Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• passthecourvoisier - December 7, 2009 11:32 p.m.

Is it really that cold and snowy in San Francisco?
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - December 7, 2009 11:23 p.m.

I agree there's more to Sonic than holding right. I've been playing them since the original's launch day and am well aware of backtracking and slowing down. But IMO the levels all feel the same, regardless of the actions onscreen. They're fun, but there's no sense of why this world is fire/jungle/city etc. Ice Cap was the first one that felt like it needed to be ice to work. But that's me.
  • B3rt - December 7, 2009 11:12 p.m.

Great article Brett, so glad to see Ice Cap Zone probably my favorite ice level ever. Lets hope the new sonic 2010 will include something like this.
  • Pocotron - December 7, 2009 10:42 p.m.

Strange how most of the games are Nintendo... Hmmmm, I wonder...?
  • Conman93 - December 7, 2009 10:32 p.m.

Snowpeak ruins was my least favourite temple in TP. The boss was way too easy. I wish we'd get snow over here in Ireland for once
  • Romination - December 7, 2009 10:28 p.m.

I agree with silvereye. One day people are going to realize there's ACTUAL FUCKING PLATFORMING in the 2-d Sonic games and if you DID just hold right to win, it wouldn't be fun. The times you go fast are just so special that you freak out over them. But just because of that, that doesn't translate into all the game is. Go into even just Sonic 1. Green Hill zone was more straightforward, but Marble Zone, level TWO, had you back tracking, waiting for platforms, riding over lava, getting propelled by giant lava explosions, and a boss where you had to carefully time your jumps because he was destroying the ground and almost making you fall into the lava. I can beat Super Mario Bros. a lot easier if I just "hold right and jump now and then"
  • SuperStingray - December 7, 2009 10:26 p.m.

Bullshit, a "wind chill bonus?" Phendrana Drifts should be number fuckin' one. Not only is it beautiful, it's one of the most immersive moments in any video game ever.
  • johnthe5th - December 7, 2009 10:16 p.m.

I wish there was more on Phendrana Drifts but... I guess you at least mentioned it. It's definitely my favorite snow level.
  • silvereye - December 7, 2009 9:55 p.m.

I liked it, despite the whole sonic section dissing the franchise about beign repetitive and every level being "the same".
  • Corsair89 - December 7, 2009 9:08 p.m.

Holy shit, Shadows of the Empire. That brings me back. It's the first N64 game I've ever owned and because the N64 was my first system, SotE is the very first video game I've ever owned. Nostalgia apparently doesn't hold up.
  • patri0t - December 7, 2009 8:35 p.m.

hmmm.... chilly
  • Yaro - December 7, 2009 8:08 p.m.

Great article. My personal favorite snow level is the tiny bit in Valkyrie Profile 2 (PS2) it was so beautiful/harsh/chilly and the background music sat perfectly with it. reCAPTCHA> navajos impact
  • eee - December 7, 2009 7:51 p.m.

I knew from the second a read the article title that lost planet would be number 1
  • noobeater - December 7, 2009 6:30 p.m.

wtf allbeit a great list how can u knot have banjo kazooie, with click clock woods or more importantly A XMAS/WINTER THEMED: FREEZEEZY PEAK the clues in the name good list once again but you missed out on a great one.
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - December 7, 2009 5:59 p.m.

Christmas Nights is more Christmas-y than wintery, IMO. And as we near said holiday, expect to see it in another article...
  • garnsr - December 7, 2009 5:52 p.m.

Why did Karnov have a snow level if it wasn't slippery? That was the whole point of snow in 8/16-bit games. I thought the Uncharted 2 snowy levels gave a pretty good sense of being in the snow. And Christmas Nights definitely deserves a mention.
  • AA95mp - December 7, 2009 5:34 p.m.

even though i've only played on one sonic game ever and that was for dreamcast which i can't remember very well at 0:28 on the sonic music it sounded so familier. @"what" the gridlock ?
  • Ridgley - December 7, 2009 5:21 p.m.

@osiris - There's a difference between mentioning something that wasn't on the list and accusing the author of completely forgetting one of the biggest games on the N64.
  • Xplosive59 - December 7, 2009 5:16 p.m.

i feelcold just reading this
  • osiris25 - December 7, 2009 5:07 p.m.

@JackSkellington, What are you his mum? lol, I think people were just making suggestions for possible alternatives, which I thought was the point of being able to make posts on forums....