Topics

Best of GR

We Recommend

• Rub3z - May 12, 2013 3:01 a.m.

This is a terrific list. Ganon deserves the number one. I mean seriously, I will never forget the final, cathartic moment he was defeated in Twilight Princess... he's so badass that when he's finally run right through with a sword, he calmly stands there and utters his last words before he bows his head to die... AND CONTINUES TO STAND. HE DIES STANDING UP. He seriously just lowers his eyes and chin towards the floor, as if he's nodding off to take a nap. His last gesture is as if he's politely bowing his way out of this life, respectfully lowering his head to the man who defeated him. Even following his quiet passing, the camera pans out for a beautiful shot of his figure standing there beside Link and Zelda, the wind on the plain gently billowing his robes, the silhouette of the hilt and end of the large sword visibly protruding from his chest and back. It's as if he's going to stand there for an eternity, with no amount of natural forces swaying his immense figure... like an immovable stone. It's as if the next Hero of Time, ages in the future, is going to withdraw the Master Sword from from what simply appears to be a featureless rock, or some carved pedestal, unbeknownst to him that it's the former body of the greatest force of evil in the world, petrified around the sword. Wait a minute... is that the case? The same sort of thing happens at the end of Wind Waker, when Link drives the Sword through Ganon's face... he doesn't ever remove it, does he? What becomes of Ganon's stone body? Is it left there to act as the pedestal from which the next Hero will draw the sword to repeat this cycle over again? Holy shit...
  • Fox_Mulder - May 12, 2013 5:48 a.m.

Yeah, I don't know, because WW and TP take place in two different timelines, but that's a very good question though, something I never thought about. Maybe the sages retrieve the Master Sword? Great retelling of that final battle BTW. I mean if you think about it Ganon is the most badass villain. He comes back, time and time again, over thousands of years, hundreds of generations, to bring darkness to the world. It doesn't matter if he's sometimes defeated by a kid, that says more about the kid's lineage, than the kid himself.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - May 13, 2013 12:55 p.m.

I hope that when I die, I do so standing up. So boss.
  • Rub3z - May 13, 2013 2:28 p.m.

I actually have a similar hope that when I die, I do so mid-stride while on a morning run or something. I imagine my heart just collapsing in on itself and I'm dead before I hit the dirt, the last thought going through my head as I see the ground rushing up to meet me not some faint memory of the past, but only about the next step... and the next, and the next and the next and the next. Also, the #1 on this list is a very fitting counterpart to your greatest heroes list, as I seem to remember Link holding the top spot there. I actually find that I couldn't agree more with both decisions, was that intentional? Or as you guys went through your list whittling down candidates for the top spots, did you guys just realize he was the clear choice? It's quite fitting that the greatest hero... take on the greatest villain, no? I mean, Jesus... just the sheer amount of eons through which he struggles to come back every time to ruin everything is a testament to how much of a grudge he can harbor. I'm fairly certain that's the kind grudge that coaxes mountains to move a bit faster to not keep him waiting so long, and as you guys said, it's the kind of grudge that an apocalyptic flood can merely DELAY... not even contain. That's dedication to top-of-the-line villainy, right there.
  • Darkmessiah24 - May 12, 2013 2:24 a.m.

Pretty good list but I find the lack of Vamp from MGS on the list disturbing.
  • g1rldraco7 - May 11, 2013 6:07 p.m.

The Locust Queen needs to be this on the list since she's killed more people and ruined more lives than WOW.
  • Guardian88 - May 11, 2013 5:12 p.m.

I gotta say, great list.
  • Shadow Of Death - May 11, 2013 4:14 p.m.

Pleasantly surprised to see Vyers (Disgaea) on the list. SPOILER ALERT (for a decade old game); He's not evil or particularly villainous. In fact, by demon standards he's a pretty good guy. Pretty much confirmed that he's the reincarnation of Laharl's father, and he tries to guide his son on a good path (be a good, fair king of demons). Haha, I didn't expect to see the Yeti of Ski-free on the list, but yeah, he was an asshole XD
  • Bodacious - May 11, 2013 3:48 p.m.

I’ve been gaming my entire life. I have 20 different gaming platforms not counting my computer. I've encountered a vast majority of the villains on this list. I laughed out loud when I saw Yeti from skifree in there. That being said, I'd change a few things. For starters, I grew up watching star wars and reading batman comics. I don't think the Joker or Vader belong on here. I am glad we agree on Ganon as 1. Bowser should be 2. I read a few comments arguing he’s a bit of a joke (maybe they think that Wiley falls in that category, too), but I would disagree. Bowser has reaped havoc in over 30 games. I challenge you to find someone who can kidnap a princess as good as he can. I LOVE GLaDOS. I love her and I totally think she should be in the top 10, but 3? Wiley should beat her. I played WOW for years. The Lich King is great, but shouldn’t be in the top 5. Like Ganon and Bowser, some bad guys span over several games, establishing them as a super villain or an arch nemesis. Dr. Wiley and Eggman both fall in that category (side note: Wiley > Eggman) and should definitely rank in the top 10, certainly above LeChuck from Monkey Island. I would put Wesker in the top 10, too. And finally, I think that arguably Final Fantasy VI is the best FF game, but I disagree with Kefka being higher on the list than Sepheroth. Sepheroth is known even by people who aren’t Final Fantasy fans. He’s epic. He is the better bad guy. As for characters missing, I totally agree with some of the suggestions I've read in these comments. These are some of the additions I would make to the list. - Nemesis belongs on here. - Liquid or Solidus Snake from the MGS series. I completely agree with the Ocelot choice. Honestly he should be in the top 5, but I could argue a pace in the 100 for these guys. - Either Raam or the Locust Queen from the Gears of War series. Raam impaling Minh in the first game is unforgettable. Fans loved him so much we got a campaign DLC in which he starred in Gears of War 3. - Krelian, Stone, or Shakhan from Xenogears. Xenogears has some excellent villains in it. I would suggest to anyone who hasn't played the game and is able to get a copy of it to do so ands give it a try. - King Hippo from Punch-out! He might not have a place on the list, but what a great character design. He isn't the hardest opponent in the game but he is the most memorable. - Giovanni from the Pokemon Series deserves a spot on here. Sending Team Rocket out to double trouble all over the world. This guy is bad news in a huge gaming franchise. - And last and maybe least, the Eggplant Wizard from Kid Icarus. Growing up I was the only one of my friends with this game, but I played the hell out of it. I used to have nightmares about being turned into an eggplant. I still don't eat eggplant.
  • Staadsyboy - May 11, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Those aren't in ranking order though, just spoiler order
  • Staadsyboy - May 11, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Every game listed after 4 have secret villains, so if you haven't played the games or haven't finished them, don't read them. 1. Conker's Bad Fur Day: Professor Von Kriplespac. 2. Bioshock: Frank Fontaine. 3. The Binding of Isaac: Mom. 4. Fable II,III, and pre-Fable II actions: Reaver. 5.Braid: Tim. 6. Hotline Miami: You (kinda). 7. Just about everyone in Dishonored (but probably Vera Moray, Hiram Burrows, or Farley Havelock). 8. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward: Brother. 9. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors: Ace (Gentarou Hongou) (or to put 8 and 9 together, Zero from both games). 10. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies: Corvus.
  • PatHan-bHai - May 11, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Nemesis from RE3 Dr. Neo Cortex (or was it Cornelius?) from the Crash Bandicoot series Aku from Samurai Jack.........fucking asshole would never die...."I'll be back!" "We'll meet again!".......evil mud-fuck........
  • Ohmama - May 11, 2013 12:03 p.m.

I believe the worst person I have ever met in a video game is Dahlia Hawthorne, from Ace Attorney 3. She hides her foulness behind innocent looks, fools everyone (including Phoenix Wright himself) and goes huge lengths to achieve revenge. Plus, the last time we ever get to see her, she is very, very, very scary (like "Ben drowned" scary).
  • steveo4183 - May 11, 2013 10:08 a.m.

List sorely needs Albel and/or Dmitri Yuriev from Xenosaga
  • avantguardian - May 11, 2013 11:05 p.m.

i almost put albedo, and his gaggle of creepy little robot girls, but sort of assumed (hopefully incorrectly) that no one would really know who he was. simeon was my favorite mech in the series
  • steveo4183 - May 12, 2013 5:13 a.m.

He was pretty twisted, and absolutely deserving of a spot on this list. I'm partial to Margulis's mech myself...think it was the Levi? Yuriev also needs a spot on here...I mean how many other villains can say their motivation was being terrified at seeing the face of God and therefore hellbent on destroying it?
  • steveo4183 - May 12, 2013 5:08 a.m.

Derp moment, not Albel, Albedo
  • winner2 - May 11, 2013 9:42 a.m.

How about Flemeth? She raises daughters just to consume them to live forever. Also, magusar from soul sacrifice. Spoiler: when he goes full blown evil monster, he rules the world and keeps prisoners as sacrifices for dinner so he lives forever.
  • avantguardian - May 11, 2013 11:09 p.m.

if people didn't have so much disdain for DA2, i could see flemeth maybe cracking it. that fight against her in the first game was pretty damn epic.
  • Mstrcolm - May 11, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Its probably cliche in discussions like these but its got to be Sephiroth for me
  • LordZarlon - May 11, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Honestly Arcturus Mengsk from StarCraft is the real villain of the StarCraft universe.