• Armondo28 - April 18, 2014 2:20 p.m.

Nintendo's problem is... Nintendo. The way they run the company, the disdain with which they treat their customers, the bizarre decisions they've made lately, as a fan of Nintendo's games, its been extremely difficult to watch. No one seems to be acknowledging this, but if they don't knock E3 out of the park, I mean really wow us, they may very well be out of the home console business for quite a while. I don't see how they can launch a new machine in three years if the Wii u totally dies, nor would I be able to see anyone buying it if they tried. I fully expect to see heads rolling by years end...
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - April 18, 2014 11:26 a.m.

Edit, Corrected Headline: Stop exploiting your most loyal fan, Nintendo
  • jedisamurai - April 18, 2014 2:58 p.m.

Here's an even better one: Why Nintendo does deserve loyal fans.
  • jedisamurai - April 18, 2014 2:58 p.m.

Doesn't
  • Vonter - April 18, 2014 10:09 a.m.

It's almost like people can choose to buy or not the same game in different platforms. I know it'll be good, convenient, the standard etc. But what can you do? I don't support the buying the same game twice, hell most of the VC I've got it free from the Club Nintendo reward service. I think the problem as of now is tracking the people who indeed have bought it twice and give them credit. On the other hand maybe since they already make GBA games work well in Wii U they could introduce the crossbuy thing with GBA games when they eventually work on the 3DS (the ambassador don't counts because that was a custom build and not an official emulator (I've heard it doesn't look like the other VC games)).
  • SacredMedal - April 18, 2014 9:38 a.m.

I honestly don't understand why people don't know how to really sit down and just give them time. Sure, Nintendo has to have been on their shit for a while, but instead of complaining about it, ask Nintendo of America about it. Rather than ranting about "Nintendo's inability to support their own system," or the now present VC games. You don't understand how easy it is to say: "They did this, why can't you?" There's a method to their madness, you've just gotta wait and see. Besides, the only reason to complain about anything Nintendo right now would be those who are just impatient about the flagship games coming in a few months. But, that's just MO, so I'll just leave yours to you.
  • BladedFalcon - April 19, 2014 12:49 a.m.

The 3DS has been out for more than 3 years. They even send out 10 free GBA games as part of the ambassador program... AND YET, to this day, none of those games are available for purchase on the 3DS store. In the case of those games, you can't even claim it isn't or they can't... THEY LITERALLY HAVE THEM PLAYABLE ALREADY, yet decide not to sell them to those who didn't get the ambassador program... Go on, defend this. I want to see you try.
  • SomeOddGuy - April 20, 2014 3:22 p.m.

I'll gladly take up your offer on this one man, though I have to admit, it would really require me to use some link sources in order to push my point through. That and a TON of reading.(I'll put a TL;DR for humor sake) From my understanding of what's going on, the development company currently working on the GBA transfers for the Wii U GBA titles isn't actually the usual company that handles Virtual Console emulation on both the Wii U and 3DS. It's actually M2, the developers responsible for the ports of the Genesis(Megadrive)/Arcade games being run in 3D on the 3DS, whose done magnificent work when it comes to the amount of customization that each game offers.(hell, even for the GBA games where you can turn on/off smoothing filters and have a full high quality page by page image scan of the original instructions manual for each and every GBA game they put out on the Wii U). Their handling of these ports have been nothing less than amazing and something that I really wished Nintendo themselves would get off their asses and try and provide this level of standard and quality...(http://www .nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/emulation_experts_m2_worked_with_nintendo_on_wii_u_virtual_console_gba_games) The ports for the GBA that Nintendo themselves provided for the Ambassador Program were rather rushed, being put up with the bare minimum standard to function on the console and felt just like you'd expect them to(I suppose). It seemed like they must have scripted the original DS OS to 'emulate' these games through that software and run scaled through the uneven pixel ratio, and even outright refuses to let you simply close the system for sleep mode just like the original DS would when it was playing a GBA game. It's pretty clear that the bare minimum was put into these ports as it seems like these games aren't even running natively like the NES and Game Boy games, and I'd rather see higher quality ports put to work rather than what they had provided since they essentially gave us 'DSiWare titles'. Now this is where things will get interesting. During the development cycle of the porting of the 3D Genesis(Megadrive)/Arcade titles, it was interesting to see what the devs were talking about when they explained the hurdles they had to porting the genesis titles onto the 3DS, especially citing back to the PS2 era where they had troubles trying to port Genesis(Megadrive) titles onto that system and having to find loopholes to try and properly emulate them. Considering the situation that the GBA games that Nintendo initially released onto the 3DS aren't actually being 'natively run' on the main OS but rather the emulated DS mode(which is somehow emulating them too), it seems like much more work would be needed to get a GBA game re-purposed to run on the hardware natively, especially if direct ports of Genesis(Megadrive) titles onto the system. (http://www .siliconera.com/2013/12/03/emulating-megadrive-3ds-isnt-easy-enter-3d-sonic-hedgehog/) I'll be honest in saying I'm really hoping Nintendo is willing to make a contract with M2 to do many more GBA games since I really love their work on handling ports, hopefully retooling something for the 3DS if they can.(they probably could, especially if they got Galaxy Force 2 running in 3D on the 3DS) I won't lie in saying that I very much tire of the way Nintendo is handling the VC in every territory outside of Japan(where they've already got all the FF titles, almost every Mario game, Secret of Mana, and piles upon piles of releases every week just for the Wii U VC alone). This is probably what I'd have to guess is the reason why the GBA games that were given to Ambassadors have not seen release on the 3DS since in comparison to the Natively ran VC titles, these would be utter S@#$% in comparison to release for the price tag due to their bare compatibility with the system. Nintendo also said that they wouldn't ever be sold to the public back when, but that's a pretty lame reason no matter how one looks at it. The TL;DR: New GBA ports for Wii U are made by the awesome M2. Old GBA releases are pretty awful. I wish M2 would port more amazing games...(http://www .siliconera.com/2013/12/03/emulating-megadrive-3ds-isnt-easy-enter-3d-sonic-hedgehog/)
  • Jackonomics2.0 - April 18, 2014 9:30 a.m.

Its complicated in terms of hardware being a bitch. There needs to be a limit because its a 3DS, not a PSvita, it cant exactly run big games like say N64 games so easily emulation wise. They should allows a certain connection that lets certain games be shared while showing a restriction for obvious ones. Otherwise no shit, Nintendo is slow what else is new?
  • Waldo - April 18, 2014 8:52 a.m.

I don't know the gritty details of coding or differing platforms, but it is always hard not to say "Steam lets me do this, why not Nintendo/Xbox/PS". You're right for sure; if Steam allows copies for Windows, Linux, Mac all with one purchase, then how hard could it be for the console guys to port games between there own brands? If Windows and Mac can get along, surely the Wii U and 3DS can too.
  • Trollkitten - April 18, 2014 8:47 a.m.

Nintendo has so many things that people want to be fixed, they're probably having trouble keeping track of just the ones they currently know about, assuming they're keeping track. I don't know what goes on behind their company doors, but reading all these articles complaining about ANY company's business practices reminds me of various Dilbert strips.
  • Divine Paladin - April 18, 2014 7:51 a.m.

Isn't it a bit late to jump on the "merge Nintendo accounts" train? I vaguely recall Nintendo stating that a fix was in the works already. I also find it a bit of a dick move to start bitching about GBA titles on 3DS right after they JUST got them working on Wii U. Yeah, we had a few Ambassador games, but I don't recall any GBA games after that, and Nintendo has shown no sign of throwing them on (probably until they get the linked-account shit done). It just sounds like an entitled kid's whining, to me. Is Nintendo slow? Oh hell yes. Incredibly so sometimes. But this VC issue has been known for years now, and has been beaten to death by other sites. We have all already heard this same argument dozens of times on less-enjoyable sites. The argument is perfectly valid. But we're a third of the way through 2014 reading an early-2013 argument. (And yes, I realize my argument can easily make the point of "it's 2014 and they're still not doing this," showing the scale of the issue. But I'm not trying to argue the issue - just the amount of time GR waited to touch on it.)
  • db1331 - April 18, 2014 6:38 a.m.

This article is 100% correct. I'd like to see this idea taken a step further in the future. I'd like to see the ability to purchase a license for a digital copy of a game from a developer, and then have the ability to play that game on ANY system you own that said game is released for. For example, I own Borderlands 2 and the season pass on PC. I would love to also be able to play it on PS3, so I can play it in split screen with my wife. But to do that, I'd have to buy another copy of the game, and another season pass. I already paid $70 or so for the game. Why can't I just download it again on a different platform? I'd like to see a linked ID at the developer level, say with Activision. So I could say, OK Activision, this is my Steam account, this is my PSN account, and here is my Wii Account. Then, you buy a license of the game, and it unlocks on all platforms. Obviously, there would have to be some serious security put into place to stop people from sharing accounts, so they can keep people from sharing games. They could even make it so one account can only play the game on one platform at a time. This is why I was bummed to see the Xbone drop always online. I think that was the first step towards this. Anyway, spot on about Nintendo. I have ~30 games on the Wii Virtual Console, and a few more on the 3DS one. I should automatically get all those games again on any system I buy from Nintendo that supports them. Don't they also charge you an extra buck or two if you want to be able to play VC games on the Wii U gamepad screen?
  • Pruman - April 18, 2014 5:46 a.m.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am NOT happy with the Virtual Console situation on the Wii U. I get that the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS are all different platforms with different architectures, which is how they justify charging for each one. However, if you buy a game on Steam, and it has a Linux or Mac version, you get that version for free, and Sony throws in Vita versions as you mentioned. I would wager the process to port an entire game to those platforms is not exactly trivial, as opposed to re-writing the NES/SNES emulator for a different Nintendo system and plugging ROMs into it (also probably not trivial, but you only have to do it once for all games, as opposed to once per game). If I bought a VC game on the Wii, it should work on the Wii U. I don't care if it only costs a buck, I refuse to pay that on principle. I already paid once! Does Steam make you pay again when you swap out a PC component?!!? By doing this, Nintendo is basically punishing their most loyal customers, when they should be encouraging them. What I find most incredibly aggravating is that they spent the time to figure out how beam Wii Mode's picture to the GamePad, but not activate the GamePad controls. This results in a ridiculous situation where you need to fire up a Wiimote and classic controller to play VC games on the GamePad. Did no one at Nintendo contemplate how insane this is? It would be like going to a sushi restaurant where the forks and knives are glued to the table and you're forced to use chopsticks. They couldn't somehow trick Wii Mode into thinking the GamePad is a classic controller? Give me a break!
  • Swedish_Chef - April 18, 2014 5:33 a.m.

So in a nutshell NINTENDO HURRY UP AND SET UP A UNIFIED ACCOUNT SYSTEM ALREADY!
  • winner2 - April 18, 2014 5:02 a.m.

That sounds about right, at least as far as that Nintendo's been weird
  • Shigeruken - April 17, 2014 11:46 p.m.

I'd like it if Nintendo stopped exploiting smaller countries by region locking their consoles, charging a ridiculous amount for content, and not bothering to release huge titles like Shin Megami Tensei 4 in those locked regions. Until a few months ago, our eshop didn't even get new releases. Even now we're stuck with only the biggest mainstream games, and they cost more on the shop than in retail stores most of the time. I would really like to import a few Japanese games, but I'm not able to buy a second console to do so. Owning a Nintendo product In New Zealand means your a loyal fan. There's so little value in their products due to inflation of the rrp of games and region lock that spending so much money on one of their devices is practically insane.
  • shawksta - April 17, 2014 10:15 p.m.

Sure, why not.
  • homestar99 - April 17, 2014 8:19 p.m.

As long as this is going on I'd like to add on to this with another statement. Why hasn't Nintendo jumped aboard the achievement/trophy bandwagon? You think it'd make sense seeing as how every other console and PC do it. But they just aren't doing it. Nintendo doesn't seem to innovate, ever, it's always the same installments of the same franchises over and over again in a increasingly alarming cash grab. Nintendo has never handled third party support well ever since the Wii's release. The Wii's motion controller and SD only picture basically meant shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. So the Wii had to rely on the franchises that Nintendo owned. The Wii U took the fuck up to the next step by continuing to use a casual gamer gimmick. Casuals usually don't upgrade until what they have breaks and the Wii doesn't break in very many instances. That meant that they now only had their core fanbase and gamers in general. But then the screen controller was another shot fired at third party developers so they just had the core fanbase and entitled shits, er, I mean children. My point is that Nintendo keeps missteping and killing their sales numbers. If it wasn't for the 3DS sales attracting more sales they would've already went the way of the dodo. Nintendo needs new franchises and a console that doesn't make third party devs want to hurl. The only way for them to survive is to appeal to those they once catered for: The Gamers.
  • brickman409 - April 17, 2014 9:16 p.m.

Nintendo's answer to achievements are Miiverse stamps. They don't have as much support as achievements or trophies and they're kind of limited in function, but I like them, they're a unique and fun way of showing off your in game progress.