Topics

Top 7

• ultimatepunchrod - January 14, 2014 5:05 p.m.

Even though I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan, the creepy theory that Squall is dead for most of FF 8 really had me interested. I believe I first heard of that one in one of GR's other Top 7s.
  • GOD - January 13, 2014 9:11 p.m.

#7 Yeah no that doesn't work because Riku can also dual wield. Sorry. #6 While the description for each mask is similar, they clearly aren't describing the same mask because both exist and are pretty different. That means that if they were both made by the same group (the Twili) then it would mean that they made an cursed mask, were banished for it, somehow redeemed themselves, made another cursed mask, and were banished again. If you go to the Zelda wiki there are some more plausible theories for the origin of Majora's Mask. Did you forget that A Link Between Worlds just came out? #4 I'm sorry but that theory is wishful thinking. They like to put in rewarding easter egss across unrelated games under the Nintendo umbrella, but this is not the same thing as a story tie like finding a similar item in a Zelda game. #3 I thought this was pretty clearly outlined in the game? Portal is all about telling a story without actually explicitly letting you know anything. Chell being Caroline's daughter seemed pretty evident if you tried to follow all the writing between the lines. #1 It is called Limbo after all. Limbo is not just the place between Heaven and Hell, but also sometimes considered the edge of hell and I think that matches your journey through Limbo pretty well.
  • Arobadope - January 14, 2014 5:43 a.m.

Just because Riku can also dual wield doesn't mean Xion isn't the reason as to why Sora and Roxas can dual wield. I don't really believe in the theory but your reason for debunking it is flawed.
  • daniel-reyes - January 13, 2014 7:29 p.m.

I hope the one of Majora's Mask is not true, I just don't like the idea, and the one of Nintendo beign in the same universe mmm I wouldn't actually like that either since games like Metroid seem no to fit something like a Mario or Kirby universe. Still at least Donkey Kong and Mario seem to be in the same universe.
  • Petertwnsnd - January 13, 2014 11:08 p.m.

It's funny you say Metroid wouldn't fit in with the Mario or Kirby universe because Samus has appeared in both. Mario meets both Link and Samus in Super Mario RPG and Kirby meets Samus in Kirby's Dream Land 3.
  • Beatty003 - January 13, 2014 6:41 p.m.

What about the game "Contrast"? The ending was so ambiguous that It makes me wonder if Didi and Dawn are the same person.
  • scotchtape27 - January 13, 2014 5:45 p.m.

With Kingdom Hearts, Sora and Roxas can dual wield because of Ventus, not Xion. At the end of BBS Ventus's heart becomes a part of Sora which is how he gets the ability.
  • theguyinthecloset - January 13, 2014 5:36 p.m.

Mass Effect: Blue = good and red = bad. That is completeley false. Shepard is always "Good". The difference between paragon and renegade is Lawfull and chaotic. Shepard always looks out for the greater good but s/he can do it lawfully and with minimum death or take "all it takes" aproach and mow down everyone in his path. Complete destruction of the enemy is red and make the Enemy understand your plight and stop the fight is blue, as it should. (you might argue the Green End should have been blue and vice versa, but I can see how rewriting everyone could be seen as less lawfull)
  • gadjo - January 13, 2014 10:53 p.m.

Actually, I think that makes the case for the indoctrination theory even better. Think about it: Reapers represent the ultimate order; controlling the galaxy's development each cycle. While destroying the reapers represents the ultimate chaotic action: destroying what is, in that universe, the highest authority. Chaotic does not mean bad. I think this works out pretty well, since that would mean that a shep very concerned with order and peaceful solutions is easier to indoctrinate, while a chaotic shep concerned with his goal above all else would be very difficult to mold like that. Also, that way it makes sense of the very last scene which only takes place if you get the destroy ending: shep waking up after the harbinger blast, unindoctrinated.
  • theguyinthecloset - January 14, 2014 12:25 a.m.

"Chaotic does not mean bad." Heu... that was my point, yes, the article said red = bad, I was corecting that. Ending a war with peace (blue) VS ending a war in the explotion of the enemy race (red). It's pretty black and white. Renegade shep wants to blow up the enemy. Paragon shep wants the less death and destruction possible while securing peace. I wasn't giving my opinion etheir way about the indoctrination theory, just saying what the article said ("We also know that blue is good and red is bad") was wrong. My opinion on the matter is that he wasn't indoctrinated and this interpretation of indoctrination is cleary contradictatory with the games. Indoctrination doesn't make you see allucinations or warps what you see in front of your eyes or hear with your ears. It simply makes you agree with the reapers, make you understand the reapers logic (because, yes, they have one) and forces to accept it. The visions and voices aren't allucinations, they are the reaper talking and showing you things telepaticaly.
  • gadjo - January 14, 2014 11:18 a.m.

Well, yeah I can agree that the article was wrong. I was just trying to get across why I enjoy the theory: It makes just enough sense to be plausible, and fixes (somewhat) an ending that I was sorely disappointed by. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will find reasons for the indoctrination theory because I'll do anything to make the end of that otherwise great game make sense.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 14, 2014 6:24 p.m.

I would argue that, even though he's always fighting against the reapers, renegade Shepard is on the bad side... I remember Zaeed's mission in ME2 in particular, where if you go after the guy he's chasing, you leave an entire group of civilians behind to die. I would not call that good, or say that their sacrifice was worth it.
  • theguyinthecloset - January 14, 2014 9:10 p.m.

But that's the renegade path, just as I said before, where Shep does whatever it takes to accomplish the mission. That doesn't make it bad, he is just willing to cast asside anything necessary to acomplish his goal. Also he did this to ensure Zaeed's loyal and accertain his chances of accomplishing the suicide mission. Also that is one rare instance where the renegade path is really questionable out of hundreds of missions.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - January 13, 2014 4:49 p.m.

i don't see how majora's mask and the fused shadow look similar
  • CitizenWolfie - January 13, 2014 4:14 p.m.

I always thought the Chell/Cave/Caroline connection was canon. Alliteration, bitches. I like the Majora/Twili theory although I'm sticking with my own speculative and totally unfounded theory. The Nintendo-verse IS all connected. That's why they all share volcanoes and mountains and icy poles and deserts. And also why the toads happened to find Link's warp whistle. My favourite theory right now is that Link in Majora's Mask was dead the whole time and Termina is his Limbo. That and the idea that ALL game worlds are connected, albeit in a Bioshock Infinite sort of way
  • talleyXIV - January 15, 2014 4:33 p.m.

I love the theory about Link being dead. The one version I remember is that he becomes a stalfos and that is the one that teaches you in Twilight Princess.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 13, 2014 3:41 p.m.

The indoctrination theory is by far my favorite.
  • gadjo - January 13, 2014 10:54 p.m.

It's the only reason I play the game anymore. Without that theory, the whole damn game just feels pointless to me because of the ending.
  • slimjim441 - January 14, 2014 11:52 p.m.

It should. The indoctrination theory is entirely unsound and has even been officially labelled as false by Drew Karpyshyn, one of Mass Effect's main writers (as well as the biggest contributor to all the lore). As sad as it is to admit, the ending to ME3 blows and no Extended Cut could ever hope to fully redeem it. The best we can hope for now is that whenever the next ME title comes around, they scrap all three endings and give the players what they wanted to happen in the first place. I mean think about it, everyone wants to see what will happen after the events of ME3, but it would literally take 3 parallel games to coincide with players' various choices, as lackluster as they were. It's just not practical. BioWare done shot themselves in the foot; there's no getting around it.
  • DonNerdleone - July 29, 2014 1:16 p.m.

IIRC Drew Karpyshyn didn't have anything to do with writing ME:3. He was the lead writer of the first game, a co-writer for the second, and absent for the third installment. For this reason, I've always considered ME:3 to be an "expanded universe" of sorts. A book without it's main author. And not to be "that guy", but would you happen to have a source for DK discrediting the indoctrination hypothesis? I seem to remember Mac Walters dismissively addressing it at a panel, but I don't remember DK ever attempting to invalidate it.