Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• daniel-reyes - January 13, 2014 7:29 p.m.

I hope the one of Majora's Mask is not true, I just don't like the idea, and the one of Nintendo beign in the same universe mmm I wouldn't actually like that either since games like Metroid seem no to fit something like a Mario or Kirby universe. Still at least Donkey Kong and Mario seem to be in the same universe.
  • Petertwnsnd - January 13, 2014 11:08 p.m.

It's funny you say Metroid wouldn't fit in with the Mario or Kirby universe because Samus has appeared in both. Mario meets both Link and Samus in Super Mario RPG and Kirby meets Samus in Kirby's Dream Land 3.
  • Beatty003 - January 13, 2014 6:41 p.m.

What about the game "Contrast"? The ending was so ambiguous that It makes me wonder if Didi and Dawn are the same person.
  • scotchtape27 - January 13, 2014 5:45 p.m.

With Kingdom Hearts, Sora and Roxas can dual wield because of Ventus, not Xion. At the end of BBS Ventus's heart becomes a part of Sora which is how he gets the ability.
  • theguyinthecloset - January 13, 2014 5:36 p.m.

Mass Effect: Blue = good and red = bad. That is completeley false. Shepard is always "Good". The difference between paragon and renegade is Lawfull and chaotic. Shepard always looks out for the greater good but s/he can do it lawfully and with minimum death or take "all it takes" aproach and mow down everyone in his path. Complete destruction of the enemy is red and make the Enemy understand your plight and stop the fight is blue, as it should. (you might argue the Green End should have been blue and vice versa, but I can see how rewriting everyone could be seen as less lawfull)
  • gadjo - January 13, 2014 10:53 p.m.

Actually, I think that makes the case for the indoctrination theory even better. Think about it: Reapers represent the ultimate order; controlling the galaxy's development each cycle. While destroying the reapers represents the ultimate chaotic action: destroying what is, in that universe, the highest authority. Chaotic does not mean bad. I think this works out pretty well, since that would mean that a shep very concerned with order and peaceful solutions is easier to indoctrinate, while a chaotic shep concerned with his goal above all else would be very difficult to mold like that. Also, that way it makes sense of the very last scene which only takes place if you get the destroy ending: shep waking up after the harbinger blast, unindoctrinated.
  • theguyinthecloset - January 14, 2014 12:25 a.m.

"Chaotic does not mean bad." Heu... that was my point, yes, the article said red = bad, I was corecting that. Ending a war with peace (blue) VS ending a war in the explotion of the enemy race (red). It's pretty black and white. Renegade shep wants to blow up the enemy. Paragon shep wants the less death and destruction possible while securing peace. I wasn't giving my opinion etheir way about the indoctrination theory, just saying what the article said ("We also know that blue is good and red is bad") was wrong. My opinion on the matter is that he wasn't indoctrinated and this interpretation of indoctrination is cleary contradictatory with the games. Indoctrination doesn't make you see allucinations or warps what you see in front of your eyes or hear with your ears. It simply makes you agree with the reapers, make you understand the reapers logic (because, yes, they have one) and forces to accept it. The visions and voices aren't allucinations, they are the reaper talking and showing you things telepaticaly.
  • gadjo - January 14, 2014 11:18 a.m.

Well, yeah I can agree that the article was wrong. I was just trying to get across why I enjoy the theory: It makes just enough sense to be plausible, and fixes (somewhat) an ending that I was sorely disappointed by. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will find reasons for the indoctrination theory because I'll do anything to make the end of that otherwise great game make sense.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 14, 2014 6:24 p.m.

I would argue that, even though he's always fighting against the reapers, renegade Shepard is on the bad side... I remember Zaeed's mission in ME2 in particular, where if you go after the guy he's chasing, you leave an entire group of civilians behind to die. I would not call that good, or say that their sacrifice was worth it.
  • theguyinthecloset - January 14, 2014 9:10 p.m.

But that's the renegade path, just as I said before, where Shep does whatever it takes to accomplish the mission. That doesn't make it bad, he is just willing to cast asside anything necessary to acomplish his goal. Also he did this to ensure Zaeed's loyal and accertain his chances of accomplishing the suicide mission. Also that is one rare instance where the renegade path is really questionable out of hundreds of missions.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - January 13, 2014 4:49 p.m.

i don't see how majora's mask and the fused shadow look similar
  • CitizenWolfie - January 13, 2014 4:14 p.m.

I always thought the Chell/Cave/Caroline connection was canon. Alliteration, bitches. I like the Majora/Twili theory although I'm sticking with my own speculative and totally unfounded theory. The Nintendo-verse IS all connected. That's why they all share volcanoes and mountains and icy poles and deserts. And also why the toads happened to find Link's warp whistle. My favourite theory right now is that Link in Majora's Mask was dead the whole time and Termina is his Limbo. That and the idea that ALL game worlds are connected, albeit in a Bioshock Infinite sort of way
  • talleyXIV - January 15, 2014 4:33 p.m.

I love the theory about Link being dead. The one version I remember is that he becomes a stalfos and that is the one that teaches you in Twilight Princess.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 13, 2014 3:41 p.m.

The indoctrination theory is by far my favorite.
  • gadjo - January 13, 2014 10:54 p.m.

It's the only reason I play the game anymore. Without that theory, the whole damn game just feels pointless to me because of the ending.
  • slimjim441 - January 14, 2014 11:52 p.m.

It should. The indoctrination theory is entirely unsound and has even been officially labelled as false by Drew Karpyshyn, one of Mass Effect's main writers (as well as the biggest contributor to all the lore). As sad as it is to admit, the ending to ME3 blows and no Extended Cut could ever hope to fully redeem it. The best we can hope for now is that whenever the next ME title comes around, they scrap all three endings and give the players what they wanted to happen in the first place. I mean think about it, everyone wants to see what will happen after the events of ME3, but it would literally take 3 parallel games to coincide with players' various choices, as lackluster as they were. It's just not practical. BioWare done shot themselves in the foot; there's no getting around it.
  • KnightDehumidifier - January 13, 2014 3:06 p.m.

It has been brought up a number of times on GamesRadar, but not even any of the Pokémon theories? Dittos are clones of Mew? Gary's Raticate? Giovanni is the father? The mysterious great war that Lt. Surge served?
  • GOD - January 13, 2014 9:14 p.m.

Totally forgot about the theory for the Lt. Surge backstory! I'd love to see Pokemon Weekly on that.
  • derpinainreallife - January 21, 2014 11:32 p.m.

There's an article of just Pokemon theories linked on the intro slide.
  • SnakeinmyBoot - January 13, 2014 2:51 p.m.

There is a Brawl on the Family web comic out there that has scenes of Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom running and jumping in warp pipes, with panels of Samus running past the geemers? on the ground and the flying creatures coming out of pipes. It outright states that Zebes is the future of the Mushroom Kingdom and has a rather chilling feel to it. It just makes Metroid even more sinisterly enjoyable. Here's a linky: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2013/05/24/490-the-truth-about-zebes/ The thing about Majora's Mask makes even more sense except they had to have made it before being banished and the Happy Mask Salesman some how get it before it caused any major devastation like in the game. The Zelda series also has so many similar redundant races and alternate worlds that a prequel could have Majora's making an appearance before being sealed away for the HMS to find it and its creators are a new tribe of shadow creatures that look like a less freaky Majora made just for that game. And Majora's forms didn't have enough Tron Lines like Twili stuff does. You gotta trust the Tron Lines.
  • Divine Paladin - January 13, 2014 3:30 p.m.

A friend and I developed a lengthy theory (unrelated to this one) that Majora was a fourth goddess that got banished to a new realm made to house her and sealed in a mask, and that she was able to create a hatred by the Terminians against the goddesses using her pawn/new form Demise, in the name of masculinity. These Terminians were eventually banished themselves into the Twilight Realm. The theory was a lot more in depth, naturally, but it filled most holes involving MM (except the Salesman). The basis was heavily derived off of another theory about the Stone Tower being the key to the game's lore.