• RSQViper - November 28, 2013 9 a.m.

Is it just me or am I alone in LIKING that I can swap out batteries? Built in batteries mean when the battery dies, new controller time. NO THANKS TO THAT
  • Eightboll812 - November 28, 2013 11:10 a.m.

No it doesn't. I mean if you really like changing batteries over recharging, I can't argue your preference, but don't dislike built-in batteries for a false reason like "not being able to replace it". Spend a sec googling replacement batteries for dualshock 3 and you can easily find them for quite a bit less than a new controller costs. And if you add up all the batteries you bought for something that uses AA's it easily is cheaper with the built-in solution than swapping alkalines. My preference is built-in because replacing it once every few years is less of a pain than swapping batteries every few days, that and you plug it in and play while it is recharging if you are in a bind with a dead remote. But that's just me. BTW, I have my original DS3 and I still haven't had to replace it's battery. It still has excellent charge life. It's something like 5 years old I believe.
  • dangerdunne - November 28, 2013 5:29 a.m.

I had an argument already with a mate about how the memory is shit and you would only be able to have about 7 games installed at a time, well depended on the game since I heard FIFA took up 8GB and FORZA was more like 30GB, so they definitely need to sort that out soon!
  • DICEs - November 27, 2013 9:20 p.m.

I've found that proprietary battery packs to degrade much quicker than AA rechargeable batteries which I've been using for years now. They are much cheaper and last much longer plus buying a pack of 4 means you can have two on charge and still have two juiced up and ready to go. Meaning zero wired game time. If they all came with proprietary battery packs this wouldn't be possible. Swings and roundabouts really. Both ways have pros and cons
  • macrm32 - November 28, 2013 6:12 a.m.

From what I know, the batteries on the DS3 lasted for years before showing signs of degradation. The Play-and-Charge kit MS offered usually never lasted more than 3 months, from what I understand
  • Eightboll812 - November 28, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Ditto on what macrm32 said. There are different types of rechargeable technologies and some are horrible and have things like memory effects. Others have very long life. There's nothing special about being in a AA format that makes them last longer than a built-in battery pack. BTW, my original DS3 is still working great and it's like 5 years old. Sony DID use a decent battery in the controller. Sony used crap thermal paste inside the PS3, but they did use a good quality battery in the controller.
  • macrm32 - November 30, 2013 1:58 p.m.

I think part of the problem is that the 360 wasn't designed with battery packs in mind, and the system kept feeding the battery with power after it was fully charged, essentially reducing their capacity very quickly.
  • Bercilak - November 27, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Changing just two things would make me consider buying it: 1. Stop making Kinect mandatory. No, it's not "essential" to the machine. Microsoft admitted as much. 2. Offer the "Kinect-less" Xbone at $399 to compete with the PS4.
  • kven-ouellet - February 12, 2014 2:26 p.m.

Same points for me! Agree. No Kinect for 399$ or an elite version with 1To for 500$
  • ray-zink - April 17, 2014 12:28 p.m.

They do not need to do this, because then you will end up with no games using the kinect, because why develop a game to use an add on that hardly anyone owns? The fact that every XB1 has a kinect, means that more devs will actually use it in some way.
  • Twinkling82 - November 27, 2013 5:52 p.m.

I disagree on the charge for changing gamertag. If it was free, I wouldn't know who was who on my friends list within a freaking week. No thank you. If it as important to change as you imply in the article, pay up.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - November 27, 2013 7:54 p.m.

Maybe just a price cut? $10 seems like a lot.
  • Twinkling82 - November 28, 2013 6:43 a.m.

I don't see anybody complaining when it was 800 MSP, which is essentially almost the same in cost. Already back then I thought it was expensive, but I paid up since I made the mistake of letting my X360 choose a new name for me, and I realised I had an online alter ego to name myself. I paid up, annoyed, but without complaining.
  • Drekner - February 12, 2014 3:46 p.m.

Def agree. If you wanna change your gamertag, ten bucks is a good way to show that you really mean to. Otherwise people would change the thing waaaay too often, and if you REALLY need to change it for whatever reason, ten bucks really isn't all that much.
  • Twinkling82 - February 13, 2014 9:40 a.m.

Exactly. People already change their gamertags way too often, and it's often I see tags on my friends list I don't recognise. Though these days I tend to just accept friend request, mostly due to IF it so happens to be one online playing the same game as me, might as well boost some online.
  • Drekner - February 13, 2014 9:48 a.m.

Yeah, I can't say how many times I've sent a message "Uhm. Who are you? What was your gamertag last week?" Hahah.
  • projdurango13 - November 27, 2013 3:30 p.m.

I believe those improvements will come in due time.