Topics

Top 7

• shawksta - November 4, 2013 2:15 p.m.

Awesome list and pretty much nails it Dave. Top one especially was fantastic on all sides, PS2 was reigning supreme with massive third party, Xbox started great especially with Halo, and the Gamecube 's exclusives were one of Nintendo's great moments, and hopefully the Wii U can atleast match that legacy of games, as it's clear it will never be what the Wii was.
  • Syracuse - November 4, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Nailed it. I don't think I would have ordered it any differently, and the 6th generation really did have many of the best games that are thoroughly remembered.
  • MrJechgo - November 4, 2013 12:22 p.m.

I'd swap 2 and 1, because I believe the SNES and Genesis were part of the real Golden Age of Video Gmes.
  • freeden - November 4, 2013 11:56 a.m.

I've still got to hand it to the 5th generation. The era of N64 and Playstation is still the only time I can really remember when there was more gold than garbage. Certainly the 6th and 7th have been great, but as these generations went on, I continually found myself less and less interested in the games coming out. Not to say I haven't enjoyed numerous games, but with the 5th gen, especially the Playstation, there were more games than I could count that were great. It seemed to me that almost every week there was a game coming out that was worth playing. Even the 64 continually seemed to have great releases. And then there are the handhelds. Probably my fave gen of gaming, followed by the 4th gen.
  • Pruman - November 4, 2013 11:44 a.m.

LOL, I remember paying $80 for my copy of Final Fantasy III and $70 for EarthBound and its stupidly huge box with the player's guide. Both were worth every penny. Also, as beloved and treasured as the 16-bit era is to me, I'll agree with your #1 choice for one reason: Metroid Prime. It brought the series into 3D with just as much panache and style as Mario 64 and Ocarina, and the first 15 minutes were enough to silence every wannabe game designer on the Internet who decried turning Metroid into a first-person shooter. Finally, can we include the Game Boy Advance with the #1 choice? The reason I eventually ponied up for a DS, then a DS Lite, and finally a 3DS is solely due to that system's killer library.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 4, 2013 11:42 a.m.

I'm surprised 3rd placed so low given how important it was to the history of gaming [without NES, console gaming may have been declared a 'fad that ran its course'], but otherwise what could've been an incredibly cheeky list turned out to be quite good.
  • Cyberninja - November 4, 2013 11:37 a.m.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly .
  • BladedFalcon - November 4, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Excellent list Mr. Hougton! I think I agree with the exact order of placement in this list :D The fourth and Sixth generations are easily the bes tin console gaming for me. And despite all the hiccups we've seen with DLC and DRM crap, this generation is still definitely better than the NES and N64/PS days.
  • StrayGator - November 4, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Nest week: Top 7 Snow White Dwarfs.
  • wwinter86 - November 4, 2013 11:16 a.m.

The GameCube and Dreamcast are by far the best looking consoles so far.
  • Rhymenocerous - November 4, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Yeah, my PS2 really got some hammer back in the day. Or should I say PS2s, since I went through four... The old "Disc Read Error" was the bane of my life from 2001 to 2007.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 4, 2013 11:44 a.m.

It got to the point to where I learned how to open them up and recalibrate the lasers. I don't remember the exact ohm ratings anymore, but at my peak I could take the system apart, clean it, recalibrate the laser, and have it all back together in less than 30min. If it was just a cleaning, less than 20min.
  • DarthPunk - November 4, 2013 10:52 a.m.

I'd agree with the pick of no. 1 also quite pleased that you didn't put on the nostalgia goggles and place the NES higher becuase seriously it's not a period of gaming that's aged well
  • JMarsella09 - November 4, 2013 10:45 a.m.

The 6th generation was so great. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Persona 3 and 4, MGS2, 3, and Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 4 and the amazing REmake, Jet set Radio, Jak and Daxter, Rachet and Clank, Okami, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Halo 1 and 2, God of War 1 and 2, Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, Super Mario Sunshine, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, Shenmue, Jedi Outcast, Devil May Cry, Fatal Frame, Sly Cooper, Skies of Arcadia, Battlefront, Beyond Good and Evil... the list goes on and on.
  • Swedish_Chef - November 4, 2013 8:53 p.m.

I request the highest of fives. 6th generation is one of the few gens when pretty much every system had a lot going for it, the Dreamcast was far ahead of it's time and had a huge amount of quality titles despite it's incredibly short lifespan, the PS2 was cheap, had a lot of amazing exclusives and lasted for an incredible ammount of time, the GameCube had some amazing 1st party exclusives and third party exclusives (especially from Capcom with REmake, Viewtiful Joe and RE4, although the latter would eventually make it to other systems) and the Xbox while it didn't have as much exclusives as the other two (although it did have quite a few standouts with Halo 1/2, Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Forza, Project Gotham racing etc) along with generally the best version of multiplatform titles sans PC (see Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for an extreme example of this) along with a few games that were ported to Xbox from PC but not other systems (Half-Life 2, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay).
  • JMarsella09 - November 4, 2013 9:47 p.m.

High five delivered. I totally forgot about Panzer Dragoon. That game's great.
  • supaMcnugget - November 5, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Oh yeah. Pretty much everything you mention I played. However, I didn't play Beyond Good and Evil until it was released as a HD remake on the PSN store. Man, that game was great!