blown releases. If you liked Limbo i'd suggesst tracking down Lost In shadow. What else did the wii get. Oh yeah two of the best JRPGs of this generaltion in Xenoblade and The Last Story. It had variety, tons in fact. It had all of the best games from every console generation of the last 25 years thanks to the VC and there huge amount of originality and imagination in its main library is understated in the least. It also had the better capcom vs game, the best silent hill in years and and more besides. Like i've said for years. If you didn't find these games it's your own damn fault for not trying.
  • FierceDeity - November 13, 2012 3:44 a.m.

tru dat. viva la revolution
  • ollyn - November 13, 2012 7:32 a.m.

its just my opinion, sorry if it wasn't more in line with yours. "Like i've said for years. If you didn't find these games it's your own damn fault for not trying." This comment is a load of nonsense, i mean how is it someones fault for not finding a game? The fact is though I found most of the ones you mentioned, i just don't rate them as highly as you seem to.
  • shawksta - November 13, 2012 9:52 a.m.

"The Wii, as a stand alone console..." NOPE, Big Mistake right there, your using it wrong RIGH THERE. Its true that you cant really call yourself a gamer if you only own a Wii, because in a real stand point, thats not how it should be used. Alongside a 360/PS3/Gaming PC is the right way and as stated before, you shouldnt compare it, the Wii isnt a 360/PS3 and shouldnt be compared as so, and as the article states with the First party games aswell as the various 3rd Party game, it stands tall when compared to what thr 360/PS3 have in terms of differnce, which is a very low %9.
  • codystovall - November 13, 2012 4:41 a.m.

Die you wretched console...
  • RedOutlive. - November 13, 2012 5:21 a.m.

The Wii didn't win this console generation. Console sales aren't everything and Nintendo did not get the big franchises like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and so on, while Sony/Microsoft are laughing all the way to the bank with the royalties from all kinds of sucessful IPs. Yes the Wii had very good sales from exclusive titles but the so called multiplatform titles are releasing them more frequently and the cash flow doesn't stop. You think they're releasing the Wii U and actively looking for 3rd party support out of goodwill? The Wii hit the nail on the head in short term with console sales but if the Wii was this amazing money maker there would be no hurry for Nintendo's next home console. It failed the test of time, if you look at the other console manufacturers they are in no rush to release the next gen consoles, there's still money to be made with the 360/PS3 (which can be frustrating to some) and they're the ones competing with the Wii U. Sounds like they are the winners, you can't "defeat" a product that outlasts yours.
  • Relayer71 - November 13, 2012 6:45 p.m.

Console sales aren't anything. But just like Sony & Microsoft did well with their "big franchises", Nintendo did well with their own exclusives. AND unlike Sony & MS, Nintendo actually made money with hardware sales. N also had major success with the DS/DS Lite (much more than the PSP). So in terms of profit, I'm pretty sure Wii DID win this generation.
  • zombi3grim - November 13, 2012 9:48 p.m.

Gamers have always declared the console with the most sales wins the console war. Its much simpler that way. Your meddling and talk of "tests of time" are just getting in the way. I dont even own a Wii and I understand and respect that it won the console war for this generation. Its just something you accept as a gamer.
  • shawksta - November 13, 2012 9:46 a.m.

The biggest mistake everyone tends to do is only look at the Wii at what its not instead of what it is. And Whether people like it or are hard headed farts who cant accept that gaming became bigger because of it, it IS a revolution, but just as the article states, not what we expected.
  • RonnyLive19881 - November 13, 2012 11:29 a.m.

Nintendo won this console generation hands down, as usual Nintendo's first party support was top notch(really at its best if you think about it) but it also got a quite few great rare ambitious titles done by 3rd party developers. Games like Zach and Wiki, Madworld, RE Chronicles and DS Extraction, Little Kings Story, Red Steel 2, A boy and his Blob, No More Heroes, Silent Hill Memories, Endless Ocean(I REALLY hope this franchise makes it to the Wii U), Deadly Creatures, Elebits... the list goes on and on... wouldn't have been possible with out the Wii due to Motion controls and possibly production costs(Some of these dames wouldn't have made it past the first pitch if they were designing them for the more expensive HD consoles, the teams needed to make these games were much smaller than teams needed to HD games making production cost lower). I love the Wii and can't wait for the Wii U. Cheers Nintendo fans! BOO to all the trolls I see here...
  • Timnoldzim - November 13, 2012 4:17 p.m.

RIP, little buddy. May your successor turn out better than it seems like it's going to...
  • jennifer-velez-lugo - November 13, 2012 5:23 p.m.

I love games but the most I can say is that it was the best to play with family and not two players but multiple player...thanx wii
  • Squirrel - November 13, 2012 6:20 p.m.

It's nice to see the actual positive achievements made by the Wii on display. Too often you see hate mongering by naive adolescent gamers, who just can't stand something different existing. And to those hateful gamers I can just say I'm sorry that they missed so many amazing experiences due to their blind ignorance.
  • Squirrel - November 13, 2012 6:32 p.m.

The Wii was a wonderful console which has been criminally underrated by a certain segment of the gaming population. And while it may have angered fanboys of other consoles, it brought so many people together and to gaming as a whole. Some of my favorite gaming moments of all time were made playing Wii. Playing Wii Sports/Play/Resort with friends after having a few was always a great time. Getting my video game hating parents to pick up a controller to simply bowl or play tennis are fond memories I cherish. And the exclusive single player games were fantastic too. Super Mario Galaxy 2 may by the most lovingly crafted game of all time, and I am more than proud to say I accomplished collecting all 241 stars!! I own over 50 games for my Wii and I can safely say not one of them is a bad game (tho Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law comes kinda close lol). And as much as I love my PS3 and the games I play on it, the Wii made me most happy as a gamer this generation. Hears to you Wii: helping people understand the magic of gaming while simultaneously pissing off stupid people everywhere. Congrats!
  • Darkhawk - November 13, 2012 9:27 p.m.

For me, I'll probably most thankful for the fact it finally put a true Star Wars game in my hands. Admittedly, that Star Wars game was Red Steel 2, but nevertheless I cannot underscore enough how amazing it was to finally play a 1:1 motion controlled lightsaber/force push video game. Why Lucasarts can't do it themselves is unfathomable to me.
  • zombi3grim - November 13, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Nintendo will always be big in the minds of gamers. Because they have a huge strong first party line up of great exclusives that tug at the nostalgia strings. For gamers who grew up gaming with the NES and SNES, we know that feeling when we boot up a mario, kirby or zelda title. Its something Microsoft and Sony will never be able to do. Maybe with the kids who were brought up in the ps2, xbox generation. But not with us, the originals. Thats something Nintendo will always have. And its something Im grateful for.
  • AuthorityFigure - November 14, 2012 12:28 a.m.

I loved the RPGs and weirder games like Endless Ocean, Tatsu vs Capcom, Muramasa, Sin & Punishment 2 etc. For the Japanese gaming fan like myself, it was such good fun.