• SideOfBeef - May 4, 2011 1:32 a.m.

Couldn't this really be applied to pretty much any story with any writers in any medium? Oh look, there goes another heroic but saucy main character. Anyways, a lot of these characters aren't even close. Legion and HK are only similar in that they're sort of both robots, and I don't know how much more variety you expect when you're already in a sci-fi universe. It's pretty hard to equip guns to a sentient cloud.
  • FVDub - May 4, 2011 1:08 a.m.

I thought Jolee Bindo was one of the strongest party characters in KOTOR? And I thought he survived unless Reven/You went crazy and killed everyone, which doesn't count cuz practically everyone died.
  • md1292 - May 4, 2011 12:39 a.m.

David Anderson is definitely useless. Thane is one of my favorite videogame characters! Good article.
  • soxknight1127 - May 4, 2011 12:35 a.m.

Love it, so true. Especially the Pile of Grey Sludge bit
  • GangsterJew92 - May 4, 2011 12:26 a.m.

I can't wait to talk every single one of these types in Mass Effect 3.
  • Tehk2 - May 4, 2011 12:19 a.m.

Can someone explain to me why this article lifts huge chunks from an incredibly similar (and by incredibly similar, I mean almost virtually identical in FAR too many sections to be a coincidence) to a Cracked.com that was written months ago? http://www.cracked.com/funny-3872-bioware/ Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks a helluva lot like plagiarism.
  • Yeager1122 - May 4, 2011 12:15 a.m.

Hey at least you get to kill kaiden boring bastard that he was easiest descion i ever made.
  • BladedFalcon - May 4, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Uh... Now sure Thane Can be Compared to Sten or Sagacious Zu in any way. Sure, he has a moral code, but unlike the other two he DOES have a sense of humor, and more personality to boot. But the one that makes me scratch my head the most is the last one... Agreed,HK-47 and Shale have a similar attitude, specially displaying their disdain for humans, but Legion does not show this at all, heck, if anything, he treats humans with a bit of reverence at best, or indifference at worst, but never disdain.He never dishes any insults either and I don;t remember being it pretentious or even showing a clear joy for killing as the other two. Those kinds of trios make me wonder if you guys found only two of a kind, and tried to pair them up with someone who just happens to share the profession/Race, but isn't really the same.
  • blitzpoisonpunk - May 3, 2011 11:31 p.m.

So what you're saying is.......Bioware stick to a popular formula?! QUICK! Someone warn Shakespeare!
  • Dreadnought - May 3, 2011 11:30 p.m.

golem, robot, same thing. golems are just like ancient robots.
  • TheBear - May 3, 2011 11:19 p.m.

Why wasn't Tali in the Awkward Hottie group? She fits way better than Liara. She became an information broker which probably requires some social skills.
  • n00b - May 3, 2011 10:38 p.m.

hey guys!!! before you know it wrpgs will be stale morality systems are overrated Junction System FTW //ends ambiguous sarcasm
  • inSovietRussiaDatesRecallBrettElston - May 3, 2011 10:35 p.m.

kinda surprised not to see any mention of sonic: dark brotherhood characters considering that they fit into some of the archetypes that this article creates
  • Letter11 - May 3, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Heh, the Useless Mentor part made me think of Detective Murtaugh, that's what you were going for right? "I'm gettin' too old for this shit!"
  • Foerster - May 3, 2011 9:59 p.m.

You notice the irony in basicly recycling a Cracked article about recycled characters? But yes, there are some character archetypes that Bioware loves to use. But it works in my opinion, as they add a new twist every time.
  • loladi - May 3, 2011 9:57 p.m.

nice article, needed a little more Carth, though. http://lovelyentropy.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/carth.jpg
  • Redeater - May 3, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Why the fuck haven't they made a sequel to Jade Empire?? Unless they are to busy crapping out another Dragon Age Sequel.
  • kyle94 - May 3, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't call Mission Vao a hottie. At most a cutie. Primarily because in KOTOR, she's 14...
  • Cosmis - May 3, 2011 9:33 p.m.

I don't know if I'd classify Mission as naive, and I don't know if I'd say Jolee was useless. Good article all the same, though.
  • sleepyMexican45 - May 3, 2011 9:32 p.m.

@Scoob - Yeh totally. Think about EVERY Bioware adventure game/RPG, then look at ALMOST THE ENTIRE BACK-CATOLOGUE OF WANK JRPGs. Mass Effect 3 will RULE.