We Recommend

• nevermore - June 22, 2011 11:13 a.m.

@thedigitalG its a very shit,very immature game,this site has pointed out some of the most shit,immature moments,if you dont like it dont read it. its their job to write articles like this,get over it.
  • TheDigitalG - June 22, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Jesus Christ, I stopped reading dozens of games sites because of shit like this. We get it, critics hate DNF, but stop flogging a dead horse. I don't care what you think is wrong with the game, and don't need you shoving this shit down my throat like its wrong to like a game based purely on it not taking itself seriously. If you think you're too big and mature for this, youre all going to need a crane to lift you off of that incredibly high horse.
  • RicePuddingUK - June 22, 2011 10:48 a.m.

The game feels like the re-mastered Star Wars originals, you had the original work (The origianl 90's developers) then you've tried adding your own stuff over it (Gearbox) and it just looks wrong and out-of-place. I love Duke as a character but the game was a dissapointment
  • JachAnen - June 22, 2011 10:25 a.m.

kyle94 @ You are the first one where i completely agree with you on everything about the game. Our standards aren't to low, theres to high. Seriously, development hell, being a normal FPS just with more focus on fun, its better than i actually expected, because its an FPS, and theres always a lot of them that reminds of another. If you make one thats unique, it will be ripped off soon. Duke was original then, and reinvented now, which the rip off, Serious Sam, surprisingly is also going trough. And don't judge the overall game for graphics and load times as only the consoles has that, like old times :)
  • shadowreaper72 - June 22, 2011 6:58 a.m.

Im actually enjoying the game myself.
  • quincytheodore - June 22, 2011 6:39 a.m.

Ah, to gain Ego from slapping boobs... It's not funny, it's not amusing, it's not even laughable.. Where did it go so wrong?
  • kyle94 - June 22, 2011 6:34 a.m.

I had no trouble with the load times (as I played it on the PC), I had no trouble with the elevator (had no idea what to do, but I was lucky and got it on my first try), didn't find the puzzles boring, and had no trouble with the second Battlelord boss (Didn't even die, though I was playing on normal and not hard.) For me, the annoying parts were: The boss fight against the enforcer when you're tiny (I ran out of ammo for my good guns, got stomped a few times, ran in circles, and got really confused after a stray rocket took out the lights and I ran into the wall for a bit and got stuck.) The underwater section inside the dam (Specifically, when all the little enemies are in the water, before you go outside. The first couple times they just swarmed over me, I got disoriented, couldn't find the bubbles, and drowned/nipped to death by the little buggers. I finally got past the part but just staying over some bubbles and waiting for them to get to me one at a time.) The strip club level (Hey, I'm all for bewbies. But a random level in a strip club that's nothing but a dream and is never brought up again?) The billiard table (curse my random bouts of OCD. I tried several times to sink all the balls at the beginning of the game. A couple times I had only one ball left. But I kept knocking the white ball into a hole, resetting it, and having to hear one of the twins make fun of me.) The Hive (Mostly because of how dark it was. Looking back, I'm an idiot for not just turning up the gamma. But hindsight is 20/20. It's just that I prefer being able to see. With the dukevision, it's still tough to see at times, and with those pillbug things whatever, they were so bright that I had to turn off the dukevision, which meant the only things I could see had to be in 2-feet of the pillbug beetle or glow itself. Also, was it just me, or was the freezegun completely useless? Maybe I was using it wrong, but it just did not seem effective to me. Hell, I ALWAYS had the shotgun, with the second gun either being an explosive weapon, the railgun, or the ripper if I had absolutely nothing else. I guess I just prefer the stopping power of the shotgun. However, I still think the game was good. Frankly, for a game that spent 12 years in development hell, it was not bad. At least in my opinion (I do go easy on things. I guess my standards aren't high.) For example, I liked some of the boss fights, I actually liked some of the slow breathing room parts, I liked punching out Christian Bale, and I honestly liked Dylan. Yea, he was a parody. Yea, he won't show up in the sequel (if there is one.) Yea, he curses nonstop. But again, maybe my standards aren't high, since I still found him funny. I guess the way to my heart is by saying stuff like "Can't wait to pound them in the cornhole! Ho-rah!" ...bloody hell I wrote a lot. TL;DR: I don't even know.
  • FrozenImplosion - June 22, 2011 5:47 a.m.

Was I the only one expecting the first one to be "the whole thing"?
  • Darkhawk - June 22, 2011 5:36 a.m.

Jesus Christ the game audio is so much quieter than the GR logo. I keep forgetting and each time I play a new video it blasts my speakers at the logo. Time for a new new player, guys?
  • Themadkossak - June 22, 2011 5:17 a.m.

The only part of this game that made me smile remotely was the halo reference. Technicaly there was a counter for the elevator level. On the wall were the numbers for the floors; Unfortunatly you would pass each number like 4 times and at the end of the numbers it would just repeat to a quicker countdown number set I think, I only rented after seeing your review. You saved me alot of cash.
  • Pytor - June 22, 2011 4:27 a.m.

So sad. Poor Dukey :(
  • DryvBy - June 23, 2011 6:42 a.m.

@FrozenImplosion You obviously didn't play the game...
  • Dondada - June 23, 2011 3:22 a.m.

Thanks for that, never have and never will play a Duke Nukem game.
  • Yeager1122 - June 23, 2011 2:02 a.m.

ONly played a liitle at a freinds house didnt buy based on your review and a few others played the middle section and enjoyed it a bit.
  • TheMonarch - June 23, 2011 1:39 a.m.

I did enjoy the game when I played it. I played on the 360 so I got screwed with the loading times. I agreed with Mikel's 6. The game is fun but has some broken parts. The loading is the most broken thing I ran into. If just that was fixed, I would be willing to rate it definitely a 7, maybe an 8. I had fun. I understood the dated references and such. My comment on that is, it took 14 years to make! If they had to rewrite everything it would have been longer! One thing I found odd, and I don't know if it was only a console thing, but whenever I died driving, falling off a cliff or gorge, I instantly re-spawned, back a ways. Why did I instantly come back them but not everywhere else? I thought some of Duke's responses like the Holsome twins was kind of odd. For instance the last time you meet with Dylan, I won't spoil it, but it was strangely callous. All said, I really hope this franchise doesn't die. I think Gearbox, with an appropriate development cycle should get the chance to set these wrongs right and make the next game. Duke Nukem Valhalla, anyone?
  • Killingjoke - June 23, 2011 1:22 a.m.

So Bad its good? I gotta buy this but when its lowered the price or off craigslist
  • Cyberninja - June 23, 2011 12:44 a.m.

Heres the vibe i am getting from DNF, its like FF13 alot of people hate it even though reviewers love it, its the inverse for DNF. so its not like this is uncommon in the world of video games.
  • Meleedragon27 - June 22, 2011 10:36 p.m.

Jeez, Duke Nukem fans sure are... uh, dedicated. I haven't played the game (and judging from GR's review, I don't I will be anytime soon), but I've heard plenty about it. Nice to see I'm not the only one who thought the Holsom twins were creepy and the Hive level seemed really out-of-place in a supposedly silly game. Chances are, I'll probably buy it eventually when it hits the $20-$30 mark, if only because it's Duke Nukem Forever and it's hard to ignore the release of a game that's been in development hell for over a decade.
  • ilikekookies - June 22, 2011 9:27 p.m.

Holy shit, everyone here is mad
  • Pocotron - June 22, 2011 7:53 p.m.

@meh There ya go. You're killing the game all by yourself! And I'm not even talking about graphics here, get that out.