We Recommend

• Link555 - May 18, 2010 4:38 p.m.

Poor Jim
  • EnragedTortoise1 - May 18, 2010 12:22 p.m.

My last betas were Bad Company 2, Uncharted 2, and MAG. The latter two sold me on those games, and the first one just got me pissed off at my parents. (long story..) But I liked it anyway. I agree with the feature, but it isn't THAT bad. Not all betas are cereal-box toys- only Halo, from what I've seen, does that.
  • philipshaw - May 18, 2010 11:57 a.m.

You have a point but it doesn't stop people from playin the beta and enjoying it
  • CH3BURASHKA - May 18, 2010 12:46 a.m.

I think all these truths are accepted and taken into account, at least I do.
  • oufour - May 17, 2010 8:20 p.m.

"quality isn't enough to sell games anymore." okami is proof of that.
  • oryandymackie - May 17, 2010 6:29 p.m.

'I am special...that's why I have access to the beta...I am special...that's why I have access to the beta...I am special...that's why I have access to the beta...I am special. I have access to the beta.
  • Shrimpandwhitewine - May 17, 2010 5:59 p.m.

I actually don't mind the marketing, especially if it's a beta for a game that I want to do well and support (i.e. Halo: Reach) :D. That being said, while Betas are great marketing techniques, they are also good tools for developers to test their game on a massive scale.
  • CAPST3R - May 17, 2010 5:54 p.m.

An anagram of beta is bate. Bate has 3 meanings, and sounds like another, article-related word, so excuse me if I decide to let you make your own comments on the previously mentioned fact.
  • Blackout1881 - May 17, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Virtually every BETA I have played has led to some significant changes in the final game, they are BETA tests, first and foremost and that is why they are happening, the popularity boost is just a perk and you also forget that it is an unfinished piece of software being unleashed on the public that cynical peoople instantly try to claim is indicative of the full title, releasing a BETA is a double edged sword.
  • tacoman38 - May 17, 2010 5:09 p.m.

but betas could also help the used games. I'm pretty sure many people bought ODST used just to get into the Reach beta. so maybe some games are using the codes, but they don't appear to be everywhere yet.
  • TheKennedyCurse - May 17, 2010 4:49 p.m.

I generally dislike betas, (especially the Halo: Reach one, paying full price for a shitty expansion pack, just to get beta access? No thanks.), but the MAG beta, I really can't complain about. It was free, and it gave me an opportunity to try a game I was really looking forward to, to see if my excitement was warranted. Maybe they are underhanded ploys sometimes, to get you to spend more money (ie: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Halo 3 and Halo: Reach), but anyone dumb enough to buy a full game just for beta access for another, deserves to lose the money anyway. Free beta's, however, that are truly in the interest of improving a game, are awesome.
  • Quaro - May 17, 2010 4:14 p.m.

I totally disagree. I've tried 4 beta versions, of games I wanted to buy, in the last 6 months. These were MAG, Modnation Racers, Lego Universe and APB. And the result was that I'm not going to ever buy any of these games. I didn't like them, and I'll probably say so, when someone asks me if he should buy one of those games. So a Beta can easily backfire.
  • KoiNeonX - May 17, 2010 3:44 p.m.

I'm really not into the whole BETA thing. I don't even mess around with demos anymore (since the last one left corrupted data on my PS3!) I just know what I want to own and play by reading previews/reviews and knowing what type of game I'm going to enjoy.
  • bluscorp - May 17, 2010 3:09 p.m.

Good feature David. The best betas i was in was Uncharted 2 and Bad Company 2.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - May 17, 2010 3:02 p.m.

Jakery: It should. And now it does. Cheers for the heads-up.
  • hero2bash - May 17, 2010 3 p.m.

great article
  • bluscorp - May 17, 2010 2:46 p.m.

My last beta was APB.
  • jakery22 - May 17, 2010 2:41 p.m.

In the paragraph above the ghost recon future soldier picture shouldn't it say nazi weapons? Not nazi eapons? And the last beta i took part in was the MAG one. It was alright apart from i had to download it and it took 18 hours. T_T
  • Jacob816 - May 17, 2010 2:36 p.m.

While what you are saying is true, you have neglected to mention that sometimes betas are actually used for their intended purpose, which is to test the game. For example the Starcraft II beta has been going on for a few months now, and there have been twelve updates thus bar. This vast amount of unit balancing and tweaking is not just for the free ad money, it's vital for making Starcraft II the highly tuned and competitive game that it is. And not only to eager people get a chance to play it earlier, they also help all those other people who buy it at retail who enjoy the benefits of said balancing.
  • db1331 - May 17, 2010 2:33 p.m.

The last beta I participated in was for Bad Company 2. You got early access to the beta for pre-ordering on Steam. I knew all my friends were going to get the game and that it would probably be good, so I went ahead and did it. I figured if the beta sucked I could just cancel my pre-order. The beta was a blast though and totally sold me on the game.