Topics

Top 7

• Cloud1Fair3 - December 31, 2010 4:33 a.m.

I didn't quite follow the editor's quote on Aeris, (yeah the original Japanese name) but if what he's saying is that Aerith is a character to spur pride in feminist gamers, I strongly disagree. The reason she is so popular is here modest passive personality she's the typical rpg girl with the lame (tee-hee) laugh. She might dress like a respectable woman but she screams sex appeal to fan boys and she's that quite, reserved side-kick female role not at all a strong female lead. Look at Tifa if you're looking for a more feministic female lead. Anyways, off that topic before I get an ulcer. Dude FFVII wasn't all that great, yes my name is based off of it's anthology but that's more because of crisis core and it's great story/cinematic cut scenes (which kicked ass!!!!). Albeit, it borrowed from VII's story obviously, being a prequel, VII's story is highly over-rated and Sephiroth is a long-haired, overpowered samurai dude, not that amazing by say Jecht's standards. You guys wan't to play a REAL definitive RPG play final fantasy X, that games has great combat (pokemon esque Aeons) a wonderful leveling system, a pretty good story (better than VII's at least) and a much bigger suprise than the death of Aeris (drop da bomb Tidus is a ghost total sixth sense shocker moment). Overall, I suprisingly am going to have to agree with GR on this one.
  • g4m3rk1dd - January 8, 2011 11:48 p.m.

give us a remake of FF7 and we wont get so nostalgic about it...duh...
  • Hydrall - February 21, 2011 4:03 a.m.

I love how they called final fantasy 7 over rated when they gave freaking FF13 a god damned 10
  • BladedFalcon - April 14, 2011 6:57 a.m.

Tat doesn't make FFVII any less overrated, really.
  • BloodyShenlong - May 7, 2011 1:12 a.m.

Fuck Final Fantasy. Period.
  • TR4rulez - July 8, 2011 2:42 a.m.

A list like this is really hard too argue with, simply due to one unavoidable factor. It's merely opinion. I agree with some of the choices and remarks that were made in this article. On the other hand I highly disagree. Nostolgia is different for different people. So for those who have any nostolgic emotions for any of these games I can concur(sp). As far as Final Fantasy VII, I loved it and stil love it, but that said it is the first RPG I ever played, and that fact that it sold millions says to me that it is the first for many, so when you look at it from that perspective, It kind of makes sense why it's so highly "nostolgic."
  • nosaints9 - July 19, 2011 6:04 p.m.

Oregon Trail II was legit!
  • liadz - September 7, 2011 1:32 a.m.

I always thought the materia system had nothing of awesome about it. I see lots of people saying how innovative and customizable it is when it's not. Being able to combine some "all" materia with some magic damage materia is nothing to write home about. And about the graphic, I do agree. I didn't play this game in the year it was launched. I played it some time after 2000 and it looked so ugly compared with many other psx games, even with games from the same year like Xenogears (it uses sprites, but has 3d environments and giant robots), also I like the soundtrack but I prefer newer versions since the psx version had such a terrible sound. I like VII, more than VIII, but for me it still doesn't get close to look complete as games like Chrono Trigger or even Chrono Cross do. I'm playing VI right now and the cast of characters feels really more mature than VII, and also the game has a much better sad mood about it (and the soundtrack helps a lot). For me, VII is the beginning of the j-rock emo plot-hole driven RPGs in SquareSoft.
  • Vordhosbn - September 7, 2011 2:22 a.m.

The Nes Power Pad bit is pretty much my whole experience with the Wii.
  • Mezolitik - September 7, 2011 2:53 a.m.

I think it's a little unfair to say that the characters were poorly realised. Pick any character, say Barrett; he had a ton of personality traits, as did Tifa. How else would we know that Barrett is an overprotective father-figure with a foul mouth, or that Tifa is a shy, determined, girl-next-door type? VII had significantly more character development than Fallout, the Witcher, Baldur's Gate, etc. In fact, with the possible exception of Dragon Age, there are very few RPGs with any character development at all, these days. It's a shame. And now that EA has got their claws into BioWare, the RPG scene has gone to the dogs.
  • wishingW3L - November 17, 2011 8:55 p.m.

I played FFVII and FFIX for the first time ever in 2010 after beating FFXIII and I think that FFVII is not only much better than FFIX but it deserves all the praise and hype too. The game's amazing. My first FF game was FFVIII and after playing FFVII and couldn't believe what I was missing out. That part when u first get out of Midgar and see the open-world map for the first time is still striking even by today's standards. The way it opens up it's so masterful. If all those haters only took out the time to play the game beyond the first few hours in Midgar everybody would understand why this game has such a big legion on fans. And let me end this by saying that I used to be one of those blind haters.
  • PatHan-bHai - March 11, 2013 8:18 a.m.

*stupid-face* Final Fight was epic!! do not compare it with other 2d brawling crap!
  • sean-wiederholt - May 31, 2014 8:38 p.m.

So i played FFVII as a 12 year old when it first came out. I had played Cecils quest on final fantasy many times before, loving every second. I never got into FFVI which is considered by many to be the greatest rpg of all time. With that stuff said....7 knocked my pubescent socks off. Iplayed morning noon and night.... Missing school and sleep, grinding heavily to get those difficult weapons and materia. I finished playing this gem just recently and i was flush with nostalgia. Tears even. The music is responsible mostly to be honest. But it is STILL so wonderful. The story is trite, the sprites are blocky jenga messes, and sephiroth isn't that great of a villian. Jenova should've been the antagonist. And yet, with all its faults, even 14 years later, this game showed us what new tech can be and how accessible rpgs could be. It's not the greatest because of the sum of its parts, it's the greatest for how it changed the culture.