• NightCrawler_358 - February 7, 2011 8:29 p.m.

How could you forget the guy feeding the horse on the Mexico stage in Street Fighter II!?!?! That guys is hilarious! Also, Brawl has some sweet backgrounds like Lylat Cruise, and when MvC3 comes out, the Daily Bugle stage had one of the coolest backgrounds i've ever seen!
  • mastersword369 - February 7, 2011 8:13 p.m.

Man, this is incredible uninteresting, for the most part.
  • FauxFurry - February 7, 2011 7:49 p.m.

I'm shocked that none of the backgrounds from the Cho Aniki fighting game or Watson's stage from Battle Fantasia made the list...shocked,I say! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEGYxekRB0&playnext=1&list=PL0EA2E489374397CD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b8YTtHfFRg A fighting game stage filled with cute fuzzy woodland creatures or or flowers gives one the impression that one is defiling (or deflowering?)a pristine idyll with the character's manly essences which will suffuse the realm with pure machismo once their various bodily fluids are swallowed up by those in dangerous deficit of such traits beneficial to a civilized society. Those images from that carnival stage in Marvel Versus Capcom 2 just answered one of life's great mysteries. There's your curly little moustache. The giant Clown took it,perhaps as its former owner slept. Are you a bad enough dude to take it back? Now,THAT would make for a satisfying super secret final boss fight!
  • FanofSaiyan - February 7, 2011 7:29 p.m.

What about Orchid's and Fulgore's stages from Killer Instinct. I thought both those stages could've gotten honorable mentions...
  • suicidali - February 7, 2011 6:55 p.m.

Very nice list, though I would've put Taokaka's stage and Moonlit Wilderness as honourable mentions...
  • moh82sy - February 7, 2011 6:47 p.m.

my favorite is from Soul Calibur 2, the one with the windmills.It's music was awesome too.
  • paganpoet - February 7, 2011 6:43 p.m.

Jesus, everyone needs to calm they asses with those "Where's blah blah?" It's a Top 7. 7. Seven.
  • Pruman - February 7, 2011 6:40 p.m.

Blah, nothing from either Killer Instinct game? The bridge from KI2 or Sabrewulf's castle or Glacius's crashed ship from KI 1 both would have been great choices.
  • Lionzest7 - February 7, 2011 6:33 p.m.

No Smash Bros Melee, Blaz Blue, Guilty Gear, Samurai Showdown, KOF, Fatal Fury, Power Stone, Tekken..... what? Notable missed ones imo: Fountain of Dreams (SSBM) Kyoto in Bloom (DoA4) Seaside Market (DoA4) Almost every stage in GGXX - AC
  • S135 - February 7, 2011 6:12 p.m.

No backstreets of kagatsuchi from BlazBlue? Hype Dog is reason enough to include it.
  • el.waxa - February 7, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Smash bros is shite. I loved the Shun di's raft and I always liked Sagats stage on sf2 I always thought that was cool as a kid. great article btw.
  • icedoesnthelp - February 7, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I have to go with everyone stating that smash bros. is missing from the list. Theres over 65 stages, each unique in there own way. Not sure how it didn't appear on the list. BUT hey, I didn't make the list, just stating my opinion.
  • paganpoet - February 7, 2011 5:02 p.m.

I actually preferred Chun-Li's SFAlpha stage, with all the people in the background doing Tai Chi. The makers of BlazBlue clearly liked it too, they copied it beautifully for the Orient Town stage where you always fight Litchi.
  • skeletalbutton - February 7, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Another brilliant top 7.
  • RonnyLive19881 - February 7, 2011 4:55 p.m.

No Smash Bros.=FAIL! Where is Temple, The Wind Waker one or the Animal Crossing Level? All worthy of the top spot imo.
  • KidKatana - February 7, 2011 4:54 p.m.

Afraid I have to disagree with you Mr Towell, I'd say that there is indeed a standout Smash Bros arena that belongs on this list - considering that the article specifies 'backgrounds' rather than 'levels', it's gotta be Brinstar Depths with Kraid in the background. What other background element looks that awesome while simultaneously having such a massive impact on the terrain? I mean, he rotates the entire bloody level around, it's genius!
  • sgloomy - February 7, 2011 4:53 p.m.

The most entertaining stage to me so far is the Solar Eclipse stage in SSf4. There are so many little details that I still look out for them when i get a chance. that and the fact that hippos are just awesome in general make that stage the best.
  • MkLangley - February 7, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Lthe lack of blazblue and tekken is disturbing.
  • p4nhead - February 7, 2011 4:27 p.m.

Great list andI hate to be THAT guy but technically wasn't the first tiered fighting stage in MK (I think it was 3 but I'm not sure), where you could do an uppercut and knock them through the ceiling to another stage I may be getting this wrong as I haven't played this in ages but I definitely remember a tiered stage in one of the original Mortal Kombat's
  • garnsr - February 7, 2011 4:25 p.m.

I always loved the Samurai Shodown level in the bamboo forest. At some point you could cut the bamboo down, I can't remember if it was mid-fight or after. Ans no mention of all the levels in all the other Soul Caliburs? I know you have to pick one, but every game has awesome levels.