• Punkmasher - November 4, 2010 11:06 a.m.

Slick writing, intelligent summaries. I was left grinning and admiring the solid nature of the article. Great work, thank you.
  • centrip - November 4, 2010 10:02 a.m.

Guess what game I kept thinking about every time I read the word 'Honor'? I think it's subliminal advertising..
  • Hinro - November 4, 2010 9:07 a.m.

"JUSTICE KAGAN: It's a candidate, meaning, yes, a reasonable jury could find that Mortal Kombat, which is an iconic game, which I am sure half of the clerks who work for us spend considerable amounts of time in their adolescence playing. JUSTICE SCALIA: I don't know what she's talking about." Yeah. Scalia definitely didn't play Mortal Kombat. Glad I'm Canadian.
  • switch22 - November 4, 2010 8:47 a.m.

WOW someone is realllllllly bad at photoshop. At least in regards to transposing pregnant teenagers with suave sunglasses who are also badass enough to play MW2. ... anyway great article. enjoyable read; good work.
  • tyler_14_420 - November 4, 2010 7:38 a.m.

Bonus points for the '9 year old' comment. As a seventeen year old who is able to drive ALONE LEGALLY on the roads at any given time, I don't see how they have any right to prevent people (My age) from playing the games they want. The ratings system is currently in place, all it needs is some stricter enforcement. I don't see the real problem here. Plus: Anyone who doesn't consider Okami "art" is a foosbag. Using examples like Postal 2 is just bias at best, showing what is well-known for being one of the most vulgar games out there (Pissing on yourself to extinguish flames) Props to the Justices who are not biased idiots. It's all too often we see court cases full of 'bias', un-researched idiots, and Justices who fail to understand other points of view. (Case in point: See the 'Pirate Bay' trial where the Lawyers failed to properly explain BitTorrent and 'DHT' yet Pirate Bay was still prosecuted)
  • Soulmantle - November 4, 2010 7:18 a.m.

How would this law affect games arcades? Would they have to build a special over 18 section with a bouncer to check ID's?
  • jmcgrotty - November 4, 2010 6:21 a.m.

Just like everyone else here, I have been playing video games my whole life, with it adding up to almost 30 years and I can say without a doubt that "video games" and "art" should never be used in the same sentence unless it's "Video games are not art". Give me a break.
  • rpadTVbsuKenyan5000 - November 4, 2010 5:11 a.m.

"Strange that those MK-playing kids made it so far in their careers without being inspired to murder someone." Favorite quote from this article! haha.
  • Darkhawk - November 4, 2010 4:42 a.m.

D'oh! Link disappeared when I hit submit... I've created an image I think perfectly suits the issue: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/thepowell/SchwarzeneggervsEMA.jpg
  • Darkhawk - November 4, 2010 4:41 a.m.

How has nobody thought this up yet?
  • GreasySTEVE927 - November 4, 2010 4:13 a.m.

You haven't played Mortal Kombat? Sir you have no credibility!
  • rpadTVbsuKenyan5000 - November 4, 2010 4:05 a.m.

"If kids who play violent video games grow up to kill people, then kids who play sports video games must grow up to be athletic legends, right? Screw practice, let’s buy the football team another copy of Madden." –Unattributed, from a forum I read a long time ago
  • Brutalicus - November 4, 2010 4:02 a.m.

Wait, so if I move to Canada, I get away from Gears 3? Add that to being near Bioware and being near Rush, and I think I'll catch you later, U.S... But good article. Reading about court cases, especially First Amendment ones, usually brings me great pain, but I enjoyed this. I feel more informed already.
  • Mamudo - November 4, 2010 2:56 a.m.

Reading this put a smile on my face
  • mattchew86 - November 4, 2010 2:56 a.m.

Great article GR. I read through the brief yesterday, but this was really good at wrapping it all up.
  • Pyrovizard - November 4, 2010 1:55 a.m.

kids who played mortal kombat grew up to be supreme court justices, if we elected them i know who'd i vote for, sadly they are appointed :(
  • Cwf2008 - November 4, 2010 1:50 a.m.

I bet some of the people that actually showed up in front of the Supreme Court's building were actually there for the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear but didn't realize that it was on Saturday, not Tuesday
  • Shenlong4517 - November 4, 2010 1:50 a.m.

I always wantedto move to Canada. Seriously speaking, though, I love how you guys are able to keep the facts true (bias or no) while making them concise and entertaining. Please keep it up!
  • BigTuna - November 4, 2010 1:46 a.m.

Great article, a nice little summary of some of the more humorous and important moments. Justice Sotomayor wins the BAMF of the day award.
  • D0CCON - November 4, 2010 1:43 a.m.

I was so hoping Morazzini would fall into the GTA trap, since GTA actually is artistic and has plot. Anyways, this and the entire document were interesting reads, especially with James Madison and Vulcans.