• PiscesIscariot - January 8, 2010 12:51 a.m.

This is why I fucking love you guys so much. Much love.
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - January 7, 2010 11:14 p.m.

Oh, and I agree with crumbdunky. That was a really convincing rant.
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - January 7, 2010 11:06 p.m.

Man I gotta check out G4 more often.... Sorry GR, you've brought an opposition to me :D Epic article though. Can't wait for 2011, it has AC III :P
  • QWERTYCommander - January 7, 2010 10:03 p.m.

Why, TH games, why?
  • realybored666 - January 7, 2010 9:47 p.m.

lol sessler's video was hilarious didnt know they were allowed to respond to comments like that XD
  • crumbdunky - January 7, 2010 9:25 p.m.

I can't help but feel that gamers themselves are just as much to blame as the industry with regards to the plethora of sequels and remakes we're seeing. Witness how all the COD fans moaned about Killzone2 having the bare faced cheek to, gasp, control slightly differently and ask they learn something, however small, new to them. Witness the non stop demands for THAT FF7 remake(along with those being made like the XBLA PD remake, the GOW collection and the billion jrpgs handed down to another generation omn DS and PSP)along with a million other demands for the same bloody games over and over until we can safely say gaming has completely eaten every least bit of itself, no? Seriously, are we so lazy that we not only accept the fact that Activision has, since the great steps made with COD4, basically given us the same game in a different set of times, skins and locations for the past three years without even moving the all important online multiplayer onto proper dedicated servers(surely that would at least have been one step fowrards, no?)but imnstead all they did was take 'em off PC gamers and lie about why! the fact they got away with this(and a whole bunch of other shady stuff to do with the biggest selling FPS ever(TM))by demonstrating how splintered our whole community is by settiung PC gamer against console gamer very effectively was just going to make it even sadder-even if they were clever and everything. Whatever, we were too greedy, self important and lazy to stop them even when a market leading online shooter in 2009 really SHOULD be sporting something way better than creaky, lag infested, number reducing P2P these days. If Warhawk can do it why can't something as massive as COD? And why on earth didn't we demand it? Great list, in the main , though GR but you should really have stuck gamers up there with the biannual release shenanigans as we're just as much to blame. Count the number of requests for a Goldeneye remake, a SotCand Ico HD box set etc, etc, etc and you'll start to see the picture. the other point(that we're l;ess and less happy to actually try and learn something new) is even more worrying. Yes, some of my mates were a little perplexed by the weighty, satisfying guns in KZ2 as they were also used to COD/Halo's immediacy but since when did we gamers expect to have to learn nothing AND, worse imo, expect EVERY game to be the one for us. We're after homogenising the game experience to the popint every shooter feels the same just because we can't accept the existence of taste! We can't accept that we should learn new things in any genre or that a develop[er might actually want their game to play a way that isn;'t for us personally. the sense of playing it safe and the sense of entitlement is overwhelming, imo, and we'll eventually kill all originality within gaming if we constantly demand our games feel instantly familiar because we liked another game we already learned how to play a while ago and can't really be bothered learning whether this new scheme is one we like or not! So, I'd have liked an award for all those gamers who wish to kill any individuality and demand that EVERY game be made to suit them rather than accept that, sometimes, a game just isn't to our own, personal, fickle tastes. How boring do we want it? I can name you twenty COD aping games in the recent FPS memory and most would have been made better with more things, rather than less, to differentiate them from Actis uber series! So, yeah, the "contributing to our own demise" Award I would give to these over entitled and backwards looking gamers who, apparently, like developers not to think too much or come up with anything challenging, new or exciting and would prefer something they played earlier. It's a grwoing, terrifying trend among us to ask for stuff we played a long time ago in new wrapping paper I'm afraid. Yes that FF7 footage they showed in HD was amazing but why play through the whole game again just to see some nice HD? Isn't that what Advent Children's for anyway? Don't SE remakle ENOUGH already? Do we REALLY think encouraging developers to think LESS and make the SAME games is wise? Oh, rant over. Just don't say you weren't all warned-think about it with this thinking there'd be no Okami(and WHAT would GR features do THEN?), No Valkyria Chronicles, No Tim shafer games(ever), No new features and just the same old for ever-but at a higher cost(in the UK anyway-and possibly on PC too if they can find a feature that they feel is normal to drop after a decade of being standard)-that's where we're headed right now make no error.
  • vitoruss - January 7, 2010 9:14 p.m.

The website page that was linked from the Tony Hawk ride game got my blood boiling. Only FOX news gets me angrier and more uncomfortable than a bunch of soccer-moms who have no idea what they're talking about. I wanted to punch everything I saw on that page, along with everyone who commented on it. (Spoiler Alert, by the way: My 'Jack Thompson' Gamer rage hasn't even begun to be unleashed) The Rogue Warrior game looked like shit, as well, but I admit that I laughed at how they managed to make some of those lines rhyme. Pretty funny. Although unlike CoD, the beat sucked major balls. I'm going to stick with, "Zakhaev, haha, hand up" Great article, though. I think that the Kurt Cobain incident qualified for both the industry's biggest dick move as well as the cash grab.
  • Smeggs - January 7, 2010 7:45 p.m.

"Laughably tame next to Dead Space" I'm guessing you're not saying Dead Spaces finishing kills that happened to Isaac weren't very violent and gorey, considering the one wear the little skull alien rips your head off, works his tentacles down your bloody stump and then walks off with your body. But on the slim chance you are, WTF? Resi 4's finishers even paled in camparison.
  • Conman93 - January 7, 2010 7:16 p.m.

I thought the freaky ways of dying were one of the things that made resi 4 scary. Maybe thats why resi 5 is less scary. There is one death however where chris or sheva get bitten clean in half. Pretty nasty.. I love how the top of the trophy is the RIDE board peripheral
  • jackthemenace - January 7, 2010 5:56 p.m.

This article is one of the best i've read in a LONG time! i loved the adam sessler bit at the biggining especially XD
  • thephntm - January 7, 2010 5:36 p.m.

no Sonic games? weird.
  • GwaR - January 7, 2010 5:28 p.m.

As always, the anti-awards are excellent and well thought out. Tony Hawk taking the top spot is perfect, and very well deserved. Two glaring omissions, however, were made. You failed to mention COD Modern Warfare 2 giving PC owners the middle finger -whilst sneaking in the news that they were going to give them the middle finger a mere 3 weeks before the game released. You also forgot to nominate Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, for being a total dick in every respect.
  • PBDB - January 7, 2010 4:48 p.m.

Also awesome article. It be awesome.
  • PBDB - January 7, 2010 4:47 p.m.

I read the Tony Hawk review on that mom website and saw the vid...yeah. Everytime it showed gameplay(zoomed into the tv) he was doing absolutely NOTHING. Are people this dumb?
  • rxb - January 7, 2010 3:19 p.m.

Good read guys, having the Ride controller as the prize is funny.
  • dannage805 - January 7, 2010 2:52 p.m.

wow, Adam Sessler is my new hero
  • allthegoodnameswheretaken - January 7, 2010 2:38 p.m.

I prefer the anti-awards to the platinum chalice awards the sarcasm makes it funnier.
  • oryandymackie - January 7, 2010 1:58 p.m.

I read about a few decent looking games that had been swept under the carpet after the release of MW2. I'd rather have those than Infinity Ward's newest. What's the hype anyway?
  • jmcgrotty - January 7, 2010 8:30 a.m.

"And finally, there were special attacks you could perform that the game never even told you about or didn’t properly explain, which you’d only know about if you read the manual." So, what you're saying then is that the game did tell you about the special attacks.
  • bar1scorpio - January 7, 2010 7:20 a.m.

I... i made it into an article. And I really feel the need to apologize for that.