Topics

Pokemon

• Cyberninja - October 8, 2012 2:27 p.m.

The characters hair being a hat is a shocker.
  • Crimmy - October 8, 2012 7:07 p.m.

Seconded, I had no clue.
  • Elgyem - October 8, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Dynasty warriors+pokemon. That has some serious potential.
  • bamit11 - October 8, 2012 4:56 p.m.

Arbok has different marking for each region in Pokemon and Koffing's sprite is wrong in Red and Blue, with the skull and cross bones being above the face rather than below.
  • J-Fid - October 8, 2012 4:57 p.m.

Being the biggest Pokemon fan I know, I knew all of these. I can expand on a few: Slide 3: Oak has almost the same team as your Rival, even around the same levels. Most people think HE was supposed to have been the champion, not your Rival. Slide 10: The Unova and Orre regions are not based in Japan. They are based on New York City and Phoenix respectively. Slide 16: Other Pokemon related things that reference Pulseman: Barry's vs. theme borrows heavily from one of the songs. The move Volt Tackle is based off one of Pulseman's signature attacks (which in turn is based of Tekkaman's Voltekka).
  • GR_HenryGilbert - October 8, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Impressive additions, thanks. Though I should note I didn't write that every single region is based on somewhere in Japan, just that others after Kanto were.
  • J-Fid - October 8, 2012 7:28 p.m.

I must of thought it was implied. No big deal, I'm always glad to help when it comes to what I know best :)
  • RandomShadow44 - October 8, 2012 6:11 p.m.

I'm pretty sure every pokemon fan knew about the whole Ho-oh deal, but everything else was pretty interesting. I did know about the Kanto region and Ninetails basings because I know a little about Japan, but the professor Oak thing really surprised me.
  • Crabhand - October 8, 2012 8:01 p.m.

Some of the younger fans might not be familiar with the earlier episodes in the anime, so they wouldn't know it unless they specifically went back and watched the first season and realized it came out before Gold/Silver.
  • Aarononymous - October 8, 2012 6:18 p.m.

How about the theory that Cubone was originally meant to be an orphaned baby Kangaskhan and that it wears its mother's skull on its head? And that this was supposed to tie in with all that Pokemon Tower weirdness in Red/Blue? Or that Venomoth and Butterfree got their appearances switched at some stage in development, which explains why Butterfree looks so much more like Venonat and Venomoth looks so much more like Metapod?
  • CrashmanX - October 8, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Actually, those are both theories. The Kanghaskhan has a little bit of ground but the Venonat/Caterpie one is actually just speculation and hasn't been commented on, as far as I know.
  • Terranator - October 8, 2012 7:46 p.m.

This is kinda common knowledge but I'll ad my two cents: - Firstly Pikachu having the number #25 in the pokedex, is a mouse. What is the opposite of a mouse? A cat of course, and what pokemon most closely resembles a cat, Meowth, thats right, whose pokedex number is #52 the opposite of #25. - And secondly and matter on those legendary birds. We all know that Pokemon 2000 remains one of the greatest movies of all time, (next to Pokemon: the First Movie). The movie features Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, having the pokedex numbers #144, #145 and #146 respectively. It is no coincidence that these Pokemon have been ordered as such due to the last few letters of each word being; ArticUNO, ZapDOS and MolTRES (if you have no brace on the spanish language means one, two three).
  • ThatGamerDude - October 8, 2012 8:32 p.m.

It's also interesting to add that one of the glitch pokemon, ??, has an actual Pokedex entry in R/S/E.
  • JarkayColt - October 9, 2012 4:45 a.m.

Really interesting read; I like to think I'm a Pokémon nut but was actually surprised that there were 3 things here I didn't know. Also, funnily enough, the status of Brendan's hat-hair is STILL being debated. Lots of people bring up the fact that Pikachu wears his bandana in Brawl but not the rest of the "hat". He probably has black hair with a bleached top or something. Also, despite the fact that you mentioned Capsule Monsters in the "history" article Henry, I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that Rhydon was the first Pokémon ever created, which is bolstered by the fact that the generic 'Pokémon statues' and Subtitute are (still) made in its image. Likewise, Nidorino and Gengar were made at around the same time, which is why they fight in the intro to the first game. On top of that, James Turner is the first western Game Freak employee (British) to have had his monster designs appear in the game (Vanillite family, Golett family, Vullaby family) and was also the one to come up with the concept for the new game HarmoKnight (by which I mean, I don't think some people realise there's more than just Ken Sugimori doing all the designing.)
  • codystovall - October 9, 2012 6:18 a.m.

#8......duh.
  • ObliqueZombie - October 9, 2012 9:49 a.m.

Great read, I love these obscure facts.
  • Tyrande - October 9, 2012 12:44 p.m.

WTF theories!! http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Ash's_Coma
  • jackthemenace - October 9, 2012 1:01 p.m.

I know Ho-oh appeared in the anime before it was officially revealed, but (And DON'T hold me to this, I'm not 100% sure)- Did Lugia appear in the Pokemon Adventures Manga before Gold/Silver were released? I know it sort-of appeared during the Kanto arc of the manga, but- having only read it recently- I'm unsure of when it was actually released.
  • JarkayColt - October 10, 2012 4:09 a.m.

I haven't actually read the manga myself, but I looked into this 'cos you got me curious. Lugia does indeed appear in the finale of the Kanto arc of the manga (which I certainly didn't know, so that's probably notable in on itself) but apparantly wasn't released until 2000, whereas GS came out in Japan in 1999. However considering it's length, it must've been preplanned long before GS came out, and if you factor in how long it took to write/draw/publish and that it's in the Kanto arc, I reckon it was at least planned to coincide with GS if not beat it to shelves, especially because Lugia apparantly isn't referred to by name. Maybe it took longer to go to print than they wanted or something? Seems like a curious case anyway.
  • winner2 - October 9, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Number 15: Mind. Blown.