Topics

jrpg

• Ilyere - August 3, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Let's give a shout-out to the weapons of JRPGs! How about stupidly oversized weapons such as Sephiroth's Masamune, which grew to stupid lengths in Kingdom Hearts? Or Lightning's Gunblade, which transforms between sword and gun? Or Wakka's Blitzball and Lulu's voodoo dolls, to name a few.
  • n00b - August 8, 2012 9:23 p.m.

kanji's chair in persona 4 damn im lovin me some persona 4 atm
  • JMarsella09 - August 3, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Is it wrong that I have a love for airships?
  • Scoob - August 3, 2012 2:09 p.m.

**Ever since Dragon Warrior graced the NES Also, thanks to Nintendo for running that old Nintendo Power promotion for a free copy of that game with a sub, and also thanks for being the one to bring Final Fantasy outside of Japan. Even if much of the subgenre has lost it's way in recent years and I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy release in over 10 years, I had a lot of fun with them growing up in the 90s.
  • KA87 - August 3, 2012 2 p.m.

They don’t always try to ruin the world; sometimes they try to destroy the time space continuum by getting you to kill them. Oh and P.S. that guy succeeded. At least until we find out what “to be continued …..” means. They don’t always start by destroying a town; sometimes they start by destroying a train full of people that are being purged. One last thing; it can be fun to go it alone. Just think about Dark Souls, if you choose to you can go through entire game alone and for the most part you are alone. I know it is not a JRPG, but it is a great example of a game where you can go it alone and have fun.
  • Nomino - August 3, 2012 1:45 p.m.

I like the mind-bending lengths that some JRPG stories will go to to create an awesome final boss. Fighting a god (or god-like being) that transforms several times while trying to justify its point of view is something you don't find in many other genres, but games like Xenoblade and The World Ends With You manage to create amazing adventures around the main baddie's motivations.
  • oddprophet - August 3, 2012 1:31 p.m.

Just gonna go ahead and say that the original FF6 for the SNES had virtually none of these cliches (The GBA release added the bonus dungeons). Sure it has a few mutations of a lot of the cliches (Such as the world getting destroyed rather than just the starting town) but other then that it's pretty annoying cliche free. Everyone should buy a dosen copies of the game and throw them at the people that don't love the game yet, Preferably GBA or SNES copies so that they don't break, or if you're feeling adventurous cut up a ps1 copy and imbed it into their skin (Ask your parents to help you cut it up) so that they have Final Fantasy 6 flowing in their blood. Am I obsessed with that game? Nah, I think I'm being rather modest here.
  • Scoob - August 3, 2012 2:03 p.m.

The PS1 version can burn in a fire. Everybody and their dog owns a Wii though, and the VC is probably the best way to get it these days. But I mostly agree with you here, and I think the reason why it's mostly cliche free is thanks to Amano, a one of a kind character designer. Oh, and I guess, also because it's an SNES game. Hard to get a cliched appearance when all you have to work with is a ~16x16 px character.
  • BladedFalcon - August 3, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Pretty much agreed, i was amused at seeing the list and noticing that none of those cliches really applied to FFVI, specially the villian one. Which kinda tells you how great the game is, really. Cause let's be frank, while cliches can be enjoyable, they are considered a mostly negative term for a reason.
  • Fhiend - August 3, 2012 3:47 p.m.

I thought the same thing reading this list. FF6 is quite simply the best game ever made..for me anyway. I bought the SFC version for 130$ when it first came out. Then bought the U.S. release when that came out. Then the soundtrack. Then the PS version. Then the GBA version. I am playing through it again on my ipad. That game defined my teen years. I measure every RPG since against that game. Obsessed? Yes, and not afraid to admit it. FF6 should be remade in HD with super hi-res sprites. I can dream.....
  • Corsair89 - August 3, 2012 1:23 p.m.

I love me some JRPG cliches.
  • runner - August 3, 2012 1:17 p.m.

For this article, by JRPGs don't you mean Nomura Tetsuya's JRPGs ?
  • ParagonT - August 3, 2012 12:55 p.m.

Hand gestures, that would be my top love hate relationship about JRPG's.