• Frieza - October 23, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Ohh boy. We're getting into this, arn't we? You know, I never understood why the early generations of Pokemon get so much hate. The original Super Mario doesn't get hate. The original LoZ doesn't get hate. So why does Pokemon? Anyway, here are my replies to the slides. @Slide 2: Ahh, the link cables. Good times. That was when mobile multiplier was a much more special and personal activity. I personally still prefer cables over wireless communication BECAUSE it was harder to do. With wireless connectivity, people all over the world can connect and play Pokemon together. Of course, this is a good thing, even I can recognize that... But at the same time, it also takes away from the experience of playing face to face with your friend at the playground. Why go through all the trouble of arranging a meeting place to go head to head with your friend when you can battle each other from the comfort of your own homes? Battling becomes much less of an event and more like a leisure activity. It takes away a lot of the excitement of having battles with your friends. I'm not trying to say wireless communication is a BAD thing. It just seems to take away the special feeling of battling your friends with a link cable. With a cable, it was much more inconvenient and time consuming to prepare, but in a way that made it special and exciting. Sometimes the easy and comfortable route isn't always the best. @Slide 3: I disagree with this one. In my opinion, this is one of the areas that the original games still do better than the current ones. Like the article said, traveling was very slow in the original games, and until you got the bicycle your journey around the region was very time consuming (and even with the bicycle it took you a pretty long time to get from one place to another). But instead of looking at this as a bad thing, i view this as one of the examples of a game's primitiveness and restrictiveness making it better. Because you're restricted to walking for a good portion of the game, you are exposed to the environment much more. Scenery becomes more recognizable as you spend more time in it, But now in the newer games, faster transportation is literally given to you for free, and very early in your game. While this does make transportation easier, it also encourages you to rush through the areas so you can get on with the story. You don't experience the world as much as you did in the older games. It feels unnatural, especially when NPCs give you a bike for no reason at all. You don't need to EARN the several hundred dollar bike. It's just given to you like it's a pamphlet or something. What's up with that? This is one of the main problems I have with the newer games. Each generation that comes out GF tries to make their games faster paced, so players won't get bored or impatient with their game. But at the same time, they're doing harm to the game while making the destination more important than the JOURNEY to the destination. They're throwing free bikes at us to encourage us to get through the routes as fast as we can, instead of making the routes places we need to slowly fight through. The latter not only makes the areas more memorable (for better or worse), but also makes reaching the destination much more of an accomplishment. This is the way I look at it. Call me old fashioned if you want, I do not care!. @Slide 4: "Grabbing both versions of each Pokémon release used to be the only socially acceptable way to snap up every monster there was so long as you wanted to be a respected member of society." Or you could have friends. Or siblings. Or cousins. Or neighbors. Or club members. Or bitches. Oh, but you didn't KNOW anybody who had the opposite version of you? You didn't KNOW anybody else that wasn't into Pokemon? If that was the case, then why would catching all the Pokemon make you a respected member of society? No one would care... But in all seriousness, this slide goes hand in hand with my point for slide 2. Trading Pokemon over WiFi, while convenient and easy, takes away the special feeling of trading Pokemon locally. It robs you of the emotions of doing the trade face to face. You can't see the excitement or, dare I say it, regret of your friend as he sends his Pokemon away to you, and the excitement he gets of retrieving your Pokemon. "But Frieza! Just because technology has improved and you can do everything over WiFi doesn't mean you can't play with your friends!" True. But why would you want to do that if it's so much easier to do it over WiFi? Why meet up with someone to trade when you can do it from the comfort of your own homes (I'm using this again. Sue me)? Or better yet, why trade with your friends when you can trade with people FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY!?!? How cool is that!? (But seriously, I'm not trying to deny that trading someone for a Japanese Pokemon is pretty cool) Kinda makes trading face to face seem pointless, huh? Aaaand I'm running out of characters. MORE TO COME SOON.
  • Frieza - October 23, 2013 2:34 p.m.

BACK. @Slide 5: I refer you to my point for slide 3. To start off my argument, I'll pull a quote from the article. "With EXP All/EXP Share and Pokémon X/Y’s ingenious new experience system, newer games allow you to speed through to evolutions that previously felt like lifelong accomplishments..." ...How is this a GOOD thing? Shouldn't working hard to level your Pokemon bring an overall better experience than quickly leveling them up to get to their final evolution? I mean, seriously. I can understand all the other points in this article (even though I may not agree with them completely), but this one I just can't understand. Since day 1 Pokemon games have encouraged the player to develop bonds with their Pokemon, to train them to be the very strongest using not only hard work, but love. Isn't making leveling quicker taking away some of the adventurous feel or raising Pokemon? I mean, back in the original games, leveling was much slower, but when your Pokemon evolved into its final form, or reached level 100, it was a proud and exciting moment! It was exciting because training Pokemon was a slow, hard, and sometimes tedious process. But once you reached your goal of evolving your Pokemon, it felt great! But now that leveling is easy and quick... Training your Pokemon has become more about the destination (final evo) than the journey getting there. Sure, evolving your Pokemon was ALWAYS about the destination, but the destination is only so fulfilling and exciting as the journey getting there. If the journey is easy and laid back, the destination is that less important. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, and this is my Pokemon Trainer side talking, but I really don't see how rushing through a game is a better way of playing a game than enjoying all that a game has to offer, even if it does result in a much slower journey. @Slide 6: But doesn't easier accessible Pokemon mean that their novelty becomes less existent? What's so special about having an event Pokemon or a super rare Pokemon if everyone can get it easily? Now I'm not trying to say that most Pokemon should be COMPLETELY unobtainable in a game, but when there is more of something, it loses its value. For example, if GF makes shiny Pokemon much easier to obtain, than everyone would have them, right? The appeal of shiny Pokemon doesn't solely come from the difference in coloration, but how RARE they were. Here's something from my personal experience. If you legitimately caught a shiny Pokemon, people at school would envy you. Me, who was so lucky to find that golden Hoothoot while my classmates were left with a plain brown Hoothoot. But no one was jealous of my Red Gyarados. Why? Because everyone had one. A red Gyarados wasn't special, because it was a plot Pokemon. Everyone encountered one, and everyone had the chance to catch one. But no one had the chance to catch a golden Hoothoot. And that's what made it special. R.I.P. Shiny Noctowl... ;_; @Slide 7: "Having 151 monsters is kind of pathetic, actually." ...Not... not really. Compared to the amount there is today? Sure. But for the time? No way! 151 Pokemon were A LOT back in the day. Not many games could boast such a number of obtainable creatures or playable characters. Such numbers were very impressive for a game restricted to the limited amount of space on a Game Boy cartridge. And believe it or not, it WAS enough to give people a wide verity of Pokemon to choose from. You could still go to the playground and find someone with a completely different team than yours. This is a minor point, but just because something is outdated today doesn't mean it was bad in the past. Sometimes you need to like something for WHAT IT IS, instead of compare it to standards it 15 years ahead of this time. Unfortunately, this is a point that most people seem to ignore when it comes to Pokemon. @Slide 9: The original games didn't need to reflect on all that fine stuff the newer games do. Why? Because it wasn't important (well, the REAL reason was because they didn't have the space to go into that stuff *cough*Slide7*coughweezhackspit*, but regardless). What was important was you and your Pokemon. The journey you went on to be the very best. Who cares about your human relationships? Pokemon were all you needed! Team Rocket? Fuck those guys! Who cares who they were, or what they did? They were just obsticals in your eyes, not villains. They were people you wanted to beat the crap out of because THEY WERE THERE! They were nothing but numbers to you! Nothing but punching bags for your Pokemon! I couldn't care less about Team Plasma and their morally questioning background, or that obese kid that likes to dance a lot, I just want to KICK ASS! ...But in all seriousness, you make a good point. I still prefer Green/Blue/Gary over and "friends" you start out with, or Team Rocket over Team Plasma, but I see where you're coming from. I'm just being a little silly. CONCLUSION TO COME.
  • Frieza - October 23, 2013 3 p.m.

Anyway, good article. I may not agree with most of what was posted, but respecting one's opinion is the first step towards world peace... Or something like that... At the end of the day, the point I want to get across is that instead of hating on something because it's outdated, you should instead like it for what it is. The original Pokemon games are primitive, that much is fact. It's unbalanced, it's buggy, and it sure as hell wasn't the best looking game out there. But did it do its job of entertaining gamers? Yes. Did it do its job of providing a fun, imaginative world perfect for escapism? Yes. Was it ENTERTAINING? Hell yes! So why do people give the older games so much hate? Because there are more advanced games out there? That's kind of a dumb reason. So instead of looking down on the games and saying how bad they were or how primitive they were when comparing them with games 15 years in the future, maybe we should look back and be thankful for what those games gave us, and enjoy them for what they are. After all, it's really silly hating the older games so much when people claim to love the franchise so much. Have respect for your elders, eh? End rant.
  • J-Fid - October 23, 2013 3:51 p.m.

You deserve a slow clap. I agree with just about everything you said. We should respect the older games and what they brought, rather than bash them to pieces. Also, it's still fun to play the older games. Each generation comes with different strategies, and activities. Crystal and Platinum are probably my two all-time favorite Pokemon games, and they're both still fun to play.
  • JarkayColt - October 24, 2013 3:49 a.m.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with everything you said, I still respect your opinion and the fact you looked at the whole thing objectively. Personally, I think much of the Gen I hate is specifically levied against Genwunners. By which I mean, there are plenty of people who became disenfranchised after say, Gen 1 or 2 and are so quick to bash the later gens for really superfluous reasons (GEN 5 SUX BECUZ ICE CREEM SRSLY) even though they probably never played them and without acknowledging the better parts. Which is why people then retort by pointing out Gen 1 was no better blah blah blah. It's like a vicious circle where nobody can win. Also it really does bother me how so many people still think Charizard is DA BEST EVAH, but that's neither here nor there. In any case, I think the theme of the improvements brought in later gens is all about giving the player options. The fact X and Y exists is of no detriment to any memories anyone might have of Red or Blue. You don't have to use the new Pokémon. You don't have to use the EXP. Share. You don't have to use Wonder Trade or the GTS. You don't even have to use the Running Shoes. But I bet you will. Because they all add up to an improved experience. And the games have just changed with the times. Even I remember that trying to get a battle or trade going on my old copy of Blue was a huge faff, and we barely had chance to play "on the playground" or even at all in school because you couldn't afford your stuff getting lost of stolen! In the internet age, less and less gets done face-to-face, especially with video games. Also, for the record, it took me 50 hours to get through X and beat the E4. That's the longest it's ever taken me to reach the post game in Pokémon. So even with getting tossed a Bike and all those other things to "speed the game up" it somehow made the game longer? I actually think I took the time to explore this game more than ever because it was just fun to find all the Pokémon in each Route and dabble in all the little side activities, and I think that was helped by the simultaneous release and lack of information. I do admit that the EXP Share was completely broken though. My highest level was nearly 80 when I went up against the Champion. I didn't want to turn it off because I was trying to level two weaker Pokémon at the same time. In previous games I would have given them an EXP. Share each but you can't do that now. However it would be handy if you've bred a team from Eggs and want to level them all up easily and simultaneously. EXP Share aside though, the other improvements to EXP (EXP on capture and boosted EXP from Pokémon Amie) are nice additions. But yeah, the franchise wouldn't be where it is today without Gen 1 and all the fervour that surrounded it, so we should at least look back on it fondly for that reason. Personally, I rather like that the games keep the original (albeit remastered now) GB Cries for older Pokémon because it acknowledges that legacy.
  • Sinosaur - October 23, 2013 4:27 p.m.

I do sort of like how its not as much of a slog to get a new Pokemon up to level partially because I actually never finished Pokemon Black because I had a weak team when I finished the last Gym and was headed to the Elite Four and it was taking ages to get even the good Pokemon I had up to standard on Victory Road. It wasn't fun, especially not battling the same (at most) 10 Pokemon over and over to grind levels. The Pokemon on Victory Road were actually some of the worst new ones in the game in my opinion.
  • slimjim441 - October 23, 2013 1:33 p.m.

I love the old games. They are my childhood. But X/Y have been outstanding. Pokemon is great, old and now. Except gen 5.
  • TheMcFinder - October 23, 2013 1:32 p.m.

Pokemon X is booty buns.
  • winner2 - October 23, 2013 1:48 p.m.

I'm seriously curious as to whether that's a compliment or insult
  • rainn'sgaydar - October 23, 2013 12:36 p.m.

And link cable trading was the absolute worst. Seems like I remember having to countdown from 3 before we'd talk to the trading room lady, cycle through the long conversation simultaneously, and hope we saved within 5 seconds of each other to get in the room. It was awful
  • rainn'sgaydar - October 23, 2013 12:33 p.m.

I love the improvements. The lessened amount of time it takes to do certain parts of the game has opened up the more time consuming sides of Pokemon to me. I'm finding myself more interested in competitive battle, breeding, and even chaining for shinies. If things were still as they were, I may not even finish the main story anymore. And I was one of the lucky ones who had a slew of friends into Pokemon. I can remember playing the TCG before school. I even completed my Blue version pokedex by trading for one last Red version exclusive at a high school football game. And still, things are better today. Except I wish we could still play the TCG and get real gym badges. I only got 3.
  • JarkayColt - October 23, 2013 12:27 p.m.

Decent points, but this really does only scratch the surface! I could talk all day about how the first few gens were complete trash by comparison. Alright, that's a bit harsh, but there have been TONNES of improvements since then. One of the biggest ones is the Physical/Special split in Diamond and Pearl. In fact, I think I got the most enjoyment out of Diamond and Pearl than any of the other games, and I played since the start. Not saying they're the best necessarily, but that's when I got really, REALLY into it with competitive battles etc. Also, it was the first game I fully completed the Pokédex in. And I mean all 493 of them. And I also have all of them except Meloetta in White 2. UGH. Also god that first image is so bright!
  • steven-adams - November 25, 2013 7:43 p.m.

I actually thinks the opposite. I grew up with Pokemon and I have been playing Pokemon since Red/Blue. I have continue to play every Pokemon ever since. Gen 1 Pokemon Red/Blue introduced us to the franchise and awesome Pokemon. The game was extremely fun. Red/Blue did have its flaws but it was the first game in the series. Not to mention it was even more amazing because of how much fun it was during the original GameBoy era. With Pokemon Gold/Silver came out it improved everything in my opinion, just as a true sequel should do in any game. The graphics where awesome, the day and night system and how you could only catch certain Pokemon in certain times and days, how certain Pokemon could only be found by smashing rocks and headbutting trees, adding new types, worthy second evolutions for certain Gen 1 Pokemon, the story was nothing spectacular but was great, fighting Red at the end, and most importantly the new Pokemon designs stayed true to the series. Also the fact that both Red/Blue and Gold/Silver had worthy rivals non of that wussy friends crap that we gotten since Ruby/Sapphire. In all honesty I think why I lot of people who played Pokemon since Gen 1, including me, like the original 151 Pokemon the best is because Ken Sugimori design and drew all of the original Pokemon himself. Ever since Gen one more and more people have been involve in the creation of Pokemon. You know everyone has different taste, and in all honesty there have been some awesome Pokemon throughout the years but very few in my opinion. I am really enjoy X/Y. Black/White had an awesome rival, N, not the other two dorks, and its plot is by far the best from any of the Generations. I found Pearl/Diamond the weakest of all the entries.