• Vonter - November 15, 2013 9:10 a.m.

"It also makes an implicit statement that family and kid-focused games aren’t worthy of as much effort." This is what worries me the most and always makes me defend more than I should Nintendo. I like that games are continually challenging gamers since well most have grown up. But I dislike that the M-Rated game is the only type of games that can have ambition. Like I said before I thought Knack could at least be like Kameo, or a Sly type of game. From a general perspective having only mature games makes in the long run things boring, mostly since there is a lack of levity that contrasted with conflict makes us care about what happens. From a personal perspective I also want to be excited for games that don't take themselves to seriously, you know, only having fun with themselves.
  • shawksta - November 15, 2013 11:07 a.m.

This Whether people shit on Nintendo or not, the plain fact is that they are the only few out there who bother kicking their ass making games for EVERYONE and not limit themselves. Sure, they have a problem not stepping out of their borders outside Zelda and Fire Emblem to cater to the players wanting a more serious and Mature game, but in these circumstances it makes you happy they even care at all to make games that are both serious and the entire family can enjoy without having to rely on a Mature appearence.
  • ParagonT - November 15, 2013 12:30 p.m.

I just shit on them since none of their games seem to have any type of story or point at all besides "Collect all the stars!" or "Princess needs saving". I enjoy Nintendo's IP's, but they never seem to get to stretch their wings and try something new. Their usually just put into nearly every game, and the sad thing is that characters can apparently sell the game on its own. Not the story, not the universe, just the characters. Would Brawl sell without the characters? I doubt it. Thats like asking for the least amount of work possible, and I'm sure Nintendo is happy to give everyone that. Racing game? Slap Mario in it, sell millions. Party game? Yoshi. I love the IP's, don't get me wrong, but its high time they start making new ones to give the yearly recycled ones a break, or try something new. But thats just me.
  • shawksta - November 15, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Also, smash bros has shown its quality many times. Its not simply liked for its Nintendo characters. Playstation Allstars didnt really nail it because the game itself wasnt built right, as fun as it is.
  • Vonter - November 15, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Its like with Megaman or [classic] Castlevania. Instead of making a plot it took that time to develop clever game design both in its levels and enemies (also music). There's a concept behind the simple narrative. I like storytelling in games, especially if it can be both dramatic and funny. But sadly people seem to want games to become movies or cinematic entertainment and I personally don't like the prospect of just going along with what movies do. Two games I wish I could have played are Journey and Puppeteer, because they seem to embrace storytelling through gameplay. That's nice. But I also like games that want to be games despite the tropes that every platformer ever made revolves around a kidnapping. Harmoknight even though it doesn't gave you freedom was a very funny game that had a very imaginative concept behind, despite the cliche story. So yeah all this is mainly saying that I feel Nintendo still makes games and most of the industry want to make interactive storytelling. Also if we add a business perspective that's why Nintendo doesn't make new IPs (they think Epic Yarn wouldn't have sell without Kirby, also they have mentioned not having something really special to bring Starfox or F-zero back). Even the two previous games I mentioned for the PS3 are risks since they sold little despite their critical praise.
  • shawksta - November 15, 2013 11:16 p.m.

EXACTLY As i stated before, Nintendo works in the way where they think of an Idea first, not if they want to make a new IP. Then they see if they have a series that can take advantage of said idea, which is mostly why Kirby and Yoshi has been very bizarre in their series, Epic Yarn especially wouldve been better a new IP, apparently the main protagonist was gonna be Prince fluff but of course he resembled Kirby too much. Miyamoto says he just doesnt know what to do with F-Zero and a fear i stated beforehand was that Mario Kart 8 having Zero gravity is possibly a nail in the coffin that F-Zero is dead, hopefully im wrong. As for Star Fox, iv'e heard they want to keep Star Fox internal, how it will go can be anybodies guess but right now Star Fox should fit in with its arcadish origins, and who better to handle it than Platinum Games. They love working with Nintendo so hopefully Nintendo will give them a chance.
  • ParagonT - November 16, 2013 5:53 a.m.

"I like storytelling in games, especially if it can be both dramatic and funny. But sadly people seem to want games to become movies or cinematic entertainment and I personally don't like the prospect of just going along with what movies do. " I don't think people want game to become movies, they're just tired of seeing the same one played out with a different character. You know why Nintendo consoles have always had lower power compared to their competition? Because it's easier to develop for, their characters and powers have already been made many years upon years ago with lower powered systems, all their mechanics usually stay the same (Mario spins, Yoshhi runs, Kirby sucks (lol), and so on...), many of their characters are nearly silent or just make noises, and finally they can sell it all based on the nostalgia and attachment people have with the characters growing up. So thats why I say its like asking for the least amount of work possible, they don't need to change the recipe, because the kids on the block will still buy it up. "Replayablity" usually coincides with the game being a arcade type of game, or being a collect-a-thon with a couple of hidden objects. Thats nothing really new or innovative. Its just an RPG aspect. I understand that the games can be fun, but I still think they're being rehashed. Whether thats a good thing for those that enjoys those games, or a bad thing for those looking from an outside prospective, if its fun play it. I'm not saying not to. But I think we can at least be honest enough to say what's true. PS and MS have become FPS-centric and mature while adding too many cutscenes instead of using gameplay to explain it, and Nintendo uses the same tropes, characters, and mechanics for nearly everything. Its like therapy hahaha. I'm not judging people as they play Nintendo, but I just want people to understand why I shit on it. And just because I poop on it sometimes doesn't mean I don't hate what the others of the big three do as well. I shit on everyone equally. Whats my con could be someones boon.
  • DoctorGordonFreeman - November 15, 2013 9:07 a.m.

I think we're all reading into this too much. The game had already been created, and discs had already been shipped around the world. This particular executive wasn't particularly pleased with the game, but that does not mean by any means that the developers of this game, from the start, thought "Hmm...we should just make a mediocre game for one of the biggest console launches of all time. Let's strive for a 7." Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.
  • BladedFalcon - November 15, 2013 8:56 a.m.

Yeah... i read that interview yesterday, and I raised a bushy eyebrow when I read that quote. It doesn't speak well of your game at all, if even the representatives behind the company expected average scores form the get go.
  • BladedFalcon - November 15, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Heck, if anything, unbridled ambition really does seem to get you far even when the end result isn't nearly as good. Just ask Peter Molineux and his success with he Fable series, a thoroughly mediocre to solid at best series that nevertheless usually got 9s or 8s thanks in big part from the obvious ambition and gusto Molineux injected into it.
  • Crapgamer - November 15, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Knack always looked like a PSN download title. Sony tried to pass it off as a big AAA experience on their new console. Obviously they weren't going into it with the mindset "Let's make an average game". Sony has a history of really bad launch lineups. The oddest thing to me is that Sony also marketed the PS4 as the ultimate gaming machine for hardcore gamer's, they even went so far as to poke fun of Microsoft for having entertainment as an option. The perplexing thing is, even with the entertainment stuff the Xbox One has more games and more variety of games as well. If you're going to walk the walk, you need to talk the talk too Sony.
  • semitope - November 15, 2013 8:39 a.m.

The author is reading too much into this. Yoshida does not make the game, he simply has an opinion about it. That does not mean the people behind it are not trying hard
  • Shigeruken - November 15, 2013 8:27 a.m.

My problem with this is that it was marketed as if it was intended to score above 70. If this was a $40 or $30 downloadable title, or free with PS+ the game would be much stronger. But everyone involved had to pretend it was something more than a dated mess.
  • ParagonT - November 15, 2013 8:05 a.m.

I agree with this. When was it ever a good idea to Aim for mediocre results? That seems like a slap in the face if you ask me.
  • semitope - November 15, 2013 8:35 a.m.

hoping for a 7 does not mean they were AIMING for a 7.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - November 15, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Implicitly, it does. Your score expectations surely tie into your perception of how good the game is during development, otherwise you'd just be pulling numbers out of mid-air.
  • Errrrbo - November 15, 2013 9:07 a.m.

I agree with semitrope. You can aim for a high score and still hope for at least a decent score.
  • ParagonT - November 15, 2013 9:38 a.m.

I just feel that its like saying your best is only expectant of a low score.
  • ParagonT - November 15, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Exactly.
  • ParagonT - November 15, 2013 8:55 a.m.

If they're confident that their game will only achieve a 7, that's setting their standards. If a 7 is all that you were hoping for, then obviously youre not going to be putting your best into the game which is being sold top retail price. Its basically the same thing. If I do my homework one night for Biology and I tell my tell my friend that I'm just hoping for a score of 70, then thats an indicator of the amount of work and time I put into it. That before turning it in, instead of trying harder with it or getting help to increase my expectations, I just turned it in (sent it to retail) with that low value of my work. Even then if you were to say that they "tried their best" on it, then wouldn't that mean their best is only comparative to a game of such an average score? That would then be an indicator of a terrible development and creative team. Yes, theres room for consumers to not just like it for some reason, but thats not as likely with all of the beta testing and team members that should have some comments about it.
  • semitope - November 15, 2013 9:01 a.m.

there's a lot more in the actual interview. Knack is that smash bros, mario kart sort of game. Not targeted at the hardcore gamers so not expected to get crazy good reviews. He was hoping it would manage a 7 at least doesn't mean they were targeting a 7. They had a game concept in mind and hoped it would be taken well.
  • ParagonT - November 15, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Then that just implies that their design team isn't up to snuff. Skyrim isn't targeted towards FPS shooter type of people or Smash Bros. kind of gamers, but it was generally hailed as a great game. So I don't personally think thats a valid argument to make in the defense of them.
  • TanookiMan - November 15, 2013 9:58 a.m.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "hardcore gamers" but I think both the titles you mentioned get taken fairly seriously. Especially smash bros, which is still played on the fighting circuits. And those games still get really good reviews.