Topics

Nintendo Top 7

We Recommend

• GR_HenryGilbert - August 30, 2010 9:44 p.m.

Why Metroid Prime isn't on the list: While I did think of including the game, Nintendo purchased Retro outright before the game's release, making them a first party developer. In similar situations, like Game Freak/Pokemon and Rare/DKC, I felt that since those two companies were bought after their games became very successful, they were technically a third party when making those games. It's a sticky definition, but one I stand by.
  • garnsr - August 30, 2010 9:24 p.m.

I thought Pokemon started as the card game, then Game Boy came later. Maybe I'm confusing it with Nintendo, though, starting with hanafuda cards and moving into games.
  • sleepy92ismypsn - August 30, 2010 9:20 p.m.

I used be highly addicted to the pokemon games.
  • Tobio - August 30, 2010 9:19 p.m.

@Genericide Banjo-Kazooie wasn't a Ninty franchise, but a Rare franchise to begin with (unlike DK). Rare also released Banjo-kazooie for the Xbox. Then again, I don´t understand why Metroid Prime didn´t make it...
  • Genericide - August 30, 2010 9:14 p.m.

A well-made list, although most of these are franchises made outside of Nintendo rather than individual games. And if we are counting individual games, I too would bring up the previously mentioned Starfox 64 and Metroid Prime, and also Banjo-Kazooie, which was pretty damn great.
  • Fiirestorm21 - August 30, 2010 9:06 p.m.

Nintendo is only the greatest first-party developer in history if you count their efforts up through the N64 generation, which was admittedly damned impressive. However, Game Cube on the pendulum swung in the other direction, with first-party titles either being throwaways or entertaining yet rehashed sequels/remakes. And for the record, Super Mario RPG is the greatest Japanese RPG of all freaking time. That is all.
  • HawtKakez - August 30, 2010 9:04 p.m.

A very nice read indeed. I had no clue that those were developed by those companies. Well, now you know.
  • Stabby_Joe - August 30, 2010 9:01 p.m.

Rare did spring to mind when reading the title.
  • noofer7 - August 30, 2010 8:58 p.m.

So that's where "I can't wait to go bomb some Dodongos!" came from. I've seen the Faces of Evil opening a million times, but not the Wand of Gamelon. Hilariously horrible.
  • chrisantistas2inchpenis - August 30, 2010 8:47 p.m.

Doesn't Metroid Prime count?
  • RedBandit - August 30, 2010 8:36 p.m.

Those videos were so bad, I think I have cancer.
  • Strangleme - August 30, 2010 8:19 p.m.

Great Top 7 Hank. I'm so happy you included Punch-Out for Wii. As well as F-Zero GX. Love the idea of a special bonus entry. This should be an interesting conversation on this week's TalkRadar.
  • Haxorz - August 30, 2010 8:18 p.m.

@mahabat Eh Retro Studios was only a independent company for Metroid Prime 1. After the first one, they got bought by Nintendo....
  • enlargedhousecats - August 30, 2010 8:15 p.m.

metroid prime?
  • scsmith1 - August 30, 2010 8:15 p.m.

I like how in virtually every Gamesradar article you guys somehow manage to work in showing that horrible, horrible CD-I "Zelda" game.
  • CatrParrot - August 30, 2010 8:11 p.m.

I STILL have yet play through Super Mario RPG. The hell is wrong with me? But seriously, great top 7.
  • KnightDehumidifier - August 30, 2010 8:11 p.m.

Does Level-5's Professor Layton fit the concept? I mean it's published by Nintendo, but made by Level-5, right? Also, it features cockney accents and a guy with a top hat who battles villains by means of matchstick puzzles and mathematics.
  • shotgunalchemist - August 30, 2010 8:09 p.m.

Good list but am really gutted Starfox 64 didn't make the top 7 but then again it's not my top 7.
  • mahabat - August 30, 2010 8 p.m.

uhhh can we have a reader entry for metroid prime? retro made that not nintendo so it fits in to the criteria. seriously who doesn't love metroid prime? no one thats who fix it!
  • HitmanSB07 - August 30, 2010 8 p.m.

Christ, that Pokemon section was awesome!