• HeavyTank - November 8, 2011 12:28 a.m.

Great article, but a small reminder: Ruslana won the 2004 Eurovision contest, so she was pretty popular in Europe at that time (we were pretty much forced to listen to that song 24/7 on the radio, ugh)
  • Garrett92 - November 7, 2011 11:54 p.m.

Great article. I half of the music I listen to today is directly related in some way to THPS4. Also to Cheryll, is the band modeled after Sioux and the Banshees?
  • KidKatana - November 8, 2011 2:28 a.m.

Your guess for Cheryll's band makes you look a lot cooler than me, but I stick by mine - I think they're modelled after Aqua. On topic, Radio Broker introduced me to Tom Vek and Get Shakes, so thank you GTA4. Currently WipEout HD is bringing the tunes. Also, there is a character in my recaptcha that can only be described as looking like a rake. Seriously, it's not a letter, it's a garden tool.
  • GamesRadarCheryll - November 8, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Sorry folks, but you're both wrong. My band was modeled after BLAST from a manga called Nana.
  • revrock - November 7, 2011 11:27 p.m.

Great list... It reminded me that I actually bought some CD's after hearing them on EA's NHL games in the 2003-2006 era ( I know one of them was Animal Alpha and maybe Early Man???) Man those games used to have some great music, sometimes right up there with these on the top 7 list. And no, I am not kidding- EA Sports NHL series once had great music!!!
  • revrock - November 7, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Actually the NHL soundtracks are still pretty solid to this day! You can't go wrong with some old school metal (Priest, Scorpions, etc.)
  • V22Dreamcast - November 7, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Wait, one GTA game had an Indian music station? Why didn't I buy a PS2!? And yes, Dum Maro Dum is still a very popular song in India. Great article, GamesRadar.
  • DarkTone - November 7, 2011 10:43 p.m.

Of course GTA won. Solid Top 7.
  • santaclouse37 - November 7, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Bloody brilliant idea for a top 7, and one of the best I've yet to read here. For me it was the Skate games; I've always leaned more towards guitar solos and silly haircuts, but they helped me gain a true appreciation for hip-hop.
  • NanoElite666 - November 7, 2011 10:07 p.m.

Henry wins for posting some old-school In Flames to the article. So does Cheryll for Dream Theater and System of a Down.
  • santaclouse37 - November 7, 2011 10:17 p.m.

^This.
  • Moondoggie1157 - November 8, 2011 8:26 a.m.

Wait, so In Flames is old-school? They formed in 1990...
  • NanoElite666 - November 8, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Material-wise, I consider the band's older, pure melodic death metal stuff to be their "old school" material, before they started changing things up around Reroute to Remain. Seeing as how The Jester Race is largely considered one of the seminal albums of the melodic death metal sub-genre, I find it more than appropriate to refer to anything from around that period as being their "old-school" material.
  • AshLynx - November 7, 2011 9:58 p.m.

Oho, yes! I loved Amplitude and got Frequency afterwards myself. I don't play Amplitude as much as I'd like to though because it's broken the rumble on more controllers than I care to mention. No idea why, but it's definitely Amplitude's fault, which is a shame since I love the game so much! Glad to see it mentioned here.
  • NeoMosko - November 7, 2011 9:22 p.m.

"whether it’s Cuban dance music" Maybe you are referring to Reguetón (Reggaeton, ask Wikipedia), and is Puerto Rican. Man, couldn't believe myself when I heard those songs on GTA 4.
  • CommanderCrunch - November 7, 2011 9:11 p.m.

I wouldn't consider anything in fallout 3 to be rock/classic rock. That there is good old fashioned jazz
  • BackwaterRifle - November 7, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Fallout has broaden my musical horizons.
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - November 7, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Brutal Legend totally took my by surprise by how much I'd love the music. When I played the game, I felt I understood why some of my friends are such metal heads. To me, Brutal Legend was the visual incarnation of all things metal, albeit with a bit of comedic flair. After that game, I went and downloaded a ton of metal albums and asked my friends to hook me up with their faves. I was not dissapointed
  • ObliqueZombie - November 7, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Okay, so, TWICE NOW I've pressed the Next and Previous Page buttons while thinking I've copied the paragraphs I've typed up, so HERE IT GOES, ONE LAST TIME. In a nutshell: Michael, Tony Hawk Pro Skater brings more than nostalgia when I hear that music. I've spent hours--HOURS--picking my soundtracks while skating as Darth Maul. Cheryll... System of a Down? Dream Theater? Beautiful choices. Absolutely beautiful choices. Henry, welcome to metal. Welcome to one of the most talented genres of our age. I may not listen to "heavy metal," but most metal of all kinds--from Metalcore to Deathcore to Death Metal to Prog Metal and now Djent--has been a love of mine since I was wee child. Holland and Charlie, both of the games you mentioned (Fallout and BioShock, respectively) have made me not only appreciate early 20th music, but LOVE it. It's actually some of my favorite music to listen to, no matter what time of the day. This is one of the best top 7's you've ever done.
  • Yaro - November 7, 2011 8:45 p.m.

I will never forget Radio Espantosto from Vice City...and Eumir Deodato - Super Strut.