• NelosAngelos - February 19, 2009 1:15 a.m.

Funny how it's crap on a disk, yet it got a ten on this site. It's true with Final Fantasy, you're more just "watching" then actually "playing". Can we do something now? No! Aw...
  • WaffleLeech - February 19, 2009 12:20 a.m.

Allways thought of BioShock as a first person RTS, you set the traps, get the materials, and use god like powers to destroy your enemys.
  • lava_lamp - February 18, 2009 9:13 p.m.

the far cry2 thing is very true btw you guys are acting like Resi 4 is Survival Horror when it is an action game in survival horror shouldn't you be dreading each fight and be scared. but in Resi 4 i was anticipating each fight, and wasn't scared in the least. I still lave Resi 4 but see it as an action game, not Survival horror. also based on the demo of Resi 5 it was pretty boring.
  • Randomnumba - February 18, 2009 7:48 p.m.

i love that farcry 2 pic with sam fisher.
  • zer0hvk - February 18, 2009 7:03 p.m.

another great article as always, thanks a lot guys!
  • Alakasam342 - August 21, 2009 7:54 p.m.

I luaghed at the FF one!
  • Sinsational - April 15, 2009 5:05 p.m.

When I originally read that Final Fantasy was being pegged as an Interactive Movie instead of an RPG, I picked up my Fanboy Sword and Shield and was prepared to defend it to the bloody end. Then I read the actual snippit for it, and I realized... he's absolutely right. I thought back on my time playing the different Final Fantasy games and recognized what he meant. Though I'll still call it an RPG, just for conviency's sake, I'll have that nagging reminder in the back of my mind that it's only an Interactive Movie. DAMN YOUS!!!
  • Juggernaut140 - February 27, 2009 5:34 a.m.

This article is unbelievably crappy :|
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - February 21, 2009 6:17 p.m.

I've got one: Simposons Game ---------------- Supposed Genre: Cheapo Movie tie-in/Platformer (depending on people's views) Real Genre : Satire/parodies of the very highest level and a load of cheap laughs. Oh, and a cracking good game :)
  • zoberbober - February 20, 2009 12:54 p.m.

This article is ridiculous. Bioshock, an RPG? You never get to roleplay anything in the game,a nd the only choice you ever got is witht he sisters. All you do in the game is shoot stuff. All actual GAMEPLAY is about shooting stuff with guns and spells. It is absolutely silly to say that Bioshock belongs to a different genre than a Shooter. And RPG? That's awful. Final Fantasy - interactive movie? First of all, WHAT FInal Fantasy? Many of them are different. That's just being uninformed, Author. Anyway, if by "Final Fantasy" you meant JRPG, then calling JRPGs "interactive movies" is ridiculous. When they're in movie mode, they are never ever interactive (that's what you pointed out yourself); and since when is JRPG core gampelay - grind for stats to beat monster Wizardry-style is movie-like? Where do they show such movies? By no stretch of imagination are JRPGs "interactive movies". They're mostly abstract games with added completely _uninteractive_ stories. Way to go with the buzzwords without even understanding them. Resident Evil - a pnc adventure? Wow. Resident Evil games are resource management games / shooters. Wow, dear author, you have no clue about what Resident Evil is. Or have never ever played a PaC game if you think they're even remotely similar to RE. In RE, solving puzzles is rarely difficult; you rarely if ever die while solving them, and most of the time you fight/evade enemies to conserve ammo and other supplies, which forms the core gameplay of a "survival horror" game. Sonic games are platformers and it's ridiculous to say otherwise. Platformer is a game where core gameplay is formed of jumping to evade obstacles and fight enemies, which is exactly what you do in Sonic. The whole franchise was started to counter the popular Mario of Sega's competetion. All in all, the article is awful and author is severely uninformed on the subject of video game genres.
  • deathrebellion - February 20, 2009 10:43 a.m.

lolz @ FF RE & Doom
  • Flapjackturd - February 19, 2009 9:19 p.m.

class pick of doom 3 your defo rite bout sonic unleashed
  • amorda - February 19, 2009 6:49 p.m.

Great article, but it made me thinks some interesting things. I feel like it demonstrates the lack of proper dialogue that we as players use to discuss videogames, in that we focus too much on what a game is "supposed to be." No other media seems to be so rigid in attempting to fit it's products into genres and discuss them from that angle. It's interesting to see how a player's opinion changes just based on camera angle. For example, if one were to see a gun sticking out of the bottom of the screen, the reaction seems to be, "Okay, this is a first person shooter," not "I'm holding a gun." When reading a book or watching a movie the reaction of the user is typically not "you got drama in my comedy," it's to react to the things that are actually occuring. I think part of the issue is that most genres for other mediums are not based so much on basic technique. No one says that low angle shots are for romantic comedies only, or that the placement of the subject to the verb defines that book as science fiction. Perhaps that just an inevitable part of the way that we interact with the medium of videogames, and not the specific videogames themselves. I don't know. I feel like the breakdown of P.N. 03 said it best, and, again, it's a great article. I'm glad that it points out that a game can be brought down by what some expect from that "genre."
  • Red - February 19, 2009 5:27 p.m.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the bit about Far Cry 2 being an "Open World Stealth" game. It isn't. It's not that the AI is too good, it's broken. If I crouch in tall grass, under a big tree, in the shade, fifty yards away from the road, and I still manage to get shot at...that's not good AI. Snipers will spot you in impossible to see locations. Patrols will turn around and make a bee line directly toward you after shooting a silenced pistol at the gunner while behind cover. It's not stealth at all.
  • thereaper52 - February 19, 2009 4:29 p.m.

i played farcry 2 as a stealth game its hard as fuck untill you get thew 40 diamonds to the stealth suit then its easier.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - February 19, 2009 9:36 a.m.

RebornKusabi: Post of the week so far. :) Your prize? This imaginary trophy, unfortunately. WaffleLeech: Interesting point. I personally wouldn't go as far as RTS, but the strategy elements of Bioshock's combat definitely shouldn't be downplayed. With the right equipment and planning you can clear a room almost without firing a shot. It's massively satisfying. DabilahroNinja: I never knew either, but I'm glad it does. Something like that really should be an official term.
  • DabilahroNinja - February 19, 2009 8:31 a.m.

What about... Ninja Gaiden 2 Perceived Genre: Action platformer Real Genre (according to XBLMarketplace): HIGH SPEED NINJA ACTION!!! I never knew such a genre existed, heh.
  • frag - February 19, 2009 6:02 a.m.

I agree 100% with doom3. i used to play doom, haunted house mod at night in the same proposed setting. Then i did the same with doom 3. there wasn't a trail of poop behind me, i wore diapers!!!
  • garnsr - February 19, 2009 4:19 a.m.

Ahh, tentacle!!! Shoot, shoot!
  • phoenix_wings - February 19, 2009 4:13 a.m.

I wish I could play FPS...:(