• GOD - January 17, 2014 10:13 p.m.

They should form a new 1st Party studio, call it Well-Done, and hire everyone from the original Rare that no longer works for Microsoft (I doubt any of them still do).
  • shawksta - January 17, 2014 10:21 p.m.

Funny Grant Kirkhope wishes for that, to just gather the rest of the team that left, make a studio and make Banjo-Threeie for Wii U, but they know they cant with the name.
  • GOD - January 17, 2014 10:28 p.m.

Well there's also all those supposed game concepts that Rare came up with that MS rejected, so if Nintendo bought Rare back, would they gain ownership of all those concepts as well? Either way I'm not worried. As the article points out, Nintendo is set for like in terms of budget, but that doesn't mean they don't have people to answer to when it comes to sales so they'll probably take some measures to recover themselves. Just like with 3DS's failure to launch, the PSN shutdown, and the Xbox One reveal, the worse the situation the harder these companies will try to win everyone back.
  • shawksta - January 18, 2014 1:17 a.m.

Exactly. Its just nowadays its easier to point out the negatives.
  • krackmonkey - January 17, 2014 3:42 p.m.

Nintendo could do a lot of good for the WiiU by marrying it to their successful system, the 3DS - a "game boy player" type of peripheral that allowed for cartridge based DS/3DS games as well as hooks to the digitally purchased content from the now-unified marketplace would be a winning combination and help to stem the bleeding while some of the top-tier games finish development. Bigger picture, Nintendo should be developing the successor to the 3DS as the successor to the WiiU as well- imagine a handheld with some sort of flash-based storage that could dock (physically or wirelessly) to a HDMI enabled base with additional storage and broadband connectivity. That's what I want from Nintendo for my next system, I want the system I bring with me on my commute to be the same one I continue playing on my HDTV when I get home. The multi-pillar system is no longer a viable option for Nintendo, so I would hope the next generation consolidates their development prowess into one system, significantly capable of delivering the sort of experiences Nintendo delivers best. The WiiU has potential and the 3DS is a product of refining a great idea in effective ways, imagine how great the merging of those ideas into one cohesive product could be. Probably a pipe dream, but on paper it looks so appealing. "WiiDS" is just begging to be trademarked.
  • Outofmanyone - January 17, 2014 7:36 p.m.

That's an intriguing proposal, technology continues to become more and more mobile so something like that may work but I can't see Nintendo doing it because they want to make a profit from both systems and if they cut it down to one, would they sell enough units to compensate for the lack of the other console? I almost don't know what to say about Nintendo at this point, It's almost like talking to a wall, heh. I mean look, let's be honest, they have to restructure the online service for the Wii U; no party voice chat, horrendous messaging and friends list, no achievements/gaming score, no apps, the Virtual Console is severely lacking and so on. Where are the HD remakes from the Gamecube, Wii, and N64? Why does it take sooo long just to port an SNES game to the VC? Why can't I play some of the games I purchased online on the tablet, shouldn't all games be able to stream to it? Why would I use a Wii-mote and Nun chuck while I'm playing a game on the tablet... What's the purpose of using that tablet then!? Sigh.. Look at PSN's library of games compared to Nintendo's, it's no contest in terms of top-tier games. It baffles me but I'll get a headache thinking about it anymore so we'll just have to see if they learn their lesson as they did with the 3DS.
  • brickman409 - January 17, 2014 7:50 p.m.

I agree %100, the Wii U is perfect for playing DS/3DS games on the big screen. They also need more cross platform multiplayer between 3DS and Wii U. Those kind of things were sort of what I expected when Wii U was first announced. If they do this, they would bring a whole bunch of 3DS players to Wii U, and vice versa.
  • Redeater - January 17, 2014 2:24 p.m.

I'm sorry I can't hear anything over the deafening "I told you so's" from everyone 2-4 years ago. This shows how completely out of fucking touch Nintendo is. They dropped their forecast to LESS THAN A THIRD!! This, along with the revelation of their complete ignorance with online infrastructures is seriously making me questions Nintendo's sanity. Fucking eat it Nintendo. You are reaping exactly what you've been sowing for the last 6 years
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 17, 2014 3:19 p.m.

No shit. There was no way in history they we're gonna make that 9 million forecast. What else we're you expecting when they made such a high prediction? Its not a fucking surprise that they'll fail the forecast, I don't understand why people act like it is.
  • Nettacki - January 17, 2014 2:09 p.m.

The second idea sounds interesting, but keep this in mind: companies being bought out tends to lead to top talent leaving the company, thus making the companies worth less than before. So unless Nintendo is really good at negotiating with companies with their own interests and creative visions into making games for their system without compromising their vision in any way, maybe Nintendo should be cautious about the whole "buying spree" thing.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 17, 2014 2:02 p.m.

Its alright in Japan, mediocre in America and abysmal in the UK. Then again the fucking UK bought more copies of aliens Colonial Marines than Pokemon so there's clearly something wrong here.
  • Aquasol - January 19, 2014 1:21 a.m.

That was only compared to the individual Pokemon titles I thought, but selling even half of what Pokemon X/Y did is scary for a game like Colonial Marines...
  • talleyXIV - January 17, 2014 1:11 p.m.

I had heard that the December sales of around 470K were the best since launch but this is very different news. I guess they can hope that Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are the best selling games ever and maybe even cut the price more?
  • Gingy111 - January 17, 2014 12:14 p.m.

I would absolutely be on board with the second option. Im just hanging onto my money for when the WiiU has more games that will intrigue me enough to buy it. Specifically i'm waiting for the WiiU Zelda and SSB....Mario Kart too. Those with the Super Mario that came out recently will give me enough incentive to start doling out cash for franchises that I enjoy playing. The delay in getting these types of console sellers out for the WiiU has shat on its ability to sell I think.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 17, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Nintendo + Panic = Fun
  • shawksta - January 17, 2014 11:02 a.m.

Also it seems by the end of this month Nintendo and others like Renegade Kid are having an event, wonder if we'll see anything big there.
  • BladedFalcon - January 17, 2014 11:07 a.m.

MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENT: CANDY KONG IS IN DK: TROPICAL FREEZE! :D
  • Vonter - January 17, 2014 11:15 a.m.

I know you're joking but that'll make me happy if they bring her back and more animal buddies. Back on topic I think Nintendo would have to make some kind of announcement to its audience soon. But that's just me.
  • BladedFalcon - January 17, 2014 11:26 a.m.

There's nothing wrong with that kind of announcement per se. But when it becomes the ONLY announcement from the entire company, specially in a climate in which most people are expecting more things to turn their luck around, getting that as the only news is definitely kinda underwhelming.
  • Vonter - January 17, 2014 11:51 a.m.

Yeah like I told in the second paragraph I think the best call that Nintendo can make is call on the situation in a Nintendo Direct, give some of their ideas and give clearance to this bad situation. But who knows this is the company that for good and bad likes to keep things to itself.
  • BladedFalcon - January 17, 2014 12:56 p.m.

And considering the last Nintendo's Direct a month ago did NOTHING to address or improve the situation...
  • LordZarlon - January 17, 2014 2:07 p.m.

I actually appreciate your point very much. The announcing of new fighters is exciting to Smash Brothers fans, which I am not, but is irrelevant to someone like me. I need a new Metroid, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Starfox, etc. In the N64's hay day these franchises revolutionized the industry. Even at the end of the N64's run we got some pretty good entries in their less important franchises, Excitebike 64 I'm looking at you. The point is Nintendo was releasing a ton of games. This is the only reason I'm not buying it yet. They have a few good ones but Pikmin 3 is not a system seller to me.