Topics

Android Ouya

• Mooshon - July 10, 2012 4:43 p.m.

Negative comments a bit premature boys. Judging by the way it smashed through it's 950k kickstarter goal to $1.4M and counting on the first day there looks to be a huge appetite for this. You're right that the specs are very much current gen but it's not really the point on this one. The open source aspect is what is grabbing people I'd say. Whether it properly takes off though will be purely down to added services and backing of the larger indie devs. Looks to have snagged Minecraft & Twitch TV already so not doing too badly. What interests me though is that with any new idea it is always the 'second' company launching a product, (to the now prepared market) that does it properly. Roll on the Steam box!
  • Travia220 - July 10, 2012 5:30 p.m.

Let's correct something here first. First off, this system is not on par with current gen. Not even close. This thing uses a Tegra 3 for it's processor. This is a ARM Processor mean for low power consumption thus it has very little horsepower to use. These processors a made for tablets for a reason. For instance, a Quadcore ARM will not perform anywhere close to a x86-64 Architecture CPU. No where close to it. While the 360 and PS3 use a PPC for their CPU's.. it's basically the same thing. ARM is not meant for high performance. It's meant for the exact same opposite. So no, this thing has no where even close to the same power as current gen. You are looking at Wii comparable power.. Which wasn't "Current" gen, it was outdated the day it launched. Secondly, Yes the system is targeted at hobbyist and a niche market. Thus my comment that this is not going to compete with nextgen or current gen. It will be a small market.. Reaching a million dollars is nothing. That's only 12,500 Backers... That's basically niche to the point of non-existent. I'm sure it will reach 30000-40000Backers.. but that's not a lot. The problem with so many backers is they are not making money from these people, yet still have to give a majority of them this system via the rewards system (Which if you've read horror stories regarding reward system for kickstarter you'd understand what these people are in for). They need to be able to actually sell this thing to make money and make the system grow. Who is going to buy this thing? Why would they buy it with the next consoles less then two years away? If it stays niche they won't be able to afford the network to maintain this console. On the software side of things, this device will have a proprietary marketplace. It's the only place people can sell their games and buy games for it. At least that's what they want to attempt to enforce. It will have a very minimal approval process, thus it's going to open doors for the scum of the internet. Can we say Potential Malware problems arising? As pointed out this is just an Android Device you use on your TV instead of looking at a tiny 10in Tablet Display. The PC is as free and open source as it gets to creating new ideas and releasing them. So how is this device going to differentiate itself from the PC?
  • ParagonT - July 10, 2012 7:22 p.m.

Agreed on all fronts, well said. I really want this to be pushed forward as well, but its lacking thought.
  • KidJustKid - July 11, 2012 10:48 a.m.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-3-processor.html - It's NVIDIA. Not making excuses, but it's possible you might have your wires crossed. I've backed it, as it feels like a Steambox in drag.
  • ParagonT - July 11, 2012 7:15 p.m.

I'm confused as to why your replying to me, unless this comment chain is messing up already.
  • paul212 - July 10, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Because 99$ is a lot cheaper then a Tegra 3 tablet, and tablets don't have high quality controllers. Plus tons of people would love playing their emulators on TV.
  • MayorOfAmerica - July 11, 2012 5:53 a.m.

Travia, well said! I will be looking forward to how this device will fare against the already very saturated market of phones, tablets, consoles and the PC. As you said, without people (other then it's backers) buying it, it will be impossible to maintain it.
  • ninjaemperor - July 10, 2012 5:37 p.m.

Agreed, I`m very much looking forward to seeing what this can do for indie development.
  • JayQ - July 10, 2012 4:06 p.m.

This thing will fail miserably if it ever even gets made. It's basically an Android tablet with a controller you plug into your tv. Ok, so I'll be able to play mobile games with a controller on my TV...who cares. If anyone manages to make a decent game on it the console itself is promoted as a freely hackable device so I'm guessing the hacking and cheating will be enormous in any online game. Plus piracy will be huge so no actual dev's will touch the thing. It will be a console for user made games. Also, many people are excited because you'll be able to run emulators, but I think they will make it so you can't run emulators because that just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
  • Travia220 - July 10, 2012 1 p.m.

To many concerns to back this. How are they going to make it profitable if no license fees? No Dev Kit Fees? How are they going to pay for the back-end for their network? Let's not forget how cutthroat the console market is. This device is due to flop for a lot of reasons. The hardware is basically on par or worse than the current Wii.. What exactly are their plans? How will they survive when the technology is obsolete before it's even released compared to even SmartPhones? Why in gods name would anyone pay 99$ To play Tablet games on their TV? There is basically nothing impressive about this. They are attempting to take the PC concept and apply it to a console with no reason business plan. The hardware won't make a profit.. they won't have enough for mass production.. Everything about this screams Vaporware or Scam. For people who think this is "Competition" For the big three... you are ignorant. I would assume this Kickstarter is only doing so well is because people think they will "Stick" it to the big three console developers.. haha. This "Console" *cough* tablet *cough* will join the console graveyard with every failed console device.
  • rampagedeluxe - July 10, 2012 2:12 p.m.

You seem very sure of yourself, but you are overlooking many things. Since you think you're so smart, I'll let you figure out your mistakes on your own.
  • Travia220 - July 10, 2012 3:24 p.m.

The idiots funding this project are overlooking a lot of things. I'll let you figure those out yourself.
  • sean-robinson - July 10, 2012 4:08 p.m.

You are not the sharpest tool in the box. Think you might be missing the bigger picture. And perhaps a few brain cells...
  • Travia220 - July 10, 2012 4:14 p.m.

Such as what? Feel free to enlighten me with your vast knowledge. I have this strange feeling you have nothing of worth saying . The fact is these "Designers" have not given enough relevant information on this device, yet people are throwing gobs of money at it.
  • Tjwoods18 - July 10, 2012 6:07 p.m.

It is just the heat of the moment kind of thing. Indie games are ok now and then but they tend to get boring sooner or later.
  • ParagonT - July 10, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Yeah, don't worry about them, they have no idea what they're talking about.
  • ParagonT - July 10, 2012 7:24 p.m.

Agreed on this as well.
  • ObliqueZombie - July 10, 2012 12:58 p.m.

This is looking astrounding, but not to sound picky, I hope it has the horsepower of a PC and the ease of a console. I wouldn't want it to fall behind so fast. Regardless, when I get the money, this is going to be an instant buy. I hope it does well, I really do.
  • Travia220 - July 10, 2012 1:21 p.m.

It uses Tablet Components. It's no where near the power of a PC.. We are talking the specs aren't even better than the Vita from the looks of it.
  • Shadow Of Death - July 10, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I backed this, getting one of the consoles. They're disappearing fast, though they MAY add more since they did so after the first run ran out (I got one of the $99 ones. Would have liked to get one of the $95 ones). Passed on the second controller since...who would I play with locally? I doubt THAT many games would support 2 players anyway. Graphically speaking, I expect the games to be all tablet/phone types. Full 3D with heavy action is asking way too much of this device, I should think. I don't have an Android based device, so this will be good for me, I think.
  • Turtman - July 10, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Still not sure how I feel about this, but it sure is interesting to shake things up a bit
  • fourteenaha - July 10, 2012 10:01 a.m.

Very promising, the console market is in a bit of a state at the moment and most of the more interesting games are indie releases anyway coming through xbox live or PSN. Cut out that middle man and things could get really interesting.