Topics

News

• GoldenEagle1476 - November 20, 2013 2:40 p.m.

I don't think anyone's surprised.
  • mafyooz - November 20, 2013 12:11 a.m.

"alongside those many several launch games." - so which one is it many, or just several? ;)
  • Shigeruken - November 20, 2013 12:28 a.m.

Maybe it's an intentional hyperbolic litotes?
  • mafyooz - November 20, 2013 12:51 a.m.

It could be possible if I'm remembering rhetoric correctly (which I actually doubt because it's something I only briefly touched on in college, and that was about 20 years ago!), but I think it's much more likely that they couldn't decide which word to use and then forgot to delete one at all ;)
  • GOD - November 19, 2013 11:29 p.m.

I've never had a Nintendo handheld fail on my and I have all except the original gameboy, the DS Lite, and the DSi. In terms of consoles, no failures, although my Wii makes a horrible grinding noise when it runs a disc that is truly deafening. On the other hand it has yet to damage a disc when it does this, and I actually have wrapped it in a blanket, and then put it in a desk cabinet, while it was running to muffle the noise so I could finish playing the majority of Okami, and it never once overheated! That says a lot that when it's made into the worst fire hazard possible and it still doesn't stop working even after hours of constant play. I even played the entirety of Skyward Sword like this and not once did I have a problem.
  • mothbanquet - November 20, 2013 1:53 a.m.

Never had a Sega console fail on me either, while they were around. Is it safe to say they don't build 'em like they used to?
  • SnakeinmyBoot - November 20, 2013 4:46 p.m.

The thing about Sega and Nintendo is they are the last console manufacturers who's original focus was video games. (Well, Ninty made card, toys, and other things before moving mostly to games.) They wanted to sell one system to consumers a generation, so gamers would buy as many games as they could. Sega and Nintendo made sure their products were of the highest quality. Now we got a software company and a electronics company as the two main competitors in the market. Their mentality is they want you to buy software upgrades and new TVs every couple years. They are applying, at least subconsciously, planned obsolescence into the quality of their products and rushing them out the door to be first on the market. It definitely bit Microsoft with the RRoD, but it has been hurting anyone with a launch system since the PS1s that had to be flipped over to read discs to now. Now they are rushing to make enough systems for launch before fully testing the firmware and integrating features they showed off months ago. Even Nintendo rushed the WiiU out and made everyone download a huge update before getting started. So, they really don't make them like they used to.
  • Child Of Death - November 19, 2013 8:15 p.m.

The PS4 hardware failure complaints is wildly exaggrated.
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - November 19, 2013 8:54 p.m.

I have a suspicion you're correct. I'll wait one month in before believe any RROD-level hardware failure is effecting the PS4. Just seems a small ( but still somewhat alarming) percent of consoles are wonking out in the first week, and people immediately think the sky is falling.
  • Nano - November 19, 2013 7:47 p.m.

Failure rate of 360, PS3, Wii for comparison 24month Xbox 360 23.7% (11.7%, excluding RROD) PS3 10% Wii 2.7% 24hours Xbox 360 1.19% (0.59%, excluding RROD) PS3 0.57% Wii 0.31% Source: SquareTrade https://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbox360_PS3_Wii_Reliability_0809.pdf
  • Eightboll812 - November 19, 2013 6:54 p.m.

Weren't you the one who said: "The only flaw is the RROD issue with the 360, and they never made any promises in the first place that it was utterly reliable" Yeah, I thought so. Carry on troll.
  • birdro - November 19, 2013 6:18 p.m.

At this point, with so much having been said and retracted by both parties, I'd be interested in seeing a list of all the supposed features that were scheduled but cut for release. I'm not trying to say this in any malicious or biased way, i've just legitimately lost track of both consoles abilities at launch :S
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - November 19, 2013 5:40 p.m.

The current gen is 7 fucking years old. There's nothing premature about next gen
  • talleyXIV - November 20, 2013 12:18 p.m.

What they mean is that the consoles were rushed out before they were ready. It's like you are working on a car for 7 years and your neighbor you hate is about to finish his car so you rush yours and finish it. Sony and Microsoft felt the pressure mounting from each other and definitely launched before their console was completely ready, hence the issues.
  • GR_ZachBetka - November 20, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Great analogy, right on the mark.
  • CrKnight - November 19, 2013 4:58 p.m.

If a feature or product wont be ready in time for a launch, don't announce it! It's disappointing to hear things go away, but hearing new features be added is much more exciting. If you want to announce it at least say it won't be at launch. I'm glad I've held off on these launches just for the mess they've been.
  • TanookiMan - November 19, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I really hope "flat-lining" catches on! It's clever, and I'm tired of the "_____ of death" names (red ring, blue screen, blue light, etc.)
  • Cyberninja - November 19, 2013 3:23 p.m.

No matter what crap people give Nintendo their stuff has yet to fail me in anyway shape or form. I just hope Sony and Microsoft get their crap together soon for the good of everyone and lets hope X1 doesn't have another RRoD on their hands with Next Gen.
  • communinja - November 19, 2013 3:46 p.m.

Agreed. Nintendo make sure their systems work, and can actually be dragged behind a truck for a while, and still function (seriously, there is a video of a gamecube being dragged around behind a truck)