Topics

Best of GR

• sephex - May 18, 2013 6:05 a.m.

since when is The Boss a villain?
  • Camberf - May 18, 2013 8:06 p.m.

Since always. Villains can be just as varied as heroes in their personalities and drives. Caius and her can be considered "Anti-Villains", but villains all the same.
  • winner2 - May 17, 2013 9:01 p.m.

I'm glad Ghetsis got on here. The other team leaders were bad but he made it feel more personal than Pokemon had ever felt.
  • J-Fid - May 17, 2013 6:55 p.m.

All Right! We got Ghetsis on the list! Good work everyone!
  • KA87 - May 17, 2013 1:32 p.m.

No Slender. Kind of sad that the greatest troll ever did not make it.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - May 17, 2013 2:09 p.m.

Slender nearly made it, but we held it against him that he'd first appeared outside of games. It didn't immediately disqualify him, but it held him back.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Eh, not really convinced by any of the added entries aside from Dahlia, she definitely deserves to be in the list. The rest feel more like popular demand rather than being genuinely good, menacing or memorable villains.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 12:20 p.m.

Specially because... The Boss wasn't even a villain, why the hell is she in this list? Seriously, you guys even say it yourself in the entry, she wasn't evil, and what she did was for the country she loved, even when said country abandoned HER. At best, she's a tragic hero, NOT a villain.
  • N7Spartan95 - May 17, 2013 2:23 p.m.

No disrespect, but have you considered that these guys got voted into the list BECAUSE they were memorable and intimidating in the eyes of those who voted for them? They're in because they're popular enough, and they're popular for those reasons. Surely the Reapers, who were responsible for the systematic genocide of galactic civilization every 50,000 years for at least a billion years, are deserving of a spot on the list? Say whatever you want about the Catalyst, but Sovereign and Harbinger certainly took hold of fans' imaginations. Hell, it ticks me off that all these entries were stuck at the end of the list instead of being spread throughout it, as it puts them all behind Mario, WHO IS NOT EVEN A VILLAIN!
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Mario is most definitely a villain, at least in the game he's chosen for, which is DK2. And yeah, even then, I suppose he doesn't belong to the list. A for the reapers themselves though... eh, the concept of what the reapers were and signify is much cooler than them as actual villains as far as the game is concerned. Sovereign worked more as a surprise reveal rather than a villain because he didn't really do that much himself except show how powerful the reapers are supposed to be. Then you get Harbringer who, sure, sounds menacing, but doesn't really have that much of a personality aside from that. Not to mention that he gets completely forgotten about for the entirety of ME3. Again, I love the idea of the reapers, but they themselves as villains don't really do or amount as much aside from being plot devices rather than actual characters.
  • N7Spartan95 - May 17, 2013 3:45 p.m.

I still say the Reapers deserve to be on the list, but yeah, I see what you're getting at. Sovereign was, however, responsible for indoctrinating Saren, persuading the heretic geth to follow it and worship the Reapers, and attacking the Citadel in a bid to bring forth the next harvest. Plus, you have to admit it knew how to talk trash: "We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it." What about Saren, though? I thought he was a better villain than the Illusive Man was, to be honest. I wrote a lengthy post saying why I thought he deserves a spot. Why do you disagree with him?
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 3:57 p.m.

I guess my main problem with Saren was again, a lack of personality. I suppose that when it boils down to it, that's the main reason I think The Illusive Man is a Better villian than Saren and/or the reapers. Both are menacing, yes, both are badasses, but growling and making threats is all they do personality-wise. And even the things they do are almost always off screen. With TIM, at least you get to know him a bit better, and you can even relate a tad with his agenda on the second game, yet trough the entire game you feel that he's an "ally" more of necessity and circumstance but the moment he can, he'll dispose of you. You see him scheming, you see him striking deals with you, you see him being angry and sometimes even scared and confused. And at the end, he still managed to do more damage than Saren ever did. It was because of him that the reapers took control of the citadel, and it was him that Killed Anderson, the most important NPC of the game and a person most players cared for far more than any person Saren ever killed, yes, that includes kaidan/Ashley.
  • N7Spartan95 - May 17, 2013 4:26 p.m.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, and I do think that the Illusive Man was a pretty good antagonist in Mass Effect 3. I personally thought Saren was better, but hey, personal preferences and all that. Ashley was actually Shepard's love interest in my main playthrough. For me, she'd probably be up there with Anderson and Garrus as the people Shepard most cared about. But that's off-topic and again, personal preferences. You mentioned Dahlia in your first comment. Never played Ace Attorney, but reading the description of her makes me think "that is one crazy bitch."
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 5:04 p.m.

BIG DAMN SPOILERS FOR ACE ATTORNEY 3: TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS Ohhhh, you don't know the half of it. She's more than a crazy bitch, believe me. She's the very model of a cruel, raging psychopath. She has no qualms on manipulating and killing every single person that gets in her way, and she is so damn evil that even after she's sentenced to death, SHE COMES BACK AS A GHOST TO EXACT REVENGE ON THE FAMILY OF HER ENEMY. Seriously, on terms of sheer villiany and black heart, she's right up there with Kefka, Bison and Ganon.
  • N7Spartan95 - May 17, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Damn, that's insane. I can see why she made the list. Reapers and Flood are one thing, but what creeps me out more than anything are psychopathic murderers. Unlike space Cthulu, those kinds of people actually exist, and that creeps me the fuck out.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Yeah, I mean, even her goals aren't anything like world domination or such. She simply wanted to kill to get inheritance money, and then she wanted to kill to get away with her killing. Which makes her even more terrifying in that sense. I should note though, that this is a Phoenix Wright game we're talking about, which is high on comedy, silliness and Japanese-grade histrionics. So it's not like her arc feels that super bleak or realistic, but she still manages to feel like the most evil and disturbing villain in the series.
  • flipped100 - May 22, 2013 2:55 a.m.

I love that animation when you piss her off, she burns those butterflies fluttering around her. haha
  • bamit11 - May 19, 2013 6:23 p.m.

For being memorable, just about the first villain I thought of that I didn't see was actually Crazy Hand, because he's cooler than Master Hand, but same point.
  • lmaocarrots - May 16, 2013 12:17 p.m.

DIMITRI FROM GTA IV. The only villain I've truly ever hated.
  • King L0uis II - May 15, 2013 7:14 p.m.

How is Darth Malak so far down the list?!!! I mean, he's behind the freaking pig from Angry Birds. I tuned out after seeing that. No credibility here.