We Recommend

• Zer0 - May 23, 2009 9:20 p.m.

Anybody know what game the Screenshot on Number 4: Complexity is from?
  • 435 - May 23, 2009 8:28 p.m.

Splendid article, Mr. Wylde. Wonderful to see a question I put to many an editor at a certain wedding in November being taken to the next logical step and put in print. As a future game designer, I'm keeping this article. reCAPTCHA: Tyler only (frsrs)
  • dacole78 - May 23, 2009 8:23 p.m.

hmm I don't know you can think any game can be good without a story, now I don't play halo but simply because the story is such crap. Half life 2 got that way as well. Mindless shooting doesn't do it for me but then I am a computer person and a rpg player so... the complication one scares me as well, the LAST thing we need is more games like peggle
  • Hunter2458 - May 23, 2009 7:23 p.m.

The unskippable tedium bit about selling ammo is one of my favorite parts of MGS4, once you have too much of something it's auto sold.
  • GoKanuks - May 23, 2009 4:39 p.m.

You are right. Wow, I never really thought about that before! RT www.real-anonymity.pro.tc
  • ssj4raditz - May 23, 2009 4:16 p.m.

"You win! Now get out." LOL As much as I love Eternal Sonata, those damn cut scenes were soooooo long.
  • dtzulu - May 23, 2009 3:02 p.m.

and a note about shenmue. i had that game for my dreamcast. the concept, great. the problem? I WAS TOO BUSY LIVING MY OWN LIFE TO LIVE HIS!! ie, go to work, buy this, buy that, be at home by 11:00, man!
  • charley235 - May 23, 2009 2:35 p.m.

this article made alot of sense...except for #3. if you beat the game, what if someone dies, or what if the storie continues in the second game right from that point? #3 is bullcrap, otherwise i liked them all...its been 2 hours, where the hell do i go next!!
  • bamit11 - May 23, 2009 2:31 p.m.

one of the far crys is really annoying when ever you start the game or quit a mode you have to watch that stupid unskipable cutscene
  • RedOutlive10 - May 23, 2009 1:56 p.m.

To be honest these go through the vent moments were awesome to me in HL2, and even nostalgic. They aren't hard to see, heck the game points at the path to you all the times.
  • Selectedpayload - May 23, 2009 11:28 a.m.

If you want unskippable tedium, try splinter cell CT, the opening cut scene was unskippable to a certain point where if you were quick enough with the right timing you could stop it and get to the main menu. If you missed then you'd have to watch the rest, thats like 3 mins of video every time you get that disc spinning, even if you want to play the MP.
  • garnsr - May 23, 2009 8:25 a.m.

How many people actually played Shenmue, the originator of QTEs? Why did so many developers decide to take that from an underappreciated game? ReCaptcha: lechery Friday Woohoo! I'm off for some lechery right now! These ReCaptchas are getting better!
  • ranzatsu - May 23, 2009 4:40 a.m.

To hell with unskippable cutscenes. Thanks to that, I memorize the entire script for Crisis Core!! Damn them.
  • vitoruss - May 23, 2009 3:56 a.m.

For 'withholding information', how about the first chainsaw manjini fight in Resi 5? You keep running back and forth shooting the guy in the face with the sniper and punching him for a half an hour which left me to pause, go on the internet to see what to do, only for it to say to keep on doing what I was doing. Also, the boulder falling and chasing Leon in Resi 4's first quicktime event was like, "WTF? How was I supposed to know there was quicktime events right now?"
  • Technodragonslayer69 - May 23, 2009 3:54 a.m.

great artitcle, it's about time someone complains about that ridic boss fight in res 5. Like seriously i had no idea that what i was doing was how i defeated her and kept restarting and killing her.
  • xXD0min8oRXx - May 23, 2009 3:17 a.m.

So true, but meh, games can't be perfect. reCAPTCHA: short coming ( I dunno.. )
  • Skykid - May 23, 2009 3:05 a.m.

Wow, you speak truth. Are you guys prophets? :)
  • Koouunn - May 23, 2009 2:20 a.m.

lol "push x to make win happen" that is an epic win right there
  • Ninja-KiLLR - May 23, 2009 2:02 a.m.

i really hate non-skippable cut scenes. that urks me so much im looking at u BLACK even though it is like 4 years old i remeber trudging through poorly made cut scenes and pressing ever button to make it stop
  • Corsair89 - May 22, 2009 10:03 p.m.

DAMN YOU, UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!!!